4.0 out of 5 stars Konrad Saga
I had a few black library books from years ago and Konrad book one was among them, I had completely forgotten about them until I was tidying out my room.
I actually thought I read it but as I started reading the first book I realised I hadn't.
Published 15 months ago by August

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid!
Of Warhammer novels, few could be held up as a great example of literature. Fun, but not gonna change the world. Of the Warhammer collection, the Konrad saga stands out, as truly awful.

Published on 22 Sep 2008 by Jolyon M. Bain

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid!, 22 Sep 2008

What makes matters worse, it starts so full of promise. The character has an interesting back story, as does one of the others of the village. The situations can be easily imagined, and nodded along with by someone familiar with the WFRP game. A shame it then goes downhill.

The characters interesting back story hardly gets a nod in the following two books. It can't be said to be fully explored at all. Instead it starts heading into ropey situations. As if the author had a mental breakdown or stroke or something, forgot the story they were going to spend a trilogy exploring, forgot whatever skill they exhibited in book one, and also kinda missed out on evoking any Warhammeryness too.

Awful. The worst of the Warhammer novels. And some of the others ain't great, so that's saying something. Avoid it like the plague.

4.0 out of 5 stars Konrad Saga, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Konrad Saga (Warhammer Novels) (Paperback)
The Book starts out in Konrad's early life and is slightly slow and at times a tiny bit of a bore but not so much that you want to put the book down and never open its pages again. I gets warmer and warmer so much so that I bought the saga book (because it was cheaper then buying the other two books) And I spent about a week every night reading the whole thing and it has to be said Its a good decent read, its hard to put down the book in some places and as you will see in other feedback I disagree that this isn't a really good book, and Im looking forward to reading it again. The ending is rushed and all through the book its a case of "she is or isn't she" but the ending is built up to be amazing then its like a bit of a rushed ending of the writers part, which in turn makes you wonder if there's going to be another book. but I don't think there will be. so I'd give the book on that basis 8 out of 10. The ending lets it down!

4.0 out of 5 stars from someone who finished the book, 14 April 2011
Lawrence Campbell (Godalming, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Ok so its not like your generic run off the mill fantasy book, that for me is what kept me reading, I didnt know where it would end up next. well written you get a feel for the characters. definitely worth a read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Crazy and unsatisfying in conclusion, 9 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Konrad Saga (Warhammer Novels) (Paperback)
Back when this series was released in single books, and following on from such great series as Gotrek and Felix, Gaunt's Ghosts and The Vampire Genevieve books I purchased this series of books hoping for more of the same great stuff. What I got was a strange tale of an orphaned boy who becomes a hero through the intervention of various important mentor figures at various points in his youth to young adulthood. As the previous reviews explain, the story starts very well, and entices the reader to continue, but never really pursues this line. Having read American Psycho I personally don't mind a book which doesn't worry too much about standard procedures of sticking to a linear and clear plot with a few twists, followed by a satisfying ending. But this wasn't trying to be something so quirky, and just seemed to go wherever the hell it wanted to, but without any real purpose or drive. Possibly comparable to the Inquisition War Trilogy by Ian Watson in that it is different in nature to other Black Library books set within the Warhammer or Warhammer 40,000 universes respectively. But where that series was a masterpiece of Picasso-like mind-bending insanity, this is like a paint can on its side; it isn't clever art, it just needs to be sorted out before someone trips over it and realises that it isn't that great after all. Worth a read for dedicated Black Library fans, but otherwise don't worry too much about pursuing this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Konrad saga, 2 Sep 2009
This review is from: The Konrad Saga (Warhammer Novels) (Paperback)
dont get me wrong, its not a bad book but personally for me its not my type of book. Even though its well written and not a bad book, it was a bit slow placed for me and i found i put the book down after about 200pages.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a load of bullocks!, 19 Oct 2007
This review is from: The Konrad Saga (Warhammer Novels) (Paperback)
Reading Warhammer books, you aren't going for the greatest in depth and philosophy, but it's a great pastime, which should revolve around violence, drunken debauchery and loads of sarcasm.

This book has none.

It has a main plot though - Orphan seeking his true heritage - but somehow the writer forgot it. He mentions it a few times during the story, but never really cares for it.

And then..

It ends.

And I hope it'll never be continued.

2.0 out of 5 stars Will it ever end?, 19 July 2007
This review is from: The Konrad Saga (Warhammer Novels) (Paperback)
Okay, firstly, the price was good. And that's about it...

Story revolves around the character of Konrad, an orphan who works in a tavern in a small village in the Empire who tries to discover his origins.

That's how it starts out and that is what much of the first part of the book covers. And this first part of the story, isn't too bad.

Unfortunately, it is the second and third parts of the book are terrible. A major reason for this is that they spent a lot of time going over old ground that was covered in the previous books. Now, reminding readers what happened in previous chapters/books in a series is not a bad thing, but it is bad when nearly every chapter does this over and over again. The problem this leads to is that the second and third books don't build up any momentum and I found I was just skimming over parts of the book to try to get to the end as quickly as possible.

There is no need to constantly remind readers of what happened in previous books to this degree, especially if you are selling them in this trilogy format. I think that it should have been edited to remove these constant recollection/remembrances. I think it shows a lack of confidence in the writer and a lack of quality control on behalf of Black Library.

After the first part of the book, the story ping pongs manically all over the place. It just isn't a pleasant or interesting book to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sudden stop, 19 Feb 2008
This review is from: The Konrad Saga (Warhammer Novels) (Paperback)
I agree with the other reviewer, Kram Kroc, this book starts wel in first part then gets worse and worse till it just finishes in the middle without clearing up a lot of questions, much like the Angelika Fleischer trilogy

The Konrad Saga (Warhammer Novels)
The Konrad Saga (Warhammer Novels) by David Ferring (Paperback - 4 April 2005)
Used & New from: £3.16