5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic level, very readable.
Published on 4 May 2010 by Amazon Customer

Published on 16 April 2010 by Greg McGuinness

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic level, very readable., 4 May 2010
This review is from: Cognitive Psychology: A Student's Handbook, 6th Edition (Paperback)
I use this textbook for my third year Psychology course. I've just finished reading it cover to cover, and it is a fantastic book. To be honest, cognitive psychology can be a little dry at times, and at other times, just plain confusing. However, I found this book to strike a good balance in being very readable, and also quite enjoyable. There are plenty of case studies, and current research discussed, and it is bang up to date.

I'm not going to say it was a joy to read at every point - there are some long and difficult pages, but it pays off to read them, and it doesn't sacrifice facts for always being a page-turner. It certainly gave me plenty information, and I feel like I have a good grasp of the subject after reading it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good up to date ground - misses the mark sometimes clarifying research, 16 April 2010
The main reason to purchase this book is its up-to-date information but it's a difficult read and this can only be down to the author's style and not blamed on the topic itself; cognition can at times be difficult enough to understand and this book does not make it particularly easy. This makes it disappointing for a book frequently cited as a requirement for undergraduate reading. It is difficult because it does not flow across the topics well, the writing style can makes it quite hard to understand some topics and many studies are not well described to give you a good overall understanding of the research outcomes - you'll often be told that a study found something but will have no clear understanding why. I've discussed the book with others in my cognition classes and there was a general consensus that while it was bang up to date with the research in the area (an absolute must for a continually moving field), it just left a number of us with a sense of having to rote learn the information for your exams rather than really getting a good sense as to why an outcome was found.

I would strongly advise any undergrad who is looking to specifically learn about memory to read Alan Baddeley's Human Memory: Theory and Practice or Essentials of Human Memory (Cognitive Psychology) before this book because his writing is much more fluid and easier to get to grips with (I read Eysenck and Keane's, then Baddeley's and only after reading the latter could I come back to the former and get a clearer sense of what the book was describing) - unfortuntely Baddeley's is somewhat outdated now and that is the primary reason I would say you would need Eysenck and Keane's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely student's handbook, 28 Feb 2014
Bought for first year Uni course but have used for multiple years. Well written (just enough info., not to bombarded with theories/ sources etc.) Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 10 Feb 2014
I'm studying psychology, and was adviced to buy this book, and I'm very happy that I did. I can only recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine book., 19 Nov 2013
Mrs. Danielle F. Kaye "Dani" (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent: clear, succinct and yet comprehensive. A fine book. I will be buying a paper copy soon because this belongs on my bookshelf, not just on Kindle :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 2 Nov 2013
The book arrived in perfect condition and for my studies covers everything I need to know. I recommend this for any student studying psychology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaching Cognitive psychology got much easier, 12 Oct 2013
If you think that this book is a bit too difficult for teaching Introduction to Cognitive Psychology, you are wrong. Contemporary students expect such knowledge to be taught. If still not convinced, recommend a different, second best book for your students, and use this for lecture preparation. You will be a star!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 30 Aug 2013
I bought this for a gift, but I have a copy for myself and it is a great general reference book for psychology academics. I use it all the time to look for definitions or synthesis of concepts. Some times I use it also to look for bibliography or people that has study certain phenomena or concepts. It is a must have if you are student of psychology or if you are a psychologist with emphasis in cognitive psychology.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 6 Aug 2013
Cognitive psychology has never been an easy subject but this book does a very good job at explaining it. It can also be used in many other psychology subjects to provide a better understanding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good textbook, 28 May 2013
I would recommend this product to any undergraduate psychology student, or anybody interested in cognitive psychology. A useful textbook indeed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa0bc4450)

Cognitive Psychology: A Student's Handbook, 6th Edition
Cognitive Psychology: A Student's Handbook, 6th Edition by Mark T. Keane (Paperback - 21 Jan 2010)
37.64