5.0 out of 5 stars Fourth Edition
Published on 20 Dec 2002 by Brian Currie

3.0 out of 5 stars Just right amount of detail.
The book provides a really good overview of the sorts of places we wanted to know about in planning our trip to Tanzania. A good buy.
Published on 4 Feb 2012 by M. Shackleford

5.0 out of 5 stars Fourth Edition, 20 Dec 2002
Brian Currie (Salisbury, England) - See all my reviews
I have a project in the south of Tanzania, and spend a substantial amount of time travelling around that country. Phillip Briggs' Bradt Guide to Tanzania really gets to the heart of Tanzania and its people. OK, the facts and figures are accurate and important, but I love to read his little 'asides' which tell so much more. Certain parts of Tanzania are only covered in this guide, which is why I always carry my, what is now very well thumbed, copy with me. I estimate my edition went to Tanzania around 20 times. The fourth edition which I puchased in October 2002, has, by Dec, already made three visits.
Brian Currie

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable guide for everyone travelling to Tanzania, 14 Sep 2000
By A Customer
We travelled to Tanzania this spring for the first time armed with several guidebooks. The Bradt Guide became our bible in that it not only provided us with detailed essential information on each area we visited, but contains a wealth of vital info on health and safety, climate, recommended clothing, food, accommodation (useful thumbnail sketches that enable one to differentiate between those listed) and a very interesting section on natural history and conservation (with illustrations). Overall we had the impression that the author Philip Briggs was exceptionally well qualified to write this book, his nonjudgemental, friendly and open view of the many conflicts facing Tanzania were especially thought provoking. Compared to the many guides that assume limited initiative and minimal commonsense it was a wonderful introduction and boon to our travels. Well done Bradt Publications.

4.0 out of 5 stars Travel guide written in first person - shock!, 23 Nov 2009
This review is from: Tanzania: with Zanzibar, Pemba & Mafia (Bradt Travel Guides) (Paperback)
(Sixth edition reviewed.) Why do guidebook authors tend to be so anonymous, when (in theory) they need to have been on the ground to experience each location, visit each 'sight' and at least skim the hotels? This is the pleasure of the Bradt guide: often written in the first person one gets a real sense that Briggs has been there, done that, and had a good chat in Swahili with the locals on the way (although he admits that he didn't update the lastest edition himself).

Sure, there are times when his opinions may be misguided but that doesn't stop this being a useful and entertaining guide. I probably wouldn't count on it as your only one, having travelled to Tanzania with two guidebooks - Footprint and Bradt, both chosen since they were published in mid-2009 and have reasonable reviews here on Amazon - there's just a sense that things in this guide aren't *quite* as reliable any more. These two are a good complement to each other, and Brigg's passion and knowledge are terrific.

Probably the biggest thing that counts against the Bradt guide is its size, or rather its weight: I'd say it's almost a kilo (but don't have scales to hand to prove that), which is going to make a dent in your hand luggage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, great country, 10 Feb 2010
I've just come back from Tanzania and had a great time. I didn't really need the book much as I was on a tour but it was useful as a reference. Whether you buy this or not you have to go to the country though - it is gorgeous and the people are lovely!

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly opinionated, sometimes inaccurate, 2 Jun 2009
This guide is a fascinating, interesting read and offers a refreshingly opinionated view of what's on offer in the various regions of Tanzania. Briggs is not afraid to stick his neck out, but as a result sometimes gets it wrong. In particular, distances need to be checked with another source if it matters to you before you set out. But if you're truly into the African way of life this may not matter.

As this was my first trip to Africa I appreciated being told what was great and what not so great. It may however be an idea to supplement this guide with a more objective and possibly accurate source such as the Rough Guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful for planning your trip, 24 Feb 2012
We bought this book after receiving several quotations for a safari / Zanzibar beach combo holiday from UK based tour operators. The quotations were way out of our budget and so we decided to go it alone. The book has been really useful in selecting a local tour operator, deciding where to go and where to stay.

Would definitely recommend this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Just right amount of detail., 4 Feb 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tour guide, 27 Oct 2011
I agree with all the reviews on the lodges etc in the guide. The guide answers every question. I just wish the book was lighter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tanzania Tantastic, 14 Nov 2009
D. Huaulme "Bluetoad" (Wigan , UK) - See all my reviews
I need a travel book to get a preview on Tanzania before a Safari. Was please with this one, the description of the different park I went to were accurate and upto date. The chapter on the capital Dar Es Salaam was unfortunatly correct,the traffic is horrendous and they all drive like me....so I was told. Not my 1st Bradt travel guide for africa (Kenya, South africa & Zambia) and were all good.

ARRAY(0xa52d4f60)

Tanzania: with Zanzibar, Pemba & Mafia (Bradt Travel Guides)
Tanzania: with Zanzibar, Pemba & Mafia (Bradt Travel Guides) by Philip Briggs (Paperback - 3 Aug 2009)
Used & New from: 1.22