Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 August 2013
I have read every one of the Shannara books and loved them all. I was therefore understandably thrilled when the third book of the latest trilogy was released - downloading the lot to read in one sitting. Sadly the book let itself down.

The ending was poor, with far too many loose ends and convenient fixes. The beginning was also poor and far too drawn out, with a focus on word count, rather than quality. The middle was better written, but sadly only to the point of mediocre.

The biggest let down though was the complete absence of plot - new plot, anyway. It seemed more like a mail-merge of the previous books than anything vaguely original. I have read the other books. If I want to read them again, then I can. I do not need to read what seems like a schoolchild's attempt to combine them into a new trilogy.

Disappointed.
*Warning Potential Book 1 & Book 2 Spoilers*
I have read and can fully agree with a lot of the other reviews in that this book did seem a bit rushed and in particular especially at the end where I felt it could have probably done with a few more chapters to tie everything up better but I still absolutely loved this book and the storyline in general. Yes the plot line is still very very similar to previous Shannara books and in particular the High Druid of Shannara trilogy but I did still enjoy it and another main positive was that the books were all only six months apart as opposed to the normal twelve months and so I still felt very connected to the first two books. For me the sign of an excellent book is where you are still sitting up in the early hours of the morning reading it when you were meant to be trying to get an early night and that was exactly how I was with this book so a definite five star marking from me. I've been a long time fan of Terry Brooks ever since my Uncle introduced his books to me in 1987 and the Shannara series and his excellent writing and story lines are what keeps me reading and what makes Terry Brooks my longest standing favourite author. I agree with a lot of the other reviewers in that his books do seem to be shorter than they used to be when compared to the likes of The Sword Of Shannara: Number 1 in series and it would be very nice for him to go back to writing a 'chunkier' read, but as he is releasing this trilogy a lot faster than normal (normally a book a year rather than every six months as with this series) I suppose you have to weigh up having a thicker book against being able to continue with the story line faster. An excellent read and I would definitely recommend it to both established fans and new readers. My review follows:

The story continues with Railing Ohmsford continuing on his quest to Stridegate to see if the Tanequil would release Grianne Ohmsford from it's service in order for her to help rescue his brother Redden from The Forbidding. Railing feels in his gut that this mission should not be going ahead especially after being advised so by The King of The Silver River but not being able to see any other way to rescue Redden he decides he has to press ahead with totally unexpected results at the end. After the shock killing off of Khyber Elessedil in the last book, Redden is now the Straken Lord's only prisoner and has given up any hope of being rescued, however Oriantha is determined to rescue him and is just biding her time to seize the right opportunity but will the opportunity present itself or is Redden destined for another fate? Aphenglow and Cymrian are trying to locate Arling who was captured/given over to the Federation's soldiers at the end of the last book but it would appear that she will already be in the clutches of Edinja Orle before they manage to catch up and god knows what plans that woman has for Arling. But with the future of the Elven people and the people of the four lands hanging in the balance they know that they must free her if she is ever to immerse the Ellcrys seed in the bloodfire and restore the walls of The Forbidding trapping the demon kind who threaten to invade and kill them all. But will they reach her in time and will they all survive?

A truly gripping read from start to finish and yes although a lot of the plot line seems to have been done before I still truly thoroughly enjoyed it despite the end feeling very rushed and incomplete. Thankfully my book did have the normal map of the four lands in it as with every other book except for book two in the series so I can only assume that this was a printing error by the publishers. A good read and looking forward to next years new series The Defenders of Shannara with it's first book in the series The High Druid's Blade: The Defenders of Shannara
on 9 November 2013
I came to read my first Terry Brooks book, when a friend at work loaned me Magic Kingdom For Sale - Sold. For my then young daughter. My daughter did not bother to read it, so I did. I was hooked I have read every book he has written and am always impatiently waiting for the next volume to appear. Following on from the Shannara books, Terry writes in sets of three, each book as compelling as the one before and always leaving you eager to read next.
on 27 July 2015
This is the first series by Terry Brooks that I've ever read and will certainly not be my last. There were so many things that I loved about this trilogy that I don't even know where to begin.

The story was engaging and enthralling. There wasn't a single moment in this trilogy where I felt the urge to skip past a boring bit or consider taking a break from the book. I just couldn't put it down.

The characters were the highlight of the series, though. They were memorable, likeable and relatable. I found myself genuinely caring about what happened to them. I was very pleasantly surprised when I began reading and found out that the main character was a woman that could defend herself. Used to fantasy books that revolve around men that save the damsels in distress, this made a very nice change. Aphenglow is a strong, talented woman who's brave, proficient in magic and cares deeply about those close to her, while still being a realistic, relatable and three dimensional character.

Another reason that I was so impressed with this book is that it made me cry like a baby. Any author that can make me cry as much as J K Rowling did in The Deathly Hallows must be doing something right. The Dark Legacy of Shannara is an emotional journey, and it's a journey that I look forward to taking again and again as I read Terry Brooks' other series.
on 15 November 2014
Been a Terry Brooks fan since his first outing with 'S word of Shannara', but I had enough now of the same old, same old.
I was enthralled through the 'Word and the void' series, and frankly enraptured to find ' Armagedon's children's following on (frankly Mr Brooks best works I believe).
So sorry, whilst Terry seems to be writing for his publishes pocket book, rather than our enjoyment, I for one will not be coming along for the ride.
on 23 April 2014
After having recently finished reading this book my initial response was one of disappointment. The Elfstones have been lost yet again and the Witch Wraith has been banished into the Forbidding despite her all too swift triumph over Tael Riverine. Which means that the events of the Trilogy have essentially been for nothing. Or have they? I can't help but wonder has Terry Brooks deliberately allowed these events to unfold so that something more exciting can transpire in a sequel? The Witch Wraith was once an Ohmsford, which means she should be able to utilise the magic of the Elfstones that are now in the Forbidding with her. Perhaps we will finally learn what their magic is capable of. Then of course there is the possibility of the Wishsong evolving further after the use of the crimson Elfstones by Redden Ohmsford. I also vaguely remember from the High Druid Trilogy that Weka Dart believed that the Jarka Ruus had not been imprisoned by the Elves and that it was infact the other way around. If that were true then it would provide an incredible twist to the origins of the Forbidding. Hopefully some of these issues will be addressed and something truly remarkable and unexpected will occur in any following novels!
on 22 April 2014
A great lead into the story; just as we’ve come to expect from Terry Brooks. Interesting characters combined with a good story, old history revisited, familiar places and new. Re-entering the Shannara world is like putting on a comfortable sweater and sitting in front of a log fire with a good drink to hand! If that’s what you’ve come to expect, you won’t be disappointed. If you’re new to Shannara novels you’ll enjoy it, but I’d suggest starting with the original ‘Sword of Shannara’ and working your way up!

I enjoy the way Terry composes his novels; and this has been no exception. If you read this, like me it leaves you wanting to get on with the next instalment…

One point (Mr Brooks); it would’ve been good to read the previous trilogy first (High Druid of Shannara); but I couldn’t!!! It’s not available on Kindle, so I had to read the next one instead (what else could I do at 11:00pm?!)
on 25 July 2013
For any Brooks fan the plot and general flow of the book will be very familiar. The story line is similar to the Elf Stones of Shannara trilogy. Having read every thing that Brooks has written, this book along with the first two in this trilogy, has a sense of da ja vu about it.

I don't care. I loved it. I could not put it down. Brooks brings the characters to life and makes you care about them. The way any good author can. I had tears in my eyes at one point. This is one of the best Shannara books since the Sword of Shannara published in 1977.

If you have never read any Terry Brooks books then read this trilogy it does not matter that you have not read the earlier stuff. A lot of the Shannara books were written out of sequence anyway. This is as good a place to start as any.

If you are a Terry Brooks fan then I don't need to tell you to buy it as you already have.
on 10 October 2013
With many plot lines, I began to feel I was following a
soap opera. And much taking place in two realms, one of
which was quite dark, I wondered if Terry Brooks could pull it off.
He did, but I was quite wrung out at the end.
on 4 June 2014
I have been reading Terry Brooks novels for many years, have read them all up to this point, and will continue to do so.

I think some of the criticisms evident in other reviews are probably accurate to a degree, but overall I still get enough enjoyment from reading his books to continue to purchase them.

This story concludes the Dark Legacy Trilogy and was a good ending to the book, I do hope however that we see in future books some return to this time to pursue what happens to the people who were returned to the forbidding.

I felt rather sorry for the Ulk Bog who did all she could to help and still got carted back to that rather unpleasant place, if that happened to me I would be very annoyed.