5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC SHORT EASY RECIPES
A book which says 'easy' and actually is!
I was sceptical about it at first. I have just made the Fresh Orange Cake with Sticky Glaze. page 45
The recipe said put the butter, sugar and basically all the ingredients into a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or an electic mixer.
I did it, and it worked. No beating this, that, or the other separately...
Published on 5 April 2008 by D.G.H.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy - yes, Plentiful - no!!
I bought this book as I make a lot of sponge cakes and have wanted to expand my 'range'. As the other reviewer said, there seems to be a requirement for some odd tins and to be honest I didn't feel that the book was worth the money - there were not enough recipes for what it costs.
Published on 25 July 2008 by Mrs. C. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy - yes, Plentiful - no!!, 25 July 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC SHORT EASY RECIPES, 5 April 2008
This review is from: Easy Cakes (Paperback)
A book which says 'easy' and actually is!
I did it, and it worked. No beating this, that, or the other separately.

I'm an old hand at baking and tend to add to or remove ingredients as I think fit in any recipe. In this one I put a knob of butter rather than the 120grams suggested and I was very pleased with the result.

A super cook book if you prefer your recipes to mostly have less than a dozen ingredients.

It did seem to recommend and have photos of a number of odd shaped cake tins, but I used a plain square loose based cake tin and it worked just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as Title Describes, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Easy Cakes (Paperback)
Most recipes are "Throw everything in the bowl, mix for 5 minutes and stick it in the oven. Results are every bit as good as the store bought variety. I wholeheartedly recommend this book. Pity it's out of print, but the Used copy I got from Amazon for 1p as as good as new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bundt Tin Recipes in metric quantities rather than cups!!!!!!, 1 May 2013
PhysalisFranchetti (Anglesey, North Wales, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Easy Cakes (Paperback)
I love Nordic ware bundt tins, many of which are now sold in the UK. The recipes are, however, hard to come by in metric quantities (I tried converting a cup of flour to any type of weight (ounces or grams) and I found a range of equivalent weights from 8.5 oz up to 12 oz). I contacted Nordic ware, but they don't have the recipes on their web-site in anything but cups. Also, you might think that you could use any cake recipe, but if you do, the definition from the tin isn't crisp enough. To get good mould definition, you need to be making quite a heavy batter. (Bundt cakes are essentially pound cakes - pound of this, pound of that, pound of the other).

Easy Cakes by Linda Collister is my first (and only) port of call when I want to make a bundt cake.

My favourite recipe is the chocolate spice cake - chocolate cake with lumps of crystallized ginger in the mix. It is absolutely divine, especially served with the recommended toffee sauce, which is dead easy to make. The kids ask for this recipe for every birthday cake (I made a pirate ship and the kids made the sails out of card, attached to kebab sticks). Beware though that the quantities in the book for this particular cake are half those required for the '10 cup' capacity pans - I just double the quantities (not needed for the other recipes). The cake is perfect every time. Serve the cake dusted with icing sugar (I'm not someone who has the time or the inclination to do advanced sugar craft:-) ).

The recipe for mini gingerbreads is a revelation - I never thought I could turn out a cake like this - very moist, and bursting with flavour. My only criticism of this recipe is where Linda C says heat the treacle, golden syrup and milk mixture 'gently' - mine curdled in a flash. My second go, I warmed the treacle, syrup mixture without the milk and added the two together to the contents of the food processor - this worked just fine.

I have tried other recipes in this book, such as the spiced date sour cream coffee cake (loved it), the whiskey coffee cake, and the hazelnut chocolate mini cakes (yum). I have also made the triple chocolate layer cake (not a bundt cake recipe), which is easy and impressive looking, covered with a chocolate butter-icing coating.

I have yet to make any of the daisy cake recipes, mostly because I was holding out for a daisy cake pan, but I am coming round to the idea that I may have to try one baked in a flat tin.

In my view, this book is an **absolute necessity**, if like me, you are comfortable with grams etc., but not cups, and have a passion for bundt tins.

P.S. If you have problems with cakes sticking to the bundt tins, buy Wilton cake release - I would never bake a bundt cake without it - there is never even the remotest hint of anything sticking.

5.0 out of 5 stars good ideas, 23 July 2014
I. M. Mcmillan "isabella" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Easy Cakes (Paperback)
as a gift, good recipes.....

Easy Cakes
Easy Cakes by Linda Collister (Paperback - 1 Sep 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01