5.0 out of 5 stars Terry Brooks is the master of fantasy.
Published 16 months ago by Amazon Customer

Been a Terry Brooks fan since his first outing with 'S word of Shannara', but I had enough now of the same old, same old.
I was enthralled through the 'Word and the void' series, and frankly enraptured to find ' Armagedon's children's following on (frankly Mr Brooks best works I believe).
So sorry, whilst Terry seems to be writing for his publishes pocket book,...
Published 3 months ago by Martin O'Rourke

5.0 out of 5 stars Terry Brooks is the master of fantasy., 9 Nov. 2013
I came to read my first Terry Brooks book, when a friend at work loaned me Magic Kingdom For Sale - Sold. For my then young daughter. My daughter did not bother to read it, so I did. I was hooked I have read every book he has written and am always impatiently waiting for the next volume to appear. Following on from the Shannara books, Terry writes in sets of three, each book as compelling as the one before and always leaving you eager to read next.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dark Legacy of Shannara - Witch Wraith, 20 Aug. 2013
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
*Warning Potential Book 1 & Book 2 Spoilers*
I have read and can fully agree with a lot of the other reviews in that this book did seem a bit rushed and in particular especially at the end where I felt it could have probably done with a few more chapters to tie everything up better but I still absolutely loved this book and the storyline in general. Yes the plot line is still very very similar to previous Shannara books and in particular the High Druid of Shannara trilogy but I did still enjoy it and another main positive was that the books were all only six months apart as opposed to the normal twelve months and so I still felt very connected to the first two books. For me the sign of an excellent book is where you are still sitting up in the early hours of the morning reading it when you were meant to be trying to get an early night and that was exactly how I was with this book so a definite five star marking from me. I've been a long time fan of Terry Brooks ever since my Uncle introduced his books to me in 1987 and the Shannara series and his excellent writing and story lines are what keeps me reading and what makes Terry Brooks my longest standing favourite author. I agree with a lot of the other reviewers in that his books do seem to be shorter than they used to be when compared to the likes of The Sword Of Shannara: Number 1 in series and it would be very nice for him to go back to writing a 'chunkier' read, but as he is releasing this trilogy a lot faster than normal (normally a book a year rather than every six months as with this series) I suppose you have to weigh up having a thicker book against being able to continue with the story line faster. An excellent read and I would definitely recommend it to both established fans and new readers. My review follows:

The story continues with Railing Ohmsford continuing on his quest to Stridegate to see if the Tanequil would release Grianne Ohmsford from it's service in order for her to help rescue his brother Redden from The Forbidding. Railing feels in his gut that this mission should not be going ahead especially after being advised so by The King of The Silver River but not being able to see any other way to rescue Redden he decides he has to press ahead with totally unexpected results at the end. After the shock killing off of Khyber Elessedil in the last book, Redden is now the Straken Lord's only prisoner and has given up any hope of being rescued, however Oriantha is determined to rescue him and is just biding her time to seize the right opportunity but will the opportunity present itself or is Redden destined for another fate? Aphenglow and Cymrian are trying to locate Arling who was captured/given over to the Federation's soldiers at the end of the last book but it would appear that she will already be in the clutches of Edinja Orle before they manage to catch up and god knows what plans that woman has for Arling. But with the future of the Elven people and the people of the four lands hanging in the balance they know that they must free her if she is ever to immerse the Ellcrys seed in the bloodfire and restore the walls of The Forbidding trapping the demon kind who threaten to invade and kill them all. But will they reach her in time and will they all survive?

A truly gripping read from start to finish and yes although a lot of the plot line seems to have been done before I still truly thoroughly enjoyed it despite the end feeling very rushed and incomplete. Thankfully my book did have the normal map of the four lands in it as with every other book except for book two in the series so I can only assume that this was a printing error by the publishers. A good read and looking forward to next years new series The Defenders of Shannara with it's first book in the series The High Druid's Blade: The Defenders of Shannara

2.0 out of 5 stars and frankly enraptured to find ' Armagedon's children's following on (frankly Mr Brooks best works I believe), 15 Nov. 2014
So sorry, whilst Terry seems to be writing for his publishes pocket book, rather than our enjoyment, I for one will not be coming along for the ride.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spoiler alert - Please do not read this review if you haven't already read the book!, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Witch Wraith: Book 3 of The Dark Legacy of Shannara (Paperback)
After having recently finished reading this book my initial response was one of disappointment. The Elfstones have been lost yet again and the Witch Wraith has been banished into the Forbidding despite her all too swift triumph over Tael Riverine. Which means that the events of the Trilogy have essentially been for nothing. Or have they? I can't help but wonder has Terry Brooks deliberately allowed these events to unfold so that something more exciting can transpire in a sequel? The Witch Wraith was once an Ohmsford, which means she should be able to utilise the magic of the Elfstones that are now in the Forbidding with her. Perhaps we will finally learn what their magic is capable of. Then of course there is the possibility of the Wishsong evolving further after the use of the crimson Elfstones by Redden Ohmsford. I also vaguely remember from the High Druid Trilogy that Weka Dart believed that the Jarka Ruus had not been imprisoned by the Elves and that it was infact the other way around. If that were true then it would provide an incredible twist to the origins of the Forbidding. Hopefully some of these issues will be addressed and something truly remarkable and unexpected will occur in any following novels!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shannara - Still entrancing 35+ years on!!!!, 13 Jan. 2014
I have vivid memories of being about 9 years old and Mom having us 3 kids sitting around her on the bed whilst she read "The Sword of Shannara" to us. I was as enthralled and captivated then as I am now. I have read all of Terry Brooks books (except Star Wars - The Phantom Menace) including the "Landover" & "Word & the Void" series and I love them all. I found it a stroke of TOTAL GENIUS when Shannara was linked to "The Word & the Void". It is good fun to go back and read all the Shannara books in Chronological order sometimes, as Terrys' writing often moves about the different eras in Shannara history. I now pre-order the books as soon as they appear on Ammazon.

If you want a world to get lost in for a while I can totally recommend the Shannara books, all of them!! Ingenius twists and turns, wonderful characters you can really relate to and feel for, or dark and mysterious characters like Allanon that you long to learn more about and unravel the mysteries of. Every new book just leaves me hungry & impatient for the next.

4.0 out of 5 stars great series, 11 Oct. 2013
picks up where the last left off so you can get into it from the start worth reading the series

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a let down., 14 Aug. 2013
I have read every one of the Shannara books and loved them all. I was therefore understandably thrilled when the third book of the latest trilogy was released - downloading the lot to read in one sitting. Sadly the book let itself down.

The ending was poor, with far too many loose ends and convenient fixes. The beginning was also poor and far too drawn out, with a focus on word count, rather than quality. The middle was better written, but sadly only to the point of mediocre.

The biggest let down though was the complete absence of plot - new plot, anyway. It seemed more like a mail-merge of the previous books than anything vaguely original. I have read the other books. If I want to read them again, then I can. I do not need to read what seems like a schoolchild's attempt to combine them into a new trilogy.

Disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shannara, 10 Oct. 2013
With many plot lines, I began to feel I was following a
soap opera. And much taking place in two realms, one of
which was quite dark, I wondered if Terry Brooks could pull it off.
He did, but I was quite wrung out at the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing finish for a disappointing trilogy, 31 July 2013
From the time I first started reading fantasy I have been a die hard Terry Brooks fan, especially being a fan of his Shannarah series. I have read them all and rated even the weaker books highly for I simply love the series so much. Therein lies the problem.

I really wanted to give this book a higher star rating, even now I am hovering over the next star wanting to at least give it a four but I simply can't. Even though I read the book in one sitting I have put it down and I am very unsatisfied feeling as though I need at least another hundred pages to properly polish off this series. It seemed that I kept flicking over the pages hoping that the story would some how rise from the ashes like the proverbial phoenix, that Mr Brooks would
somehow spin his usual magic and bring about a brilliant and hugely satisfying ending but alas that was not to be.

The story was filled with characters who continue on personal quests in spite of countless warnings not to, love stories that are so awkward that they belong in a high school soap opera and so many story lines it is impossible to get into any of them. Constantly the user is being pulled away from one story arc to the next and with each one it is hard not to scream at the page as you might at a bad horror movie as the characters constantly stumble into situations they really should have avoided.

One of the most frustrating elements of the book however, is the rehashing of plot lines we have read before. This book... this entire series, was an amalgamation of The Elfstones of Shannara, the First King of Shannara, The High Druid of Shanara and the Voyage of the Jerle Shanara series. There are elements borrowed from all of these previous and great books that are weaved together to create a new novel that really isn't all that new at all.

Obviously there is more to the novel than that but really the ending did seem quite rushed and quite familiar which is sad when I have always been proud to be a fan of Terry Brooks because he is usually good at producing something which is, if not entirely, then at least has an elements that are new and original. He is still the only author I know who has taken his fantasy world through thousands of years and allowed that world to evolve with the passing of centuries which has worked out so well for this series that it is sad to see nothing new come of this.

One thing that has changed with Mr Brooks writing for the better I think was his ruthlessness with his characters. In the style of George R R Martin his characters were put through a great deal in this series and their fates were rarely happy ones and often surprising. Probably about seventy percent of the main characters don't make it through to the final pages, or at least they don't in one piece and that is fine with me. It adds a level of tension to the writing when you can't rely on that happy ending.

This book has by no means put me off Terry Brooks, I am as much a fan of his as I have ever been before. That said I look forward to him getting back on form as I don't think he has been producing his best work since he masterfully joined the Word and the Void Series with the Shannara series in the The Genesis of Shannara, the last book of which came out five years ago.

Fingers crossed now and bring on the next series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant Book, 22 July 2013
Terry Brooks, as usual, has written an absolutely brilliant book, The Witch Wraith,the final book of a trilogy.

This is, in my humble opinion, is one of the best series of books he has ever written, the last being the ultimate.

The reintroduction of the good. bad, good, bad character from past was inspired.

No spoilers here, just read the book and enjoy the magic.

All the best.

Paul

Witch Wraith: Book 3 of The Dark Legacy of Shannara
Witch Wraith: Book 3 of The Dark Legacy of Shannara by Terry Brooks (Paperback - 31 Dec. 2013)