5.0 out of 5 stars Lille - your own personal guide
Published on 18 Jan 2004 by stephenfrench

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing
I’ve always gone for the Time Out guides – which have always been excellent. Sadly I could not find one for Lille, so went for this. It’s slightly disappointing. The map of the city comprises of one overall, and a city centre, where as with Time Out the city is done over several pages and larger scale making it easier to read and more details |(little...
Published 6 months ago by Ed Kente

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Lille - your own personal guide, 18 Jan 2004
The Bradt Mini Guide to Lille provides an ideal introduction to the city for the first-time visitor and continues to introduce the seasoned visitor to new restaurants, places of interest and bars. As a first time visitor myself I found the introduction to northern French cuisine and etiquette (just how many times should you kiss someone on the cheek when you first meet...) to be very useful. During my time in Lille I found the guide to be invaluable, as well as very entertaining, full of amusing anecdotes and personal experiences of the author. With reviews of many museums, restaurants and bars off the beaten tourist track - in the city centre as well as around town in the metropole, I was never short of ideas of places to go or things to do or new tables to dine at. Using the book you really get to feel the enthusiasm of the author for the town, and as I explored more, I came to understand exactly why he feels that way. Lille never fails to come up with new surprises, and the Guide offers plenty for all tastes. The Guide ties in nicely with Lille being European City of Culture 2004 and the book contains detailed information about the numerous events being held around the town. Lille is now less than two hours from London and is well worth a visit - this Guide will really help to get the most from the city.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a gem of a book, 5 Jan 2004
I dithered over paying for a guidebook to a city I know quite well, but a good review in the Observer persuaded me to spend the money when I nipped across to Lille to enjoy the City of Culture and Christmas shopping. Very glad to have made the investment. We dined at a fabulous little restaurant I must have passed by dozens of times before and took the author's advice and ventured a little further out of the town centre than usual to discover some marvellous museums. The food and shopping reviews are spot on, and the delightful anecdotes and gossipy history lessons are great fun. I shall never forget the unusual advice about kissing strangers and the rules about shaking hands in abatoirs and public toilets.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good companion, 13 Feb 2004
I found this guidebook very useful during a recent visit to Lille. The hotel reviews are fair and accurate and the dining out pages helped us to find some excellent restaurants. The Bradt Mini Guide scores over a rival publication that we had used on a previous trip, thanks to superb descriptions, independent advice and general insider's knowledge and enthusiasm. I would not hesitate in recommending this excellent pocket guidebook to anyone visiting Lille. I shall certainly be using Bradt Mini Guides again on my next city break.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 18 Jan 2004
We used this book on a weekend break and found it very helpful. It fits conveniently into a pocket and has lots of information about the sights and how to use your time. It even included information about the current city of culture events. The restaurant reviews were very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 3 May 2004
graeme jessop (London, England) - See all my reviews
Took this guide with me to Lille this weekend. A great time was had by all, thanks to the excellent restaurants and bars suggested by the guide. Spent an hour walking through the principal sights and enjoying the gossipy side notes at the same time. Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 26 July 2004
We took the Bradt Lille Guide with us on a recent weekend break to the city. This useful guidebook was ideal for chosing restaurants and helping us decide what to see. Honest and personal reviews and opinions seem to take precedence over the long lists of dates usually found in city guides. Enough history to put everything in perspective, but this is mainly a guide for today. Very helpful and an entertaining read, with a few unexpected laughs on the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars All guide books should be like this, 28 Mar 2006
We bought this guidebook at Lille on arrival - it was the only one in the shop. But it turned out to be a brilliant choice. We only had a day and a half and we found everything the guide book told us to do to be absolutely right from markets, to restaurants to wonderful areas to walk around in. I just wish we'd had more time to do more of the things it recommended.
It's not often that a guide book has entries that are helpful and honest. Restaurants the author said were cheap and cheerful, were genuinely cheap and cheerful. More upmarket restuarants witha high rating were absolutely worth it. I've used the Budapest Bradt guide too and now am committed to only using Bradt if I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, entertaining and bang up-to-date, 29 April 2004
This month I visited Lille to see the new Rubens exhibition. I found thisguidebook invaluable. Not only was it a good read on the Eurostar, thebook also directed us to the real highlight of the weekend, a visit to theamazing and totally unexpected Piscine museum in nearby Roubaix. Withoutthe Bradt guide, we would have missed out on several of the most memorabletreats that we have enjoyed in months. Three sensational restaurants and adelicious breakfast in an old bakery were almost as good as the art. Thebang up-to-date diary of events at the back of the book allowed us to jointhe locals as they partied late into Saturday night. Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better third time around, 18 Aug 2005
This is the third time I have paid for Laurence Phillips' advice on Lille. Firstly, I read his three city Eurostar guide. Then, I bought the first edition of this guide to Lille on my last visit and loved his choice of restaurants and eccentric hideaways. We even saved money on hotels, getting a free night's accommodation thanks to the book. So I was pleased to discover the new edition for 2005 with considerably expanded restaurant and bar reviews and some interesting new hotels and B&Bs to explore next time we go to Lille. Many of my old favourite annecdotes and asides are still in the book and there are some new quirks and treats to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and fun, 7 Oct 2004
Mandy Walker (Chingford, London) - See all my reviews
Took this book with us to Lille last weekend. Found it trustworthy and reliable. Expecially liked the great restaurant and shopping reviews. The hotel pages were also interesting and I wish I had read it before booking my packaged citybreak because I could have found more charming and better value accommodation using this guidebook. We followed the author's suggested town walk and stopped off at two of the museums he mentioned. We also visited the headquarters of Lille 2004 to see some of the city of culture shows. Very good advice and written in an entertaining relaxed style. I will use this series again on my next holiday.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lille: City Guide (Bradt Travel Guides (City Guides))
Lille: City Guide (Bradt Travel Guides (City Guides)) by Laurence Phillips (Paperback - 15 Nov 2009)
Used & New from: 17.16