on 4 May 2010
I use this textbook for my third year Psychology course. I've just finished reading it cover to cover, and it is a fantastic book. To be honest, cognitive psychology can be a little dry at times, and at other times, just plain confusing. However, I found this book to strike a good balance in being very readable, and also quite enjoyable. There are plenty of case studies, and current research discussed, and it is bang up to date.

I'm not going to say it was a joy to read at every point - there are some long and difficult pages, but it pays off to read them, and it doesn't sacrifice facts for always being a page-turner. It certainly gave me plenty information, and I feel like I have a good grasp of the subject after reading it.
on 3 November 2007
VEry useful book for my first year cognition lectures, and it's been recommended as a core text for 2nd year aswell. Readable, and not too complex to understand.
on 16 April 2010
The main reason to purchase this book is its up-to-date information but it's a difficult read and this can only be down to the author's style and not blamed on the topic itself; cognition can at times be difficult enough to understand and this book does not make it particularly easy. This makes it disappointing for a book frequently cited as a requirement for undergraduate reading. It is difficult because it does not flow across the topics well, the writing style can makes it quite hard to understand some topics and many studies are not well described to give you a good overall understanding of the research outcomes - you'll often be told that a study found something but will have no clear understanding why. I've discussed the book with others in my cognition classes and there was a general consensus that while it was bang up to date with the research in the area (an absolute must for a continually moving field), it just left a number of us with a sense of having to rote learn the information for your exams rather than really getting a good sense as to why an outcome was found.

I would strongly advise any undergrad who is looking to specifically learn about memory to read Alan Baddeley's Human Memory: Theory and Practice or Essentials of Human Memory (Cognitive Psychology) before this book because his writing is much more fluid and easier to get to grips with (I read Eysenck and Keane's, then Baddeley's and only after reading the latter could I come back to the former and get a clearer sense of what the book was describing) - unfortuntely Baddeley's is somewhat outdated now and that is the primary reason I would say you would need Eysenck and Keane's book.
on 16 October 2009
This was a recommended text for my cognitive psychology course, and it was most definitely a great boon to the work that I had to do in that course, as it contained a lot of information in easy to follow chapters. However, the book fell into the psychology cliché of being bland and monotonous, and not always easy to understand.

This book makes an excellent reference guide for specific theories on cognitive areas of psychology, and is best taken one section at a time, and in light of this wil be a very useful tool for any cognitive psychology module, be it on memory, perception or other areas.
on 20 April 2014
A well-planned depiction of the main Cognitive Psychology topics and research findings, useful for Psychology students and those with a keen interest. Would highly recommend.
on 21 January 2011
This book should be a very good guide to the topic and certainly contains lots of interesting studies, research and theories. However the writing style is impossibly difficult to follow and too many terms are used without explanation only adding to the confusion. More diagrams would have been very useful as the authors try to, unsuccessfully, describe experiments with words when pictures would have been better. If I wrote my uni assignments like this book I would be failing.
on 12 October 2013
If you think that this book is a bit too difficult for teaching Introduction to Cognitive Psychology, you are wrong. Contemporary students expect such knowledge to be taught. If still not convinced, recommend a different, second best book for your students, and use this for lecture preparation. You will be a star!
on 3 July 2014
I purchased this as it was recommended reading for my undergraduate psychology degree. It's divided into five parts: visual perception and attention, memory, language, thinking and reasoning and broadening horizons. As cognitive psychology is one of the more technical domains of psychology I found it a very useful resource to refer to whenever I wanted clarification on something. I also appreciate that along with providing the basic information about the topic it gives evaluative points that encourage you not to simply take the theories and studies at face value. Would recommend to anyone studying cognitive psychology.
on 28 February 2014
Bought for first year Uni course but have used for multiple years. Well written (just enough info., not to bombarded with theories/ sources etc.) Would recommend.
on 1 July 2013
this book was ok, nothing great. Did not explain things very clearly and it was a tough topic too. I only bought it as it was recommended by course.