5.0 out of 5 stars A bringing together of history, magic and medicine of trees.
This book was an absolute joy to read with stunning colour illustrations. It will certainly add a very valuable resource to my bookshelf.
Published on 10 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty, but...
Gifford's Ogham associations are in some cases totally different from those found elsewhere. All very strange. But the photography is indeed stunning, for which it earns a grudging three stars.
Published on 17 Jan. 2007 by red valerian

5.0 out of 5 stars A bringing together of history, magic and medicine of trees., 10 May 2001
By A Customer
The book drew together exceptionally well each trees appearance, ancient wisdom, folklore, medicine and mythology. It enabled me to make connections in regards to my own healing (via Health Kinesiology)and experiences that words and modern science havn't begun to explain.
The book begins follows and explains the Celtic Tree Alphabet - the Ogham and it's associated tree calendar. This in turn forms a calendar of tree magic for the entire year.
What I particularly liked was the explicit way each tree was described from it's size, texture and shape of it's trunk, branches, leaves, flowers and berries. Where it was most likely to be found and why (e.g. the Hawthorn, a farie tree guards wells and springs). What happens if it is tendered (by animals or humans) or untendered; who likes to eat it. When the leaves flowers and/or berries appear and their colours through the year and to which family they belong. This then led onto it's mystical association's e.g. the Oak is symbolic of triumph through strength and endurance and is much revered and respected by the Welsh Druids. As well as it's healing properties e.g. the liquid from the boiled leaves of the Blackthorn can be used as a mouth wash and to soothe throat conditions such as tonsillitis and laryngitis. In vibrational medicine Greenman Blackthorn Essence is recommended for bringing hope and joy to the depressed and for stabilising emotions.
It's therefore hardly surprising that with this rich, handed down knowledge the Celts respected and lived in relative health and harmony with their surroundings. For myself many connections were made on different levels and I now have a greater understanding of myself and the aspects of nature I'm drawn to (often unconsciously).
So next time you feel drawn to something open your awareness and senses to what this is. Become curious and note how you feel emotionally and physically. If you do some detective work you'll probably discover that the experience links with a need on some level. I know for myself that the more I return to my roots, the natural energy patterns and remedies emerge and I heal myself (again often unconsciously at first) on different levels.
If you want to follow this further The Healing Remedies of Trees by Patrice Bouchardon (published by Gaia Books Ltd) has many exercises to learn how to enable this to happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 7 Dec. 2004
I bought this book when it first came out several years ago, and it was then and will always be one of my absolute favourites. Its full of the most wonderful photographs, and the information included in it is absolutely fascinating. I live in the city at the moment, and this book is my link back to the countryside. A definite must for anyone interested in trees, particularly those interested in divination and tree mythology.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Celtic Wisdom of Trees, 29 Nov. 2006
Les (Oost-Souburg, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Celtic Wisdom of Trees: Mysteries, Magic and Medicine (Paperback)
I have quite a number of books about trees. Recently I ordered this one. I have to say, it's really remarkable. The photos are beautiful, the information excellent. I can recommend this book for tree lovers or as a gift to a friend who has a passion for trees. The layout and use of the Ogham is an added bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 19 Nov. 2010
E. Bagnall "Emily" (South West England) - See all my reviews
My parents-in-law bought out this book when we were talking about trees over the dinner table. I thought it was just beautiful. The title makes it sound a little hippyish but I was pleasantly surprised by the well-rounded balance between the 'hippy' stuff and factual stuff about trees in this book.

Being a Forest School Leader, I find this book an excellent resource for boosting my own knowledge of trees and their place in our world and culture. Truly fascinating, lovely and easy to read.

Buy it so they will begin to re-print it since it's now gone out of print. It would be a lost gem if no more copies were to be made....

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change the way you view the British countryside, 29 Jun. 2008
Ms. R. Cant - See all my reviews
This is an absolutely lovely book, well-written, well researched and beautifully presented. If you are interested in the mystical and healing power of trees, or the history of animism in Britain, then I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty, but..., 17 Jan. 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wise book, 24 Mar. 2014
I find myself referring to the book often as I discover each tree in my new acre of garden and woodland. Mythical, magical and medicinal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Trees, 2 May 2009
Mr. W. L. Martin (South Hams, U.K.) - See all my reviews
A wonderful book. I cannot understand why it went out of print making the cost of paperback so much.

3.0 out of 5 stars beautiful images, some wisdom, fair amount of tenous assertions, 22 Jan. 2012
The images in this book are beautiful and really help one appreciate the beauty of each tree species, I found the healing and folklore a bit long winded and some of the ecological assertions rather dubious, for example the idea that wildwood survived much past roman times has been commonly denounced amongst ecologists yet she talks about it continuing until relativly recently. Worth a skim read but didn't really do it for me.

The Celtic Wisdom of Trees: Mysteries, Magic and Medicine
The Celtic Wisdom of Trees: Mysteries, Magic and Medicine by Jane Gifford (Paperback - 15 Mar. 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01