Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 April 2008
This book my be quite slim but it does have a lot of content. It is well organised and very easy to use.

Every word/phrase has a phonetic spelling to help but beware as a lot of gaelic words are pronounced quite differently in different gaelic speaking areas.

I think this book would be useful for people who just want an easy way to be able to say a few things in gaelic and also to anyone learning gaelic as it does give a good idea of how words may be pronounced. Also it can sometimes be hard when learning to put together the right words for the sentence you want.

Drawn between giving 4 or 5 stars, I decided on 5 as I would really be surprised if someone comes up with a better phonetic phrase book, and if they tried to explain all the pronounciations in use it would lose its simplicity.

Gle math!
on 17 March 2010
I'm a student of Scottish Gaelic at university level but I've been struggling against the institutional avoidance of common Gaelic everyday idioms. We get a few now and then but there's just not enough. And then I found this book! It's a great way to pick up all the little everyday speech that we native English speakers take for granted but have to relearn in a second language. I love how it's laid out, it's really easy to assimilate, and even the bits of pronounciation are good.

The only thing I'd warn against is that the pronounciations she uses aren't those that we're learning at university but the differences are minor and explainable by citing differences between areas of spoken Gaelic.
on 31 May 2011
Hard to rate. If i could give it two ratings it would get 5 for the phrases part and 1 for theso-called phonetics.
The phrases are excellent, natural and cover lots of topics.
But for me it fails on the "guide" to saying them. If the goal is communication, why put so much effort into the phrase part and then cook up some homemade system for the key bit - how to say them. Its such a mess i can't see this leading to something native speakers would undertsand. So bottom line 3 stars.
on 23 May 2012
One thing Everyday Gaelic does that others could take note of is regionally identify their audio recordings so that you know what you're getting (four voices from Lewis, Harris and Uist). However, you probably won't buy it for that reason so look on it as a useful reference for particular topics such as the weather, talking with young kids or what to write in correspondence.
on 17 February 2012
Simple easy phrases and clear information about grammar and pronunciation. A good basis to start learning from all the basics you need to get by.
on 21 July 2013
I have had a previous version of this excellent book which is full of excellent phrases. I lent my previous copy to my son and know why he has retained it.
on 24 March 2014
Easy to use comes in handy at my Gaelic classes just a pity this copy did not have the DVD that other people have.
on 7 January 2013
Well anyone who is interested in it should. My daughter has visited Scotland a few times and spent several days on Skye and was keen to pick up some of the language. Hope this works!
on 7 February 2012
I found this book a really helpful supplement to Gaelic classes I'm having. I agree that the phonetic pronounciation may not be ideal to rely on alone as accents vary from place to place, however I found it helpful as it reminded me of roughly how the words should sound. There are really helpful sections which collate lots of words/phrases on a topic in one place.
on 20 May 2013
again i bought this for my daughter who thought she would like to learn the language, as she lives on the isle of skye. and it is spoken there