5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful icecream, 7 Dec 2008
This review is from: Ice Cream (Hardcover)
All the icecream books I have seen contain recipes which use cream,which personally I don't like.This book however has a number of recipes using mascarpone cheese which produces the most delicious icecream.
There are recipes using liquorice.southern comfort.honey,sherry and peppermint humbugs amongst other things(although not all at the same time I might add).
There is also a basic mascarpone recipe which you can use to create your own recipes.For a delicious vanilla icecream just add a teaspoon of real vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste to the basic mascarpone recipe.
There is a liquorice recipe in the book but I melt 150gm liquorice in 250ml milk and use the mascarpone recipe.Mmmm

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely recipes!, 20 Aug 2012
This review is from: Ice Cream (Hardcover)
I haven't tried any of the recipes in this book but here are my first impressions (I will update my review as soon as I receive my ice cream maker!). The recipes in this book can also be made by hand but I decided to order an ice cream maker as I think that the quality of the ice cream will be better! You can see that Liz Franklin loves ice cream: eating it and also creating new recipes. The photos in this book are quite nice, even if not extraordinary, but after reading all the recipes I think that I will have a lot of fun making them and serving them to family and friends! She gives a few pieces of advice on making ice cream including machinery and ingredients. She then starts with a very simple Mascarpone Ice Cream and goes on to more complex ones (but never farfetched or with very unusual ingredients) like Cherry Fudge Ice Cream, New York Cheesecake Ice Cream or Peppermint Humbug Ice Cream. I will have to look for a few ingredients in Britain or else in a British shop here in France though, as they are not usually sold in French supermarkets. There are also recipes for frozen yoghurt, sorbets, slushes, ice lollies and accompaniments (all come in metric measurements). I bought two other books: Scoop: The Little Handbook of Traditional Ice Cream Recipes and Ices: The Definitive Guide, actually not because I thought that they were the best ones around but because they were very cheap, so nice to get me started but till now I have to say that I am very happy with my choices! I can't wait to have my ice cream maker delivered.....

Ice Cream
Ice Cream by Liz Franklin (Hardcover - 31 Mar 2005)
8.99
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available