5.0 out of 5 stars A triumphant finale to the series, despite a few missteps
The Wheel of Time is finished. That's a statement that's going to take a while to get used to. The first volume of the series, The Eye of the World, was published in January 1990. George Bush Snr. and Margaret Thatcher were still in power and the Cold War was still ongoing. Fourteen books, four million words, eleven thousand pages and over fifty million sales (in North...
Published 18 months ago by A. Whitehead

1.0 out of 5 stars Where Was The Sanderson Who Wrote The Stormlight Archives??? Bah! Meh!,
I am still reeling from disappointment. I thought Brandon Sanderson did a great job on "The Gathering Storm" and "Towers of Midnight" but "A Memory of Light" has left me so disappointed, I don't know how to get it out of my head except to write this dumbo review. Basically, the story didn't have cohesion - there was way too much superfluous stuff...
Published 9 days ago by Judge Tabor

‹ Previous | 1 2 348 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great End to A Monumental Journey, 21 Sep 2013
Like many Robert Jordan fans, I was sceptical when Brandon Sanderson took over the helm of finishing off the remaining books of the Wheel of Time after Mr Jordan's untimely death. However, I needn't have worried and I am so grateful that he managed to so with such accomplishment.

There's not subtleties in this last book, just battles - death, bloodshed, more death etc. but what do you expect at the Last Battle? I particularly liked the fact that characters we had grown to love (or loathe) over the years finally had their part to play in the final denouement.

A criticism of Sanderson's approach was the fact that he spread the last "book" over three books rather than just the one volume. However, with such an abundance of material and so many resolutions needed to be made, I can now see why this was necessary. In fact, the only problem I have in this last book is that everything seemed a bit rushed towards the end. When you have spent over 20 years getting to know characters and then their fate is mentioned so briefly, this was a little bit disappointing. Also, I would have liked another chapter at the very end to round everything off - that is why I have only given it 4 stars.

Overall, though, no complaints from me. Thank you Mr Jordan for the best fantasy franchise since Tolkien, and hats off to you Mr Sanderson for a creditable "taking up of the helm" for the last leg of the journey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good ending to the series, 26 Aug 2013
This review is from: A Memory Of Light: Book 14 of the Wheel of Time: 14/14 (Hardcover)
What is there to say. It wraps up a lot of threads, it misses a few, there are a few story lines that don't get fully explored, but the writing is better than Sandersons own work, and better than the middle books by Jordan.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, well done jordon and sanderson, 8 Jan 2013
great book loved it, dont pay attension to those fools who give one star because of no ebook. You should know that they do that to prevent people from torrenting ebooks on release day and hurting those who spent thier lifetimes writing brilliant books for us to read. 'punishing publishers' by giving 1 star is childish and is an insult o the legacy of the wheel of time. once again great conclusion to a truly epic series

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic end to a fantastic series, 10 Jan 2013
Bagsy (Northamptonshire England) - See all my reviews
This book is an action packed and fitting end to a series that I have read since it was first published. Admittedly the series started to drag in the middle but it picked up again and this is great finale. It is non stop action from beginning to end. There are parts that I would have liked resolved better (the seanchan and their damane for instance) but overall the ending is satisfying. If you have not read this epic series then buy The Eye of the World and start reading it. This is a masterpiece of modern fantasy which is the best or at the very least comfortably compares with the best in the genre. All I can say is thank you Robert Jordan for the series and may you rest in peace and thank you Brandon Sanderson for finishing it so ably.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy ending, 13 Jan 2013
M. Cron (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is for both this book and for this series.

I can think of no other book or series of books that has left such an impression on me as the WOT series, from the moment I read EOTW about 15 years ago, I have been hooked, and despite some floundering in the middle of the series, as a body of work and imagination I believe it is without equal in the world of fantasy. It borrows themes and mythology from other series, other cultures and from our own history and melds them all into a world that I truly felt I could visualise and understand.

This final novel is pretty much everything it needed to be; a gigantic battle and a bringing together of all the myriad plots that have been building up over the last 13 books. Some of the endings feel a bit sudden given the time devoted to developing them throughout the series, but that is to be expected in a final novel. I was constantly surprised and saddened by the deaths in this book, particularly of primary characters that I would never have guessed wouldn't have made it to the end. However I felt that it was done well, and each of them made a lasting impression on me; some of the most heart wrenching deaths were of relatively small characters that we have known since the start.

Personally I would have liked a bit more time devoted to the epilogue, It's obvious that RJ wanted us to fill in the ending with our own imaginations, but it would have been nice to have been rewarded with some scenes from the amazing Fourth Age that comes about.

As mentioned in some of the other reviews, there is the odd moment where BS inserts a modern day phrase or word that jars with the rest of the book, but it is very easy to forgive this when you consider the herculean task the poor man had to take on. I think that he has done a superb job of bringing the series to a close and to all those who criticise I would ask you to consider how you would have felt had no-one wished to brave the storm and write an ending, and the story had forever been left unfinished...

A triumphant conclusion and a truly remarkable series.

Thank you Mr Jordan and thank you Mr Sanderson, the WOT has been a huge presence in my life, and I can barely express the sense of wonder and profound enjoyment that I have experienced through reading your story. I think that the tone of the reviews (ignoring the 1-star idiots with e-book rage) are testament to the affection with which both authors are held in the hearts of their fans.

Goodbye Rand, I'll miss you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting end, 12 Jan 2013
A fitting end to a great series. For me it has just the right mix of answers, epic battles, unexpected twists and a few lingering mysteries, just enough to make you think about them after the dust has settled.

Ultimately it feels right. It feels like the sort of book I expected the Wheel of Time to end on. I think if Robert Jordan had lived to write the final books (or book, depending on how he would have split the books between 12 and 14) then it would have turned out much this has. The essence of it would have been much the same, and I think Brandon Sanderson has done a great job in that regard, and I would like to thank both Brandon and Harriet (Robert Jordan's wife and editor) for finishing the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome - Truly, 11 Jan 2013
I just finished the WHEEL OF TIME! Epic is not the word.
WOW.
I feel drained both mentally and emotionally, as though I fought The Last Battle alongside. And in a way, I did.
Thank you, Jordan. You are a large part of the reason I want to write. Without you I believe the world would be a smaller place. Thank you Sanderson for the love and dedication you put into finishing Jordan's work, ensuring this huge ending to the story I love felt satisfying in its conclusion. It has left me feeling the world lives. The Wheel turns.
I am in awe of both of you and everyone who's had a hand in this.
Sincerely,
John.

5.0 out of 5 stars A epic finish to an epic series, 11 Jan 2013
All those books of world and character building pay off in an intense action paced monster of a book. Jordan's creation of an in-depth world really pays off when you have battlefields this large.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best for last!, 11 Jan 2013
In 'A Memory Of Light', Brandon Sanderson brings the legacy of Robert Jordan's epic tale to it's powerful and satisfying conclusion. The future of the world balances upon the edge of a blade as vivid and terrifying battles rage across a landscape painted in the imagination with astounding clarity. As the forces of the light struggle for survival the story line draws the reader ever deeper into the tale as the threads converge on the conclusion of the series. A brilliant book with great pace and depth, well worth the wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant End, 9 Jan 2013
Joe (Winchester) - See all my reviews
A great end to one the greatest stories ever written in my opinion. I cried when i finished the book because although i was pleased that i finally got to read the end, it was as if i was loosing a dear friend. That friend died well. I pay my respects to RJ and thank BS for finishing the story and not leaving us fans hanging. You both did brilliant jobs and i will forever remain thankful.

‹ Previous | 1 2 348 | Next ›

A Memory Of Light: Book 14 of the Wheel of Time: 14/14
A Memory Of Light: Book 14 of the Wheel of Time: 14/14 by Brandon Sanderson (Hardcover - 8 Jan 2013)
17.00