5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUSLY FUNNY, 28 April 2011
THE CRIME WAVE AT BLANDINGS is undoubtedly one of the funniest short stories I have read in my life. The whole atmosphere and the posh upper-class language and the hilarious plot - amazing. I am writing this with tears in my eyes because I have to chuckle and laugh so much.

Here is a typical line which is both funny and poetic:
"She drew the pallid peer aside
and spoke with sharp rebuke."

I do wonder why nobody has thought of making a movie out of this - not that it would be necessary, but still ...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Crime to Miss Out On a Blandings Classic, 16 Jan 2008
This review is from: Lord Emsworth And Others (Everyman Wodehouse) (Hardcover)
`Lord Emsworth and Others' is yet another anthology of P G Wodehouse short stories of which the fist and longest features Lord Emsworth who is not entirely blameless in `The Crime Wave at Blandings'. Wodehouse short stories are generally of a pretty constant length in order to satisfy the requirements of the numerous magazine editors Wodehouse would produce them for. `The Crime Wave at Blandings' is nearly three times this length and the story benefits from it by allowing the plot to twist not unlike a corkscrew and allow a romance to be supported by the cast of Blandings rather than make a feature certain individuals as the short stories did in the previously published `Blandings Castle'. This brings out the best in the Blandings repertory company and is worth the cover charge of the book alone.

No Wodehouse anthology could be considered complete without a shaggy dog, or in this case a shaggy beard, story supplied by Mr Mulliner. The Oldest Member, of course, is also in residence giving us three (I was rather hoping for fore) tales of hearts torn asunder and reunited on the golf links.

Freddie Widgeon steps out of The Drone club to entertain not only us but the Notting Hill Mothers and various Costermongers with mixed results. Three stories about Ukridge, one of which features Battling Billson, brings the collection to a close if not to a head.

The stories are perhaps of inconsistent quality with The Blandings story been head and shoulders above the rest. Although the remainder of the stories are fairly predictable they are pleasant enough and Wodehouse by numbers is still better than inspiration in lesser writers.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Wodehouse - what more do you need to know?, 6 July 2013
J. Gibson (liverpool) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lord Emsworth And Others (Everyman Wodehouse) (Hardcover)
Short stories from the master of comic fiction. I've only given 4 stars because there is only one Lord Emsworth story. Several are about golf, and might make more sense if I played it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lord Emsworth and others, 4 April 2013
I have just recently got back to reading P.G Wodehouse after many years and I'm glad I have. I am beginning to build up a collection and working my way through them. They are a constant source of amusement and always cheers me up. Great fun!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Never mind 'The Others.!', 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: Lord Emsworth And Others (Everyman Wodehouse) (Hardcover)
This is worth the price of admission purely for 'The Crime Wave at Blandings,' one of Wodehouse's best, sunniest and funniest short stories! It's the only Blandings story in the book, and i confess I haven't read the rest yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars We Love Emsworth, 13 Feb 2013
One of my favourite Blandings Books. A collection of short stories including the classics Lord Emsworth and the girl friend and the Crime Spree at Blandings.

Beautiful prose and cleverly plotted farce. Will make you laugh out loud and spill your tea.

Lord Emsworth And Others (Everyman Wodehouse)
Lord Emsworth And Others (Everyman Wodehouse) by P.G. Wodehouse (Hardcover - 14 Mar 2002)