5.0 out of 5 stars Great Travel Guide
Published 14 months ago by Muna Zaki

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disapointing
I am very disappointed by this book. I previously purchased the previous edition and I got this one because it claimed to be fully updated. I read it from cover to cover and I couldn't find anything new that was useful. I feel it has only be re-written in some parts.
Published 29 days ago by Fiona P

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Travel Guide, 9 Oct 2013
Muna Zaki (Khartoum, Sudan) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book in so many ways. Firstly, it is beautifully written with the descriptions of places balanced by factual information and practical tips. I liked the short articles within the main text that provide at least a start for those wishing to understand more about Sudan, its history and its culture. There is a short bibliography at the back that usefully includes a short summary of what each recommended publication is about. This guidebook is well designed, easy to follow and lavished with some wonderful coloured photographs.

I feel that the book could included more about Sudanese food and drink. Inevitably the book focuses on the tourist sites which most visitors will want to see and where there are hotels etc. But there could have been more on some of the more remote places such as Northern Kordofan- the camel market at El Obeid is much better than in Omdurman so why not include it? The nearby town of Bara is a wonderful step of the beaten path but it doesn't get a mention.
There are also a few mistakes as you would expect in a book brimming with so many useful facts and pieces of information. For example, the old Episcopal Cathedral was All Saints' Cathedral rather than St Michael's Cathedral and it was William not George Browne who was the first European to visit Darfur. Nevertheless, these are minor and reader does not lose confidence in the book (or the authors). Inevitably a travel book also become out of date the moment it has been printed. So, unfortunately the authors' recommendation to visit the Ethnographic Museum can not be followed as the place has been closed/demolished.

I can't recommend this book enough to those foreigners (and Sudanese who have grown up abroad) who are coming to the Sudan and want to travel independently across this amazing country.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent guide, 30 July 2010
SG "SG" (Manchester,UK) - See all my reviews
I have been to Sudan a couple of times before I found this guide. I wished I found it while i was visiting the country as I found this guide very completed and well reseached. Besides of all the usual stuff of travel guides, this one gives a very good insight of the culture, history and people of the country, plus some arabic to help you out. It's a must have guide if you decide to visit this lovely country

5.0 out of 5 stars Top ofthe lot, 21 Mar 2014
Nils Finn Munch-petersen (Gudhjem, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sudan (Bradt Travel Guides) (Paperback)
Thorough and sound.Bradt Travel Guides have become the top of the lot for travellers who want a bit in-depth whithout carrying full academic library.

4.0 out of 5 stars New and improved 3rd edition, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Sudan (Bradt Travel Guides) (Paperback)
The 3rd edition of this guide came out in Nov 2012 and has been thoroughly updated to reflect the partition of the country in summer 2011 and the ever-changing security situation. The publisher has taken on feedback about the maps, improving the existing ones and adding several new site plans to make sites easier to navigate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disapointing, 22 Nov 2014
Fiona P (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sudan (Bradt Travel Guides) (Paperback)
I go regularly to Sudan and I can guarantee that it isn't worth buying it. Buy the older version and save some money or buy the Trail guide to North&South Sudan, which at least has been written by people that have lived in Sudan for years and not just passed by to update the guidebook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for the busieness! IThe book is very useful. I can't say more!, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Sudan (Bradt Travel Guides) (Paperback)
Thanks for the busieness! IThe book is very useful. I can't say more!Thanks for the busieness! IThe book is very useful. I can't say more!

3.0 out of 5 stars Overly positive, 10 Oct 2011
I was given this guide six months into a visit to Sudan, and have been using it for the best part of a year. Its been invaluable for pointers on things to do. My main problem with the book is that it gives the impression that Sudan would be a good place to visit as a tourist. There are some gems (e.g. the Pyramids and Meroe, the National Museum, and the beautiful landscape) but generally the "places of interest" included would stuggle to make it into the travel guides of most other countries. As a guide for those already in Sudan it is useful. However if you are a tourist thinking of visiting Sudan, for reasons of insecurity, bureaucracy, travel restrictions, and a general lack of interesting things to do, I'd recomend elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre at best., 25 Jan 2011
I have never before used a Bradt guide - and never wish to again!

Some of the basics are OK, but it is extremely sketchy on the sites of interest - little detail and no plans. Poor maps too.

Come on the rest - Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, Footprint... get your fingers out - you have no serious competition!

Sudan (Bradt Travel Guides)
Sudan (Bradt Travel Guides) by Max Lovell-Hoare (Paperback - 26 Nov 2012)