on 2 April 2010
The book is small, easy to carry round and contains most of the information you would need for a short stay in Bratislava. Restaurants, places of interest and walks are all easy to find and follow. A bigger & more detailed map of the city would have been helpful as I had to supplement the book with a tourist information map.

Overall - excellent hints, an up-to-date and informative book - clearly written by a person who knows and values the country and its custums.

Good value.
on 11 May 2012
An easy to follow guide - full of interesting and useful historical facts with good explanations. Maps very useful, particularly when used alongside local free maps. We followed the walks given in the book - so were able to see main attractions in a relatively short time span. An easy to carry guide book for a long-weekend - with sufficient information for the first time visitor.
on 22 November 2012
good city guide with some decent maps, but not quite upto date; at least two bars listed were not there anymore, which can be a bit frustating if your trying to find them!
on 7 January 2013
Very good informative guide, not to much to spin your mind around but just enough to give you a taster before you leave. Very handed to pop out a bag as its small and company, very helpful indeed! With a small map at the rear. Lots of information packed into a small handy, easy to read and understand guide book. Very pleased!
on 9 July 2013
An excellent guide to a beautiful city. Spent 5 days there, and also used it as a base for travelling to Vienna. Gorgeous city, lovely people.
on 18 February 2013
Very thorough book on an area which has far too little travel guides written for it. Starting to get a little out-dated but still relevant.
on 2 July 2012
From my experience this guide wasn't particularly helpful. It mentions the botantical gardens as a 'must-see', but really, if that's the best Bratislava has to offer, why would you go?
The section on taxis is also not true, they will rip you off, rogue taxi's are everywhere, especially at the train station and airport.
It's better to read an online guide written by locals that is up to date and has more detail (plenty of these online).
This guide does has a lot of content but it's just not comprehensive enough.
on 4 February 2011
Firstly the positives - the book (2009 edition) is well written by someone who clearly loves the city and knows a lot about it. There's comprehensive information on accommodation, eating out, shopping, nightlife etc.

However... I'm the type of tourist who books a cheap hotel and eats at any nearby restaurant when I get hungry, and I don't waste my holidays on shopping. What I want from a guidebook is comprehensive and detailed information on what to see and do, and unfortunately this guidebook doesn't really deliver that. The "Museums and Sightseeing" section is 25 out of 238 pages, with another 6 on "Beyond the City" and a couple of walking tours. For me, that just isn't nearly enough. Fortunately I found a locally published guidebook and I barely used this one.
on 8 November 2012
Fair enough guide. I was going to Bratislava on a city break for 5 nights and usually take a Rough Guide book on my travels, but none available for this particular city so Google came up with this one. Good enough guide. A lot of it given over to accommodation etc, which I didn't need as I'd obviously booked hotels in advance. The History section was interesting but maybe too much. As a "city guide" not great...ok it focussed on the "sights" per se, but only two city walks given. I got a better map of the city provided in the Ibis hotel I stayed at. The logistical "transport section" wasn't great either I have to say. Also I felt there should have been more info on trips out of the city.

Ok, I've just re-read what I've written and feel I should say that I consulted the guidebook each day I was there and every night to kind of plan the next day...so not all bad! What I found most valuable were the tips given about theatre, music etc. I followed the author's lead and booked on the day to see the Slovak National Philharmonic Orchestra in the Reduta that night at an extraordinary price of 10 euro...for a packed house and a wonderful concert! Priceless information!
on 8 June 2015