Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 August 2013
Buying guide books can always be a bit hit or miss, but this was an excellent purchase.

The level of detail the book packs in is unbelievable, and if you are looking for something a bit more than just covering the usual tourist spots - this is ideal. Great historical perspectives are peppered throughout the guide and you do get a good feel for the culture of the Maltese people.
The restaurant recommendations were without exception very good: and even small villages were covered in terms of the history of the churches etc.

Easy to navigate, plenty of maps, and empathetically written. I am now a convert to Bradt guides!
on 10 October 2013
This guide was right up to the minute for my trip in Summer 2013. Lots of historical background, practical information for tourists in respect of accommodation, food, transport, places of interest. Written in a very accessible style, with a very comprehensive index at the back. Consistently good with its maps too. Highly recommended. I wasn't aware of Bradt Guides before this trip, but I will certainly be considering them seriously for future trips.
on 23 February 2014
This guide seems to have everything: cultural, culinary, historical, political, social - and most vitally, sound practical advice. Clearly the writer knows and loves her subject, and provides many useful tips and insights based on close personal experience and understanding. The style is lively and down to earth; the enthusiam obvious but intelligently deployed. There are copious photos and maps, and the format is neat and easy to handle. If you are seeking sun & sand and the bistro scene, then this is fine. But the guide offers so much more - for families, children, individuals, young and old; for history buffs, lovers of art and architecture - and, of course, for those obsessed with megaliths and pre-historic temples! Whether on the hoof or in an arm chair with a glass of wine, this is a guide to be savoured and enjoyed.
on 6 June 2014
I am very familiar with Gozo, and with Malta to a lesser extent. I wanted a book that would give me a little more information over and above restaurants, attractions etc. This is an excellent guide. The section on history is well written, engaging, and accessible for the non-historian. The Gozo section is also particularly good, and quite in-depth (and has given me some ideas for our upcoming trip).

The book does hammer home the anti-hunting message quite strongly (Malta still has Spring and Autumn hunting and trapping seasons for migratory birds). I am not pro-hunting by any measure, but did get a bit fed up of being constantly told to look out for hunters (although I suppose if you are not fully aware and visit during those seasons you could get into a bit of bother).

However, the preoccupation with hunting notwithstanding, this is a very good guide. I have read a few other Malta and Gozo guides and this comes out top in every way.
on 25 January 2015
In spite of the accolades about this book. I didn't feel that it was any better than the other main contenders on the market.
There were several places I wanted to visit which weren't even covered in the book - neither were the buses which travelled to them.
I wanted to walk sections of the Victoria Lines and again this was impossible to attempt given the lack of information in this guide.
Most of all, the author fails to mention Malta's most revered sculptor. There is hardly a place in Malta which doesn't have a statue by Anton Agius - Valletta has three. There were even public protests about the removal of the sculpture in Hastings Gardens - yet the author only mentions an uninteresting monument of Lord Hastings not the impressive Agius sculpture.
If this is the most up-to-date guide when you visit Malta then buy it, but don't expect it to be any better than the rest.
on 31 January 2015
Excellent and extremely detailed guide to all areas of these Med islands. If you want an in-depth review of the history, food, people and sights of Malta and Gozo don't hesitate to purchase this. It was invaluable for planning my holiday last October. I will definately investigate other Bradt Travel Guides for future trips as this book was superior to Rough Guide and Lonely Planet for information however please note they generally specialise in less well known and visited countries.
on 24 April 2014
Gave me enough detail to work my round Malta on my own. Reviews of hotels will help me with my next visit/
on 23 November 2014
This book is incredible! It has everything and more than you could wish for. Don't buy any other book.

I'm working in Malta temporarily and only have wkends to explore. This amazing bible gives you even more insight than the local Heritage Malta official guides. So you can read up and know where you're going, how to get there and all the insights before you even arrive at whichever designation/locality. Factual, informative, and accurate. Highly recommend.
on 15 September 2014
Perfect as a backdrop for exploring the islands, we used this book everyday during a fortnight stay. In depth enough to stimulate interest, but direct enough to have as a quick glance guide, this book was well read and thumbed by the end of our holiday.
on 20 January 2015
The best guide I could find to Malta, by a distance. Written with a clear and deep appreciation of the country, it enriched my brief time there immensely. Lots of detail. This is how guidebooks should be.