5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous flanders, 7 Aug. 2012
ricky (oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flanders: Northern Belgium: from Brussels and Bruges to breweries, battlefields and bike rides (Bradt Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I've just been to Flanders and took this new book by Emma Thomson with me. To say it proved indispensable would be an understatement. It gives full details of the main cities, towns and villages of the area; the larger places have clear, detailed maps to help you navigate the (often) intriguing streets with their distinctive architecture. All bookshops carry titles on 'Belgium', but this is the first I've seen that's solely dedicated to Flanders, and I think it's a clever move by Bradt to home in before anyone else. Let's face it: any region that includes Gent, Brugge, Mechelen, Leuven and Antwerp deserves special attention. The book also inspired me to try out Kortrijk and Oudenaarde, and the hunches proved spot-on. My only small gripe would be: as it's a Bradt title, it tends to be word-heavy, with just two brief colour sections, and this might put off punters flicking through in a bookshop. But as long as you're after detailed info on (still) one of Europe's most under-rated regions, then this is a real asset that might just kick-start a real interest in somewhere that, on top of its other charms, brews the best beer in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference for Flanders, much much better than the competition!!, 18 Nov. 2012
I live in Bruxelles and I am not a local, and I love to travel around Belgium and to explore Bruxelles. And this is absolutely the best guide I have found about this area of the planet! Very very very informative, it says a lot about history, walks, interesting places, bars, etc. etc. I also have the Lonely Planet of Belgium & Luxembours and there is really no comparison, I highly recommend whoever wants to visit these beautiful lands to get this Bradt travel guide! 5 very deserved stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend it for anyone visiting Brussels and hoping to explore further afield, 9 Mar. 2014
I bought this book recently and I understand why the author was awarded the best travel guide award. I hadn't come across a travel guide dedicated to Flanders and thought it would help me explore some of the different cities in Flanders. I didn't expect to use it much in Brussels but I was pleasantly surprised to find it useful there as well. I followed all the walks in Brussels which helped me see much more than just the main sights and find some hidden gems. The author's enthusiasm for Flanders really comes across and I'll liked that the author made some personal recommendations for restaurants and bars and not the usual tourist traps. Although this book was written in 2012, it hasn't dated quickly - there are occasional restaurants which have changed name but in general, it is still 90% relevant and up to date. I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars For visiting Flanders this is the tops., 21 July 2014
Mr. Jn Pappas - See all my reviews
For trips to Ghent or Bruges this is a fabulous book. But it is even better for people who want to go off the beaten track and explore lesser known towns in Flanders. I was staying in Oudenaarde and each day traveled via train to local towns using this book as my guide. Wonderfully written and detailed this book is the best travel guide available for anyone wishing to travel around Flanders.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the Best Flanders Guide Book Around, 19 Nov. 2013
This is an invaluble little guide book, dont waste money on buying any of the other guide books.
If your planning a visit to Flanders this is the book to have, lots of useful information and maps.

5.0 out of 5 stars flanders book, 8 Oct. 2012
bought this for hubby. great price. great item. would buy from them again. exactly what he was looking for. the perfect informative travel guide for flanders

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a short break, 31 Mar. 2014
Wanted: a brief cross-Channel trip to explore the battlefields of World War I, but where to go? Enter Bradt's 'Flanders' guide, which with some very clear maps, and Emma Thomson's well-crafted text, provided the inspiration for three exceptional days in Poperinge, Ypres and Zonnebeke. Combining history, practical information and plenty of anecdotes, it makes a useful travelling companion as well as an interesting read - though the index could do with expanding. I particularly liked the focus on just a few highly individual places to stay/eat, rather than a blow-by-blow account of all that's on offer. Looking forward to the next trip!

5.0 out of 5 stars would recommend, 14 Oct. 2013
bought this after reading other comments. it is well worded and set out. I would recommend it and it also came in handy for my teenager trying to find out something for GCSE coursework.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flanders, 5 May 2013
B. Thorne (London, England) - See all my reviews
Purchased this for a rail trip to Bruges, and used it in conjunction with a borrowed Bruges-specific guide. It was commendably detailed about Bruges, and very handy when we went to Ostend for the day - hardly the book's fault that the two recommended restaurants we fancied were both closed! As we had time to spare in Brussels on our return journey it also came in very handy. I purchased it because I thought we might venture to Flanders again, and the book certainly encourages that aim.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good purchase, 23 May 2014
The book was as described, excellent condition, it told me all I wanted to know and more, recommend to anybody going to the areas