on 5 June 2009
In the not too distant past, Sierra Leone was a thriving tourist destination with luxury hotels dotting its miles of pristine beaches. On one side lay the turqouise Atlantic ocean, on the other a stunning backdrop of forest-covered mountains. The country's troubles in the 1990s brought all that to a griding halt. The hotels closed and were claimed by the forest, while the number of tourists could have been counted on the fingers of one hand. And that remains pretty much the same to this day, even though SL's war is now a memory and the country has possibly the lowest crime rate in Africa.

For Sierra Leone's economy this has been a disaster. But for the adventurous traveller it is a rare gift. Sierra Leone is the utimate forgotten gem. It's not just off the beaten track, it's pretty much off the track full stop. And that's where this book becomes indispensable. It allows the independent traveller to make their own trail.

The amount of research that must have gone into producing this guide cannot be underestimated. To visit one district outside Freetown is a (worthwhile) feat. To have visited them all, met their chiefs, and researched their oppounities for adventure (and a decent meal) is true labour of love. I can completely understand why the Director of Tourism sounds so bowled over in his quote above. It must have been hard to imagine that such a guide would or could have been written under these authors did it. Travellers with wanderlust owe them a real debt.
on 18 November 2009
I have to admit that although I am a Sierra Leonean who has travelled widely acrosss Sierra Leone, this guide taught me a few things I did not know about my country! It is well written and tells it like it truly is. The country is as beautiful as the guide says, but the guide is also honest about the challenges a visitor might face.

Definitely the best guide I have come across on Sierra Leone.
on 3 December 2011
I used this guide for my first trip to Sierra Leone and found it to be very useful. We travelled to Freetown, Banana Island, Bo and Tiwai Island and everything in the book was up to date and we used the phone numbers mentioned to arrange boat trips etc.

Sierra Leone is such a beautiful country and this book did it justice. My copy has now fallen apart I read it so much and I will be using it again when I go back next year to get married!
on 3 January 2013
This book was a fantastic resource for me. It highlighted everything I needed to know and more, I felt confident about the content and the locals were very impressed with how much I knew about there country. Would definitely recommend.
on 14 May 2009
Having lived in S.L. for a number of years and traveled across Africa, i can honestly say this is the best travel guide you are going to find. The recomendations for hotels, beaches, culture, nightlife etc are honest and interesting.

the guide is simple to follow, comprehensive and far longer than other travel guides i have read on S.L.
on 2 September 2011
The guide is nice and it covers a huge number of topics and places. the main problem though is that it is quite outdated and in many cases the restaurants and hotels reviewed either do not exist any more or they have nothing to do with the review in the guide. to be fair though, probably businesses in Sierra Leone seem to evolve too quickly, with too many companies going out of business and many others dropping standards everyday.
on 17 May 2009
Bradt guides have generally been fantastic.

This guide is no different as the author covers all the essentials in an easy to follow narrative which will really allow you to see the best of this amazing country.

A tried and tested guide which mare than pays for itself. An absolute must for potential travelers.
on 1 March 2010
This is the only travel guide for Sierra Leone. It is a useful guidebook, which I have used extensively as I have travelled round the country. The background section is also a very interesting account of the history of the country and well worth reading before you go.
on 13 December 2013
I believe there is now a newer version of this published, but I'm sure much of the general content will be the same, this served my purpose to get an insight into travelling to Sierra Leone.
great delivery time, great condition
thanks
on 13 March 2010
having been to Sierra Leone more than once, I felt this book gives an honest assessment of the country.
It is well written, easy to read and a must for anyone wishing to tracel there, whether on business or holiday