5.0 out of 5 stars The "little-big" guide about Bratislava
Don't be deceived by the size of this well researched and user friendly guide to Bratislava.
It is a helpful pocket size that is easy to fit into your coat pocket or small bag. This is a boon as I really don't like using the unwieldy large guides that tell everyone, "here's a tourist, here's a tourist."
As well as it being the right size the...
Published on 10 Mar 2006 by S. Tinsley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for a short break
Published 21 months ago by Catherine McCormack

5.0 out of 5 stars The "little-big" guide about Bratislava, 10 Mar 2006
S. Tinsley "shaunyboy8" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
As well as it being the right size the guide is truly jam-packed with little nuggets of information that really helps the traveller enjoy a location to its fullest. I bought the guide a few weeks before I went to Bratislava and found it invaluable in my search for information about pubs, buying tickets, public transport, accommodation and of course the location of Happy Kebab. Yum-yum.
The inclusion of many web addresses for pubs, attractions and hotels is an excellent development which made it easy for me to find out more information on the web.
There is a nice little map of Bratislava on the inside cover. It is handily located for ease of reference so you don't have to be flicking through the pages trying to find it. The guide is not over-endowed with photographs of the city which may disappoint some, but I reckon seeing the sights for yourself is much more fun.
My only gripe was that the small section on customs regulations could have been expanded to give travellers more information about bringing home that bargain booze, cigarettes and perfume.
Overall, I can say this is the best city guide I have ever bought. I used it before and during my recent trip to Bratislava as a tool for planning my activities as well as finding the locations for them.
If you're going to Bratislava I recommend this guide wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Brat! The best Bratislava guide ever, 6 Mar 2006
This guide book is absolutely wonderful!
It is the first guide I found which really does justice to this fabulous city and doesn't stuff in a few lines at the end of a Czech Republic/Praha guide.
It has fascinating details on the complicated history and culture and what looks like an insider's guide to the hip restaurants, cafes and bars.
The eating and drinking section is a pleasure to read as it is really witty and well-written and I would recommend this book to anybody who wants to know the city better.
Many people say that there is not much to do in Bratislava, but obviously they must have had a bad guide book.
It is impossible to be bored in Bratislava with this Bradt guide, there are dozens of suggestions of day trips, where to stay, eat and drink and some excellent walking tours of the city.
After reading this guide from cover to cover, I can't wait to visit Bratislava and try out the revolving TV tower restaurant on Kamzik hill or the UFO cafe in a flying saucer spacecraft. They sound like such fun destinations!
The pocket-sized Bradt guide is also great as it really does fit in your pocket or hand-bag and is easy to carry everywhere I go.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best for Brat, 30 May 2006
John Johnson (UK) - See all my reviews
I couldn't agree more with the previous reviews of this guide.

A bang up-to-date guide. Well written and informative. Obviously written by someone who has lived in Bratislava and has a very intimate knowledge of the city. Everything you need for an enjoyable trip to Bratislava is in here.

I can't recommend either this guide or the city itself highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Usefule guide, 2 April 2010
J. B. Williams (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bratislava (Bradt Travel Guide) (City Guide) (Paperback)
The book is small, easy to carry round and contains most of the information you would need for a short stay in Bratislava. Restaurants, places of interest and walks are all easy to find and follow. A bigger & more detailed map of the city would have been helpful as I had to supplement the book with a tourist information map.

Overall - excellent hints, an up-to-date and informative book - clearly written by a person who knows and values the country and its custums.

Good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, beautiful city, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Bratislava (Bradt Travel Guide) (City Guide) (Paperback)
An excellent guide to a beautiful city. Spent 5 days there, and also used it as a base for travelling to Vienna. Gorgeous city, lovely people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for an under-researched area, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Bratislava (Bradt Travel Guide) (City Guide) (Paperback)
Very thorough book on an area which has far too little travel guides written for it. Starting to get a little out-dated but still relevant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Bratislava (Bradt Travel Guide) (City Guide) (Paperback)
Very good informative guide, not to much to spin your mind around but just enough to give you a taster before you leave. Very handed to pop out a bag as its small and company, very helpful indeed! With a small map at the rear. Lots of information packed into a small handy, easy to read and understand guide book. Very pleased!

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good but not upto date, 22 Nov 2012
Mr. M. R. Williams "Marko" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bratislava (Bradt Travel Guide) (City Guide) (Paperback)
good city guide with some decent maps, but not quite upto date; at least two bars listed were not there anymore, which can be a bit frustating if your trying to find them!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for a short break, 8 Nov 2012
Catherine McCormack (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bratislava (Bradt Travel Guide) (City Guide) (Paperback)
Fair enough guide. I was going to Bratislava on a city break for 5 nights and usually take a Rough Guide book on my travels, but none available for this particular city so Google came up with this one. Good enough guide. A lot of it given over to accommodation etc, which I didn't need as I'd obviously booked hotels in advance. The History section was interesting but maybe too much. As a "city guide" not great...ok it focussed on the "sights" per se, but only two city walks given. I got a better map of the city provided in the Ibis hotel I stayed at. The logistical "transport section" wasn't great either I have to say. Also I felt there should have been more info on trips out of the city.

Ok, I've just re-read what I've written and feel I should say that I consulted the guidebook each day I was there and every night to kind of plan the next day...so not all bad! What I found most valuable were the tips given about theatre, music etc. I followed the author's lead and booked on the day to see the Slovak National Philharmonic Orchestra in the Reduta that night at an extraordinary price of 10 euro...for a packed house and a wonderful concert! Priceless information!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bratislava Cty Guide, Lucy Mallows, 11 May 2012
This review is from: Bratislava (Bradt Travel Guide) (City Guide) (Paperback)
An easy to follow guide - full of interesting and useful historical facts with good explanations. Maps very useful, particularly when used alongside local free maps. We followed the walks given in the book - so were able to see main attractions in a relatively short time span. An easy to carry guide book for a long-weekend - with sufficient information for the first time visitor.

Bratislava (Bradt
Travel Guide) (City Guide)
Bratislava (Bradt by Lucy Mallows (Paperback - 15 Dec 2008)
8.79
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available