on 23 August 2009
MacLean's book is easy on the eye with excellent photography - award winning I believe!. As well as outlining the history of whisky distilling in Scotland, each distillery in Scotland gets a pithy write up, which details the history of the distillery, its machinery and stills, and its products.

There is enough detail for those that feel the need to know it, but the author's style is amusing, fresh and light, so this does not count as a trainspotter's guide to whisky. Nor does it run off into extravagant paragraphs of purple prose to describe the taste. No Jilly Goulden rubbish here.

It makes an excellent accompaniment to any distillery visit, and also to any tastings you might be doing.

It also has the advantage that you can pick the book up, flick it open at any page, and have a quick browse at a few distilleries; it's not meant to be read cover to cover (after the first time.)

All in all, as a lover of whisky, I love this book!
on 16 April 2010
This is a good book to "dib" in and out of.
It is interesting and informative.
It does not profess to be ,nor is it,a definitive review of all whiskies.
I would like to have seen more pictures of some of the distilleries and bottles but space on productions such as this are limited and it is a fine balance of what goes in and what doesn't.
Well worth buying and a good adjunct to the "weightier" tomes such as The Whisky Bible.
on 17 June 2010
Charles MacLean is a great whisky writer and this adds little interesting facts about the distilleries as well as some anorak technical stuff.
A good reference book and good read on a great subject
on 20 May 2010
I saw this book in Scotland in a specialist whisky shop,they were using it to promote
the whiskies they were selling that was a good recommendation so when I got home I ordered it.
it came within 3days I have found it very interesting
on 12 October 2010
It has been a month since I bought this book and it came handy couple of times already. It gives you a good overview on most of scotch whiskies, that is available for purchase on today's market.I would categorise it to the guidance books.
I expected it a little bit more comprehensive, so that's way I gave it 4 stars.
on 9 January 2012
Well what can I say other than what my partner said on receiving this book for Christmas than WOW, it has all the information and details that he was looking for to detail all the different variety of whiskys, good, wonderful, brillent are a few of his words.
on 15 December 2009
This book is compact, and concise. It is full of good informative detail.
Delivery of the product was of the Usual I have come to expect from Amazon... Speedy & Efficient
on 29 August 2015