4.0 out of 5 stars Currently the best guide to Namibia
Having spent a fair amount of time in Namibia we have collected almost every guide book there is and I have to say this is the one we use most. I like the layout more than the others and it is generally more informative and more up to date. A good all round guide book to this amazing country.
Published on 17 Feb 2008 by C. Sims

2.0 out of 5 stars This 2nd edition already needs an update!
Having bought the Botswana guide I logged on to secure a copy of the new second edition of the Namibia guide, hoping for the same level of high quality up-to-date information. NOT! Sad to say much of the information is dated. I'm composing a summary that I will send to the publisher. A couple of examples to illustrate: Sossusvlei is one of Namibia's most popular...
Published on 4 July 2003 by Paal Skjetne

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Currently the best guide to Namibia, 17 Feb 2008
C. Sims (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars No complains from me: this book was great!, 26 May 2009
This review is from: Namibia (Bradt Travel Guides) (Paperback)
Before heading off to Namibia, my partner and I wanted to get a guidebook that would help us planning a self driving trip across the Country. I remember being in a bookshop in London considering all the options: Lonely Planet, Footprint and Bradt. Before then, I had never heard of Bradt and, being a happy Lonely Planet customer, I was a bit sceptic in trying something different. But the Lonely Planet guide for Namibia was really a bit thin. Hence along with the Lonely Planet guide to Botswana and Namibia, we decided to buy the Bradt guide too. And what a great investment that was! With the exception of the Caprivi and the Kavango, we have travelled across the entire Namibia, and I can honestly say we could never have done it without the Bradt travel guide. This book is well written, easy to use and the information given accurate. The Lonely Planet guide in comparison is rather sparse, with out of date info (many of the phone number provided by Lonely Planet were no longer in use!). I have been thoroughly satisfied with the Bradt guidebook to Namibia and I can highly recommend. I have been a fan of Lonely Planet in the past, but after this experience I will with no doubt look for Bradt guides first in the future: well done Bradt!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Independent travellers, 22 Mar 2005
Great guide. Much more detailed and up to date compared to the Lonely Planet. As usual it's the excellent standard of Bradt, you certainly dont feel you're trailing around the country on the same route as everyone else - lots of great ideas and suggestions. Namibia is one great destination and this book takes you all over with practical advice and clarity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent with some wonderful detail, 2 May 2004
By A Customer
This is what a travel book should be. All the information you need with a dash of personal input descibing the country. It has that extra bit of knowledge letting you know the history and detail of what you're looking at, rather than a dry list of addresses and maps.
There are a few minor errors, as with all guidebooks, and the map for guesthouses in Windhoek is frustratingly hopelessly inaccurate.
Lots and lots of detail and info makes this a must pack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for self-drive touring, 28 Nov 2001
Mrs. K. A. Powell "safetyfox" (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
For two years running, we've used this book on our Land Rover safaris in Namibia. It's been invaluable in helping us plan routes and choose campsites. The level of information is just right for independent self-drive travellers, so this book might not be the best choice for backpackers. Buy this book, get yourself a Landy, and GO!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the best guide I've ever used for any travel to any country, 7 July 2010
This review is from: Namibia (Bradt Travel Guides) (Paperback)
We recently returned from three (glorious) weeks in Namibia, Bradt Guide and Lonely Planet Guide in hand. The brand new Lonely Planet Guide to Botswana and Namibia was pretty useless -- it offered nothing that the 2007 Bradt Guide didn't offer, and, in fact, I suspected in some cases Lonely Planet had merely copied and paraphrased text from the Bradt Guide.

The Bradt Guide, on the other hand, never steered us wrong. It offered step-by-step instructions for navigating the logistics of Namibia's parks and wildlife concessions, had excellent suggestions on hotels and food, offered compelling and accurate descriptions of Namibia's scenic wonders. The book was written by someone who obviously loves Namibia, and his enthusiasm jumped off the page. The author's biases -- on behalf of ecosystem integrity and community benefits from wildlife and tourism -- were informed and never overbearing.

I believe it's the best guide I've ever used, and wherever I go next, I'll look for the Bradt Guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and Constant Companion, 18 July 2012
We bought this guide for planning our two week self drive tour of Namibia, over 4000 Kms from Windhoek, Sossusvlei, Salt road, Skeleton Coast, Etosha, Caprivi Strip, into Bostwana at Chobe National Park. This is now becoming a well worn tourist trail because good places to stay are relatively few. But even so there is a paucity of local tourist information between the 'big' centres. This is where the Bradt Guide came into its own! We used it as a 'constant companion'. It certainly gave us loads of snippets of information as we journeyed along as well as locations of fuel stations and eateries. And also enabled us to make interesting diversions during our trip. It was particularly entertaining to find that some of these were not as we imagined from the descriptions. Roys Camp and Solitaire fall into this category. (Our minds' eyes were different from the Author's!). In our view it was accurate enough for our purposes. We noted a couple of inconsistencies between the text and maps along the Caprivi Strip (notified to Author), but these are just nitpicking details rather than errors which would affect your journey. I suspect a few things have changed since the book was updated. For example, because of severe flooding we were diverted to Onguma Bush Camp. We have to say that the description given is completely out of date. It has been rebuilt, it is three times the size, and the rooms are modern.
We completed our trip by crossing to Botswana. The road to Chobe is now fully paved, but it might be useful to add a cautionary note that Botswana Road Tax needs to paid (in cash only) before entry is permitted.

Final icing on the cake is the section on History, politics and economics. This completes the perpective on one of Africa's new countries. The Guide is a must!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Namibia, Bradt Travel Guide, 27 May 2012
We have just returned from a 2 week, 4000Km self-drive holiday in Namibia and this guide was invaluable. Good on the descriptions of places, accommodation and the all important petrol availablilty. Take the Namibia Bradt Travel guide with you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but has a couple of issues, 2 Feb 2008
Peter Biddlecombe "peterbiddlecombe" (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Namibia (Bradt Travel Guides) (Paperback)
This review is based on a day or two looking at this book before our trip.

Most of this book is excellent. The wildlife side is strong, with a chart of the footprints of about 22 creatures, and a wildlife guide giving you information on about 70, including line drawings for about 40 of these. The general information about the country and what tourists need to know seems well-researxhed, as does the information about districts in the main body of the book, which includes many maps and points like recent street-name changes.

The quibbles:

First, the author clearly cares a lot about the Namibian environment, and there's nothing wrong with that. But sometimes it all gets a bit preachy: on the Rossing uranium mine we get "many will feel only too glad to leave this kind of suspect industrial 'development' behind in Europe". Why Europe should be singled out when there's suspect industrial development on most continents, I'm not quite sure. If you've told us already that it's a large open-cast mine, do we not have the wit to work out whether we want to see it? Likewise some of the suggestions that you should grill your tour operators about how they involve the locals in deciding what happens on your tour. Lovely idea, but how many readers will have been consulted about tourism in their city?

Second, the author runs a tour company called Expert Africa. When discussing tour companies, he declares this interest. But when telling you how their arrangements for car hire are better than anyone else's, Expert Africa are just "a UK-based company", rather than "my UK-based company", and this is followed up with "Their trips are flexible, good value, and well worth considering". I'm a bit disappointed that no editor at Bradt guides picked up on this and amended it appropriately before publication. I don't mind the author saying he thinks his outfit has the best deal - he just has to make clear that it's his outfit when he says so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all round guide to an amazing country, 28 Nov 2011
Bettym (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for our small group trip to Namibia in October/November this year and it proved invaluable - it became a group resource that we all dipped into. It is clearly written and set out, the style is engaging, and by our experience the judgment is sound. Our trip was organised so Bradt gave us the extra information we needed - if I was planning a trip to Namibia I would use it as my Bible!

Betty

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Namibia (Bradt Travel Guides)
Namibia (Bradt Travel Guides) by Chris Mcintyre (Paperback - 24 May 2007)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available