5.0 out of 5 stars not your average zombie book
got talked into reading this, and was reluctant as i did not think i would like a mindless zombie book, but from the first page I could see that it was not what I imagined. witty, funny, intense and a solid story from page one and throughout, once you read this book you will be desparate to read the other two in the series
Published 10 months ago by Damon

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so thrilling zombie novel
***MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS***

After watching The Walking Dead I felt I needed a zombie novel to bridge the gap. Feed seemed to get some good reviews and so I thought I'd give it a whirl. The plot centers around a couple of journalists / bloggers following a political campaign for president of The United States. This is all set in 'post outbreak' America which...
Published 21 months ago by MrShev

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Scooby Doo meets the occasional Zombie, 8 Mar 2011
Zola fan "Nana" (Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) (Paperback)
I was so looking forward to reading this book based on some of the better reviews but I should have paid heed to the worst ones. I am fairly new to the zombie genre of books and although I knew it was not going to be a zombie-fest, what remained was pure repetitious drivel. Like a previous reviewer I was also thoroughly fed-up with the constant references to the main character's eye condition and found that the triumverate of bloggers were so stereotypical of a kid's cartoon show I really think that this was written with a TV serial in mind - Scooby Doo meets Bart Simpson comes to mind. The adopted brother and sister bloggers are in their late 20s and it's 26 years after the first appearance of zombies yet the brother jumps fences and gets his kicks from baiting and poking zombies with a stick! I thought I'd stumbled on a book meant for teenagers after reading the opening chapter. For the first time in years I found myself flicking whole swathes of pages trying to escape ad nauseum descriptions of the retina sensitivity of that flat, one-dimensional character of the sister.

Half-way through this book I felt a zombie-like rage come over me and finally gave up at page 250. Even the rare bits of zombie action in this book was mild! I didn't find that this book portrayed one bit of 'intelligent writing' ; long-drawn-out details of the bloggers technical equipment did not make interesting reading for me. I can only remember one other book where I could find nothing good to say about it but hey, compared to this load of twaddle, it's looking more like War and Peace. One last word, this reviewer will be first to say, 'I knew it!' if this turns out to be a TV serial like the current fashion for vampire programmes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior Zombie Thriller, 25 Aug 2010
XTR (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feed (Kindle Edition)
A good zombie story, first and foremost must be a good story and not just rely on zombie gore and thrills - this book delivers.

We get believable characters and a well thought out world where zombies (a la Romero) have risen, but humanity has managed to contain the zombies without being able to wipe them out. Deliberately infecting someone with the zombie virus has become a form of murder - albeit highly risky for the murderer.

The author works through and shows us the implications of a world with zombies - constant blood tests, people reluctant to mingle in public etc. She uses this to build a realistic political thriller with zombies naturally at its core.

I especially like the way she has delivered a realistic scenario for Romero zombies - if you're bitten, you rapidly die and come back, but if you die of natural causes, then you come back as a zombie too. This is plausibly explained without going over the top on pseudo-scientific details.

My only minor criticism - and it doesn't spoil the book - is that sometimes we get too much information about the workings of the news website run by the main characters, where I felt less would be more. But overall an excellent first book and well worth reading if you enjoy a good thriller and essential reading if you enjoy zombie books where (let's face it) there is plenty of dross out there !

Film rights, anyone ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Aug 2010
This review is from: Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) (Paperback)
One of the best books I've read in a long time. This is more a book about people and politics that happens to feature occasional hordes of ravening zombies. Can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feed but not as you know it....., 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) (Paperback)
I'm going through a zombie stage at the moment. And I can safely this is the first really well written book I've read in that genre. The plot is fascinating and the zombies are just the background story not the main plot. The characters are well developed, indeed I actually cared if they lived or got bitten and died(ish)!

Loved it!

I'll definitely be reading more of this authors work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: Feed (Kindle Edition)
I don't normally read Zombie books but the reviews looked good on this one. I was pleasantly surprised and it has been a long time since I have bought a book that I could not put down. The characters and setting where both excellent. I would highly recommend reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out zombie thriller, 26 Dec 2010
simon211175 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Feed (Kindle Edition)
This - being the first zombie book I've ever read - jumped out at me while innocently browsing Amazon's site. I bought it after reading the first chapter extract, thinking it was different and well written.

The book is set in a post-outbreak, zombie filled world that has adapted to allow the human race to survive with the ever present threat of zombies. Written from the viewpoint of a group of bloggers: split into different groups - we have the Newsies, for pure hardcore news fact reporting; the Irwins, for adrenaline seeking reporters who need to be in the heart of the action (homage to the late Steve Irwin (Steve Irwin's Most Dangerous Adventures [DVD]) a nice touch); and the Fictionals, a group of reporters who take the news and set it to a fictional backdrop.

I really enjoyed this book, read it quickly and felt like I needed more when I'd finished it. Looking forward to the next instalment Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy) when it comes out next year.

4.0 out of 5 stars yeah,eat me, 14 Nov 2010
This review is from: Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) (Paperback)
You could never call it unputdownable, because I put it down twice, whilist I read other novels.
Even so I still managed to read in within a 7 day period, so not bad.
At least the writer attempted a new take on a zombie ate my brain tale.
I have no problem with the change of narrator, but I honestly cannot see where they can go in books 2 and 3. I have an open mind and I like to see things reach a logical conclusion. So yes I will be back for book 2 certainly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic Zombie/Conspiracy novel, 18 Sep 2010
This review is from: Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) (Paperback)
FEED by Mira Grant is absolutly the most original and freshest zombie novel i have ever read, unlike most other stories the end of the world came and went in the space of a single summer. Life has gone on but with major concessions to the new reality of living in a world were anybody or any animal over 40lbs can turn.
Yes 2042 is an interesting time to live.The author has created a world were zombies are just another of lifes problems,Mira Grant has woven a highly believable tale with lots of funny and well thought out touches eg G Romero is a national hero as his films are seen as survival guides.
Her knowledge of virus's make it all the more believable, there is just so much right with this book i can't wait for the sequel to come out, i just hope it is as strong a story as this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zombies ate my grandmother., 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) (Paperback)
A brilliant book. Well-written, compelling story, zombies. Seriously that's all you need to know, go and buy it; stuff happens in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 20 Aug 2012
Aj Bradley (birmingham, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feed (Kindle Edition)
What can I say about a book about politics, zombies and a dreadful looking future... Well, it was absolutely amazing. I could not believe how well it was written, description, facial and body movements and general zombieness that worked brilliantly.

Technology played a key part that was well developed and very believable. In fact, if a zombie outbreak did occur I wouldn't be surprised if we used this as the new survival guide. (Inside Joke)

And to finish off. How many books have made you cry at the end... I can count them on one hand. This one is among them. Can't wait to read the rest of the series and anybody who enjoys zombies, even a tiny bit should so read this and anybody else who simply enjoys a good mystery.

Utterly delicious.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1)
Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant (Paperback - 3 Jun 2010)
Used & New from: 0.01