4.0 out of 5 stars Wards of Faerie: The Dark Legacy of Shannara
Published 21 months ago by S. Wilson

2.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing
I have read almost everything Brooks has written (the Star Wars Phantom Menace book is on the shelf but remains unread) and have enjoyed them for the most part, particularly the early works. Due to personal circumstances I haven't had the time to read for a while and was eager to read this book while on holiday.
What a disappointment. Within a few chapters I was...
Published 9 months ago by Solo Rider

4.0 out of 5 stars Wards of Faerie: The Dark Legacy of Shannara, 3 Oct 2012
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I've been a long time fan of Terry Brooks ever since my Uncle introduced his books to me in 1987 but I think I have to partially agree with a lot of the other reviewers of this book in that it just didn't seem as in depth as his books normally are and I have struggled so far to actually like and sympathize with any of the characters despite Khyber Elessedil making a reappearance but as the Ard Rhys. I can only surmise that Mr Brooks is using this first book in the trilogy as a 'scene setter' and the second in the trilogy - Bloodfire Quest which is due out next March will pick up the pace so to speak. In any matter the second book is already pre-ordered by me and Mr Brooks remains my longest standing favourite author. My review follows:

The book starts in the Elven capital of Arborlon with a druid elf called Aphenglow Elessedil who has been tirelessly searching the elven histories for the last year, searching for any mention of any lost or forgotten magic. Just when Aphenglow was perhaps beginning to lose hope of discovering anything new she stumbles upon a diary written many years ago by a young elven girl. The elven girl is called Aleia Omarosian and in her diary she describes meeting and falling for a Darkling boy who eventually steals the elfstones hidden in her home by her father. The elfstones described can only surely be one thing and that is the long lost and forgotten elfstones from the elven past. The only elfstones left in existence for century's have been the black elfstone and the blue seeking stones with the other's never having been found but could this be the first clue as to where those lost elfstones are? If so then they must be found and Aphenglow is anxious to let the other druids at Paranor know of this and in particular awaken the Ard Rhys (Khyber Elessedil) however Aphenglow appears to not be the only one to know of her discovery as two very rapid attacks are made on her life whilst she is still in Arborlon. Aphenglow does make it safely back to Paranor and the Ard Rhys awakens from the druid sleep and the decision is made to go in search of the elfstones. But can the druid's find and recover the lost elfstones and just who has made the attempts on Aphenglow?

I don't want to give too much of the book away and possibly ruin it for anyone but as with most of the Shannara books there are obviously Ohmsford's involved and of them they are two twin brothers called Redden and Railing whose characters I did like. Where would the Ohmsford's be without a Leah of course and this time the Leah involved is a woman called Mirai whom both brothers like...... Add to the book the shade of Allanon making an appearance and the usual political underhandedness going on but this time from the Southlands, along with a Bloodfire Quest to obviously come up in the next book (ergo the title) this series looks to have the beginning of the usual Terry Brooks magic. I am certainly looking forward to book two in the trilogy and here's hoping that Mr Brooks gets back to his normal in depth writing style. If you like Terry Brooks' books then although not as in depth as I would have liked it to be this is still a cracking read.

2.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Wards of Faerie: Book 1 of The Dark Legacy of Shannara (Paperback)
What a disappointment. Within a few chapters I was reminded that I was less than impressed with his last book too.
The style is plodding, inconsistent, unengaging and rather lazy. I slogged through the book waiting and hoping for it to get better but apart from a couple of brief flashes of the old Brooks it never really did. The plot and "twists" are, for the most part, extremely predictable and those parts that are not come as no real surprise.
The characters are shallow and bland and there are obvious "Red Shirts" (a term used in Star Trek circles to refer to the often anonymous red-shirted security officers that tended to be killed quickly if they ever had the misfortune to be featured in an episode).
I never really felt for any of the characters and indeed started to get angry and frustrated with the main character. She is regularly in danger but keeps assuring herself that her "heightened Druid senses" will protect her. Needless to say she is attacked several times without these senses warning her, and even friends and colleagues appear "suddenly" or "out of nowhere" very close to her. However, never does she question the apparent failures of her "heightened senses" and insists on slipping away from those who want to protect her. In the end I felt that she deserved to get her backside kicked!
Another example of lazy and inconsistent writing is that at one point a character looks at an overcast sky and notes the position of the sun- how exactly?! If the sky is overcast then by definition the sun cannot be seen!
As has been noted by at least one previous reviewer, Brooks seems to be using some sort of generic Shannara story generator into which he inserts various names, races, generic plots and ideas and plot devices from previous books, turns the handle and hey presto, another Shannara book is produced.
I cannot see how the many reviewers who give this book a high rating can possibly do so, unless they are new to the genre or Brooks' books in particular. This novel is a pale imitation of his early work and is the second disappointment in a row from him. I am just about to start the next book in the trilogy and am hoping against hope that it returns to the quality of earlier ones. We shall see.
On a practical note- does any real person (as opposed to a computer spell-checker) actually proof-read books any more? There are a couple of glaring typos in my hardcover copy where the large capital letter at the beginning of a chapter is wrong! In chapter 17 for example, it should be a "K" for the start of Khyber Elessedil but is actually an "A"! Obviously computers cannot pick up mistakes of this kind, so you would think somebody would make a special point of checking these paragraph openings, but no. Lazy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Continueing to please, 3 Feb 2013
Terry Brooks has again brought to life a new adventure that teases at dark things to come.
I will not spoil the plot so will just say that the characters have been introduced and led into peril by the end with what promises to be a darker story than most.
Brooks continueing to weave his magic in the world of Shannara.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic, 17 Jan 2013
Another exciting beginning from Terry Brooks. If you loved his other books, you will love this one too . I am eagerly awaiting the next installment of the journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story once again., 8 Jan 2013
As usual Terry Brooks has yet another book that can't be put down till finished. Can't wait for the next book to find out what happens next. I have the complete collection which I have read more than once. Each one is like revisiting old friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 6 Sep 2012
I have read all Terry's books and mostly enjoyed them. I was really looking forwards to this! I have a signed copy coming and rather than wait for it to arrive - as I usually do - I got it on the kindle. However, I must agree that the characters seem less interesting than from previous books and as one reviewer said, rushed. The Ard Rhys seems cold and I just cannot warm to her or get interested at all. All the characters lack the depth that they have had in previous books. In addition, I felt a lot was quite repetitive from other books too, which made it predictable. I will still buy every book Mr Brooks writes but what this book did do was make me go back (dig up from my great collection of books) Elfstones of Shannara the ultimate Brooks masterpiece and I am re-reading that!
Well worth reading and I hope that we will see Terry Brooks at number one again as he truly is the master of fantasy - full stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shannara Magic, 11 Sep 2012
Fiz "anon." (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I have read all of Terry Brooks Shannara series. I really enjoyed this book, it started a little slow but once I was into it I couldn't put it down. Getting to know the new characters was interesting as well as mentions of plenty of the old characters. Really looking forward to the next two installments.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it !, 26 Jun 2014
Going to be in 7th Heaven for quite a while ! Didn't realise until now that Terry had writtain more was gutted when I thought that was it ! Real Fantasy with good prevailing love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading, 25 Jun 2014
I've always loved science fantasy reading, and this is a trilogy of reading that you would not want to put down. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 20 Jun 2014
I was recently introduced to Terry Brooks books by a friend and now I can't stop reading them, I'm hooked!
Very well written - I didn't want to put it down!.

Wards of Faerie: Book 1 of The Dark Legacy of Shannara
Wards of Faerie: Book 1 of The Dark Legacy of Shannara by Terry Brooks (Paperback - 26 Feb 2013)
7.82