5.0 out of 5 stars Version 1 (of my review)
Published on 7 April 2011 by Marko P. Joensuu

1.0 out of 5 stars written on drugs?
Published on 15 Mar 2011 by Ozwaldo

5.0 out of 5 stars Version 1 (of my review), 7 April 2011
Marko P. Joensuu (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Version 43 (Paperback)
I guess that after 42 versions this review could read a lot better but it doesn't matter much! This isn't only the best sci-fi novel I've read for years but probably the best novel I've read for a long time! Great sci-fi always breaks conventions, and this book probably breaks too many conventions to be an easy read, although the writing is extremely readable. The basic concept behind a cyborg cop that dies again and again but keeps on attacking the dilemma of an unsolved crime until he finds a solution - or not - many versions later is simply brilliant. I kind of understand some of the poor reviews the book got, although I disagree with them completely. If you want to be taken for an easy ride, perhaps this isn't a book for you. If you do not want to know what happens next, then give this book a chance! Never heard of Philip Palmer before - I bought this mainly due to the beautifully designed cover - but now I am a fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars COMPLETELY BRILLIANT!!!!, 10 Dec 2010
This review is from: Version 43 (Paperback)
This was an absolute stunner! A Science fiction novel so imaginative and original it was one of the best I have read in ages! "Version 43" is a Cyborg policeman, he's "43" because the previous 42 versions of him have been killed over the last few centuries. Infact, in the first 100 pages we're already up to "Version 45" as the first two get bumped off really nastily. The Cop is sent to investigate a series of brutal murders on a mob-run planet full of ex-cons who have all done the "Fifty Fifty" which is a space transportation device in which you have a 50% chance of survival, otherwise you end up like generic mush. As the book develops loads of new elements are thrown into the mix, and it just keeps up the brilliance/im,agination until the very last page. There are so many stunning ideas, and it gets better and better as it goes along, changing tack a bit, as the story gradually gets much bigger than the ititial murder investion Version 43 of the Cop starts out on. Stunning read. T R Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Version 43 by Philip Palmer, 21 Jan 2011
Ben Cowell "BEN COWELL aka BC" (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Version 43 (Paperback)
I've been reading SF for over 40 years. Not many books have registered on my Richter scale after so many to this extent and this did. I could wax on about it, all I will say that from the moment I opened the first page I could not put it down, ask my family, as it was over Christmas. The last book that I read that had me so fixated was Perdido Street Station by China Miéville and that blew me away!

1.0 out of 5 stars written on drugs?, 15 Mar 2011
This review is from: Version 43 (Paperback)
This book must have been written a chapter at a time with about 2 weeks between each instalments. New protagonists keep appearing as soon as old one s are killed off and we have billions of spaceships (yes billions) at a time surrounding this one planet . How would they manoeuvre? No explanation is given as to how rats develop control of time (but little else) nor how the anciens warping powers were obtained or work . The book is such a mishmash of ridiculous ideas.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book was so bad, that it actually spoilt my enjoyment of the next book I read too., 14 Feb 2011
M. Underwood - See all my reviews
This review is from: Version 43 (Paperback)
I reads like the author simply made it up as he went along. The key protagonist, the robot, will fight 10 people.. he wins.. but wait, there are 100, no 1000, no 100,000 robot space ninjas round the corner.. with 6 arms.. and lasers for eyes.. and force fields. But he beats those as easily as the 10.. But wait, they were just a dummy attack, the _real_ bad guys were waiting round the next corner. There's 100 million of them..in orbit. with death rays. And so on.

The plot is planned with the same meticulous detail as the fight scenes. There are no clues to the reader about what the next plot twist might be - it just happens. It's annoying. It means that it means _nothing_. The reader can't be involved in the story because the author may just turn everything on it's head in the next chapter.. then back again in the next chapter.

There's no consistency throughout, technology levels leap about to suit whatever the author things will be good next, particularly when he suddenly invented something really tricky that needs killing next.

The author invents weird 'sci-fi' animals. Why have a horse when you can have a 6 legged.. no 19 legged space horse! with 8 heads! No reason why. Just seemed cool at the time I guess. No idea how a 19 legged 8 headed horse would actually function.. but so what. Next scene.

Simply awful. I don't understand why this was published. Is the sci-fi scene so desperate for titles that publishers will take tosh like this?

Version 43
Version 43 by Philip Palmer (Paperback - 7 Oct 2010)