5.0 out of 5 stars As Essential as Anti-malarials!
Almost essential during any trip to Ghana, this guide really makes it easy to locate the wealth of culture and hospitality in Ghana.

Published on 22 July 2008 by M Rawle

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but many errors!
Being the only travel book available in the UK specifically for Ghana, there's nothing to compare it against! The maps and explanations about towns and tourist attractions are excellent. The cultural obsevations and tips are pretty helpful too especially the health section.

Published on 10 Aug 2006 by Rachel Boyce

5.0 out of 5 stars As Essential as Anti-malarials!, 22 July 2008
M Rawle (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews

Without a guide Ghana can oft times seem at best daunting and at worst dull. This is far from the truth however, the country containing almost all of what Africa has to offer - Rainforests, Christian & Muslim Cultures, Safaris, Beautiful lakes and beaches and even *cough* the corrupting influences of the west are detailed in extraordinary depth within this guide.

As a country not exactly buzzing with tourism not only is the guide essential in uncovering customs and tradition - but also in making sure that three hour ride on a tro-tro (rickety old van) results in a glorious beach or magnificent walk through a rainforest canopy... rather than some floating poo-poo washing up on the shores of a smoggy bustling town (and yes, unfortunately Ghana does have these as much abundance as any other developing country).

As a student volunteer in Ghana I found this book a lifesaver, and I would assume it would be just as suitable for anyone taking on the role of tourist as well (as I travelled extensively as well during my stay).
If you're going to Ghana, purchase this book. If you're thinking of visiting Africa, I wholeheartedly recommend Ghana... so purchase this book!

NOTE: As far as I'm aware however, this is the only Ghanaian travel guide... so it seems a little unsurprising they can laud it as "the best selling"...

5.0 out of 5 stars great guide, 15 Aug 2002
Sarah (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
All of the travelers I met in Ghana had this book. It is the only one out there that I know of and it does the job well. It is full of good information on restaurants and hotels and provides invaluable basic street maps of the cities and towns. If you plan to travel the country and experience anything other than air conditioned hotel lobbies, this will be your best guide. It can also be a heartening source of encouragement to the weary or confused traveler.
I would not go to Ghana without it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but many errors!, 10 Aug 2006
Rachel Boyce (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews

However, a lot of the phone numbers are either out of date or are completely wrong - bit of a problem when trying to book a hotel. Also, the prices have changed dramatically since its publication - roll on the new version!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 18 April 2006
Adam Carr - See all my reviews
Bible for anyone spending time in Ghana, very well written, gives good, accurate, realistic advice. Puts Lonely Planet guides to shame. Spends a bit too long talking about birds, but the rest more than makes up for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for travelling in Ghana!, 17 Oct 2004
This is an excellent guide to Ghana - the information and background to the country is essential reading before you head off, and serves as an superb reminder of the history and customs of Ghana when you are there.
Travelling on a budget at the weekends, I found that the hotel information was accurate and extremely useful (though the laid-back attitude prevalent in Ghana soemtimes renders the information null and void!). We used to plan our trips with the Bradt guide in our laps, and carried it wherever we went.
I was in Ghana at the same time that Phillip Bragg was researching this new edition, and everywhere we went, north, south, east and west, it seems he had been there finding out the latest prices and things to do/see.
Ghana is a wonderful country full of wonderful people, and you must have the Bradt travel guide with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable Book!, 3 Aug 2005
I would just like to advise any person visiting Ghana to take a copy of this superb book. I have recently visited Ghana for the fist time with my Ghanaian father and this book played a big part in helping to make it a very memorable trip! It is very helpful with information on accomdation for all budgets and on the stunning things that Ghana has to offer such as the waterfalls at Wli.
Well done and thank you to Phillip Briggs for producing such a wonderful guide!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent invaluable information, 31 July 2005
By A Customer
I bought this book for my friend's son who was going to Ghana with his Ghanaian father for the first time. They both said that the book was invaluable in terms of the information provided on hotels, restaurants and tourist maps. They particularly enjoyed Chance's Hotel as mentioned in the book. It would appear that you should not travel to Ghana without this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Information lasts longer than the book, 17 Feb 2002
By A Customer
Before I went to volunteer in Ghana I was advised that this was a good book to get. It was a good guide and throughout my stay I made my own amendments. It covered Ghana well but I felt that any place further than Tamale was sidelined. I was living in Bongo and when I read about the resonating rocks I was keen to see them. having been up to the top of Bongo rocks I was disappointed to find that the infamous rock was not there. I even asked around and to my dismay even the locals didn't know where to look. The good thing about the rocks is that they give you a beautiful view of all of the Bongo district and are easy to ascend. The best part was the numbering system that lead you to the top!! The main disappointment for me was the lack of info on the Northerners. The book also began to fall apart before I had even boarded the plane. The pages would unattach themselves from the spine as you turned them. Opening the book by 45 degrees was more than enough to make it fall apart. I am returning there to marry and would have appreciated a little more info on government addresses. But thats just me!! The maps were a little misleading. It would have been good if the time it takes to get there was written somewhere! I would recommend buying it if only for the fact that it is the only travel guide dedicated to Ghana alone! It also isn't as bad as I think it is!

4.0 out of 5 stars funny and informative-perfect for the youth traveler, 14 May 2002
By A Customer
I found the bradt guide to be the best guide on ghana. it was the most accurate, and therefore the most truthful. it was entertaining to read, and had actual insights on what the people, country and customs are like rather than just a dry description. good pictures as well. lists most places worth traveling to, and on a small budjet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life saver of a book!, 2 April 2006
I took this book with me to Ghana when I travelled there to do volunteer work. It proved to be invaluable reading as very often I had no idea where to go or stay, and I met many other travellers who also had 'THE book'. The details about various hotels/guest houses was always very accurate, and we soon learned to work out the room rates were roughly one quarter to one third higher than when the book was published.
The stlye of writing was very easy to read and the no-nonsense reviews of places to visit made it very easy when deciding where we should spend our precious weekends off.
One tip about visa extensions in Kumasi - the book says they are done in a couple of days, they actually take a week! And in the Accra immigration office it is much slower and very often it takes longer than you are originally told.
Also, at the moment there is no British Airways office at Kotoko airport, so if you think you may have problems, get them sorted before heading to the airport!
So if you are thinking about going to Ghana, you must buy this book. It has all the information you will need while in Ghana, and whenever I needed to know something about travelling in Ghana, or just about day to day stuff while I was there, I could find out about it in THE book.

Ghana (Bradt Travel Guides)
Ghana (Bradt Travel Guides) by Philip Briggs (Paperback - 8 July 2010)
15.99