5.0 out of 5 stars Swimming with Dolphins, Tracking Gorillas
Published on 26 Aug. 2012 by Pid Northover

3.0 out of 5 stars Severely lacking useful information...
I bought this book on the basis of the glowing reviews. Now that I have it I'm amazed it doesn't have a single review below 5 stars.

Published 23 months ago by Anna C

5.0 out of 5 stars Swimming with Dolphins, Tracking Gorillas, 26 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Swimming with Dolphins, Tracking Gorillas: How to have the world's best wildlife encounters (Bradt Travel Guides (Wildlife Guides)) (Paperback)
What a find! Full of information, and stunning photographs, on a subject Ian Wood is clearly passionate about. Seeing and appreciating the wildlife of this world in its natural setting. This book has information as to how these wildlife encounters can be within our reach too. His writing is so sensitive and descriptive you really feel that you are there as well. I just loved every page. If you love wildlife, or know someone that does, then get this book, and share something really rather special.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring book, 23 Aug. 2012
I stumbled upon this book on a stall at the Rutland bird fair last weekend and loved the title as I've always wanted to swim with dolphins. Didn't realise until I read it quite how serious the issues are and I'll certainly choose where I do this activity carefully now. But wow this book is about so much more than dolphins. There's enough wildlife encounters to keep me occupied for the rest of my life and some great ideas and places. The photos are awesome, it's packed with images of every animal under the sun and the descriptions of the wildlife are inspiring, already added whale sharks to my list of must do things ! The wildlife calendar at the front is really useful and there's loads of info on where, when and how to see each animal. I really love the quotations at the start of each animal section too. Just brilliant !

5.0 out of 5 stars Swimming with Dolphins. Tracking Gorillas, 29 Aug. 2012
I love this book! It is a fantastic guide as to where and how you can experience the world's wildlife on their terms. It is well written, easy to read and I especially enjoyed the descriptions at the beginning of each chapter, they made the experiences come to life. Ian Wood makes you realise that it is all possible, which makes it all the more exciting. The photography is amazing and I didn't want to put the book down. Whatever your interest in wildlife, even if you are not planning a trip, this really is a fantastic book and would make a great present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with stunning photos and ethical recommendations..., 31 Aug. 2012
I bought this book at the Rutland Bird Fair in August, attracted by the lovely photography and breadth of encounters that the author covers. It is beautifully laid out, and very inspirational, with practical, helpful tips for planning each encounter. It tries to cover ALOT of different wildlife though, so if you are wanting truly in-depth information on a particular species then you won't find it here, but it doesn't ever promise that. The author's love and most of all, respect, for the natural world shines through as well, which for me is what makes this a really wonderful book. The ethical debate rages around whether humans should seek to interact with wild animals at all, but for me this book proves that with care and consideration, we humans can come close and marvel at the wonders of the natural world, without negative impact on the very wildlife we so long to encounter. 5 stars from me, buy it today and enjoy, then start saving because I guarantee you are going to be inspired!

5.0 out of 5 stars If wildlife is your thing, buy this book..., 25 Aug. 2012
The first thing I did when I got this book is look at the pictures, it is packed full of stunningly beautiful photos. Then I started to read... the descriptions of the wildlife encounters just made me wanted to get out there. And there is loads of information on how to do just that. It tells you when, where and how. If you are into wildlife, buy this book. If you know anyone who is in to wildlife, buy it for them, they will love it....

3.0 out of 5 stars Severely lacking useful information..., 9 Jun. 2013

This book seems to be trying to be halfway between an actual travel guide and a coffee table book. Unfortunately it doesn't do either well. I expected better from Bradt, and quite honestly I have proper coffee table travel books with masses more useful information than this contains.

This book is not for anybody with any experience of travelling or with even a small awareness of the wildlife experiences out there. The only entry in here that wasn't predictable was for getting up close with "mini beasts".

So then, I thought to myself, the choices are predictable, but I'm sure it'll be made up for by the information accompanying each entry. I expected a level of writing that would go deep enough to give you a realistic idea of each encounter (not just the kind of spiel you read in a travel brochure*), along with practical information on time of year, the best locations, cost levels, and useful tips.

Each entry does have a list of the recommended countries, and it has links to tour operators. It has absolutely no indications on how expensive each activity is (a massive failing in my opinion) and it has two "tips" for each entry - one do and one don't - usually banal and obvious ones.

I think I will be returning this book. It has nice pictures, but so do lots of books. The quality of the information is simply not good enough.

* I was particularly unimpressed with the text accompanying the entry in gorilla tracking. I actually did this last year, and the text sounds more like how one might imagine this experience to be than the reality. I didn't recognise - and was certainly not inspired by - what was described in this book, which is all the more ridiculous given that Bradt also published the Rwanda travel guide I used, and which actually contains decent and sensible information on this activity. If you think you might want to try gorilla tracking I would buy that book instead - it's inspiring, but rooted in fact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Form and content!, 26 Dec. 2012
Pepper (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I bought this book as a gift for my sister who has had the good fortune to visit a wide variety of remote locations where she has participated in ape, meerkat and lemur conservation projects. She was delighted with this book and loved both the narrative as well as the stunning photographs. My sister is saving up for her next wildlife excursion and expects this book to be "very influential" in helping her arrive at a decision on location and species for her next adventure.

Ian Wood has done a brilliant job in producing this book which rates highly in terms of both form and content. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very special wildlife book, 3 Sept. 2012
Robin Oram - See all my reviews
First I should admit I'm biased. I went on one of Ian Wood's orangutan
fundraising trips to Borneo 2 years ago and I'm a big fan of his
photos. So it goes without saying that the images in this book are
very special and to be honest I didn't expect to read much of the
words ! But open the book at any page and you have another treat in
store as the quality of the writing is exceptional. Inspiring
descriptions of what it's like to see animals in the wild along with
practical advice on the most ethical ways to travel. I've read the
whole book now finishing on Puffins. "Streamlined it isn't - in fact
the puffin's clumsy flapping wings don't seem sufficient for the
bloated undercarriage. Like a bizzare cross a clown and a miniature
cargo plane. But at the last moment it leans back, bright orange legs
splayed out wide, and in it comes, landing almost with a touch of
style. Streaks of silver eels hang from its multi-coloured beak; red
and black eye markings are set against a pure white face. It waddles
across the ground - ignoring me as it passes barely 2 metres away -
until it finds its burrow. Here, it's greeted by its partner and with
a final shuffle, both disappear inside their earthy home." How very
lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Book, 28 Aug. 2012
I have been lucky enough to travel with Ian and I know how passionate he is about wildlife. This is an inspiring book. Great pictures and lots of useful information. You will still have to do some research yourself but this book does a lot of the hard work for you. I particularly like the quotes at the beginning of each encounter and of course the photographs are wonderful. Ian has been honest in inviting others to complete encounters if he has not experienced them himself. This book will cost me a fortune again with yet more ideas of wonderful wildlife experiences to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swimming with Dolphins Tracking Gorillas, 6 Sept. 2012
I so much enjoy this book. The diverse creatures and the environments in which they live make this planet so wonderful. This book is especially refreshing as there is no need to read it cover to cover in one go: it is great to pick it up and read certain sections of it and be enthralled by the information and the photographs.

From the text it is clear to see that Ian is so caring about the many creatures that he is looking at and their environment in which they live - and it is lovely to know this. His writing is clear to the reader, scientic when necessary, and at times very witty and amusing. For those who are keen to visit these wonderful places around the world, there are websites and information at end of each section.

Just to have this book for the fascinating information on the amazing animals that live on our planet and wonderful photographs of many creatures is truly enchanting.