on 17 January 2013
Finally there is an injection of pace into the saga again. Despite the brilliance of the first half a dozen books the latter half of the series has felt like it has been treading water for a long time. With the penultimate book the story seems to come together just in time for the finale. Whether this is anything to do with Brandon Saunderson or whether Robert Jordan already had things laid out to go this way doesn't really matter. What is relevant is that between them, and Jordan's widow, it seems like the saga is back on track to deliver a great conclusion.

It is obviously tricky to say much about this book without giving away spoilers. But it seems safe to say that it concentrates more around the activities of Perrin and Mat and those that surround them. Rand continues his strategies but his appearances are brief and clearly not yet the focus. Elayne, Egwene and Nynaeve get a fair share of the book and some Aes Sedai issues become resolved. Gawain and Galad are also featured heavily, more than they ever have been before. There is also some focus on Aviendha but I was left feeling uncertain about what was going on in her sections. There doesn't seem to be much of a need for them and I wonder if in some way they are to do with Jordan's proposed trilogy focussing on the Seanchan; which will now never be written.

Disappointingly there isn't much action from the Forsaken. Out of the few that remain some of them have still hardly been featured. Moridin still does very little, his appearances brief. But he and some of the other leading villains loom in the background hopefully ready to take on a more major role.

There is still an awful lot of seemingly unnecessary arguing between the various heroes of the saga and the undercurrent of latent sexism continues. I'm finding it a little annoying and textually repetitive that all the male characters think all women behave in a certain way and vice versa. It is particularly annoying with the Aes Sedai at times. After all the events across the series of books I would have expected at least some of the characters to have grown out of this. Surely all their horizons have been broadened by their experiences.

The above aside, this is a very enjoyable read and it is probably a better book than the previous five or six in the series. It's a promising sign that the final book might equal the greatness of the first few.
on 9 January 2013
Now, there are a few problems with this book and I wasn't sure whether I should detract a star because of it, but by the end I thought it should deserve the full five.

This book concentrates more on Perrin, Mat and Elayne than the previous book did and for the most part all their stories are brilliant. It takes time to get there, but the destination is worth the wait.

It is widely known that these last three books were originally meant to be one. In the Gathering Storm, it wasn't obvious and Sanderson had done a good job of choosing certain story lines to elevate over others. Perrin's wasn't one of them, so his story has been placed in this book. However, because of this we now have quite a huge continuity error. The first half of Perrin's story takes place during the events of the previous book and as such, certain things that you believe have already happened...haven't. It's like a huge flashback, which i wouldn't mind, but it's not styled like one. Again, I wouldn't mind if there were no crossovers, but the character of Tam al'Thor appears in both Perrin's story and Rand's story which is a continuation of the previous book. So you're reading along one minute about how he's gone back to the Two Rivers, and the next minute find him speaking to Perrin! In Ghealdan! While I would think anybody would be stupid to pick this book up first as it is clearly marked as book thirteen, I would think a new reader would get confused over this (though, to be honest, it's probably their fault anyway. I mean who reads book thirteen before even book one!). It could even get confusing if you hadn't read the Gathering Storm in a while. Fortunately these matters are put into perspective when we find out that Perrin witnessed Rand's activities on Dragonmount.

These niggles aside, Perrin's story is by far the best it's been since Shadow Rising, perhaps ever. He has to confront much of his past with the Whitecloaks, Slayer, the Wolves, all the while preparing his armies for the Last Battle and finally accepting the role of Lord.

The weak point of the novel. After gaining the Lion Throne, Elayne now has her sights set on Cairhien. So we have to go though yet another fight for the crown. Fortunately, this portion of the story is relatively short.

Aside from the ending, this is the best part of the book. Mat, Thom, and Noal set off for the Tower of Ghenjei. Once there the climax with the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn is exciting and quite creepily terrifying. The creatures were creepy in Shadow Rising, but here we see them really come to life.

The overall climax to the book is something that we've been waiting for since the Eye of the World. Throughout the book, we've got huge exciting battles with shadowspawn, but they're mere skirmishes compared to witnessing the start of the actual Tarmon Gaidon. However, that's not what I like about the ending, it's the less action oriented things. The fact that we get to see the armies of at least eight nations rallying together. A short and terrifying dream sequence that shows just how evil the Dark One can be. But my favourite has to be the end quote. It all leads to a feeling of dread and despair, leaving you truly scared for the Last Battle. This is a point few writers can accomplish. Most will have this kind of scene with a feeling of hope, epic potential, or just plain action, but not one of impending doom. This book scared me. But not because of the monsters, or the concept, or even the Dark One himself. I was scared for the characters. I was scared for Rand, Mat, Perrin, Faile, Elayne, Min, Aviendha, Egwene, Lan, Nyneave, Thom, Everyone. I have read this series on and off for the past ten years and I have grown to know and love these characters. The moment they have dreaded throughout thirteen books has finally come. And I am terrified they're not going to make it.

That is writing you don't read every day.

This is a truly epic book. In every sense of the word and I am looking forward to starting Memory of Light tomorrow. I'll probably end up in Waterstones and begin reading it knowing that it has already been delivered to my house while I was at work. Damn you Amazon! Get this stuff to me quickly! I'm sure you can get someone to open a Gateway instead of bothering with those pesky slow lorries!
on 20 September 2012
I was sceptical about Robert Jordan's books being finished off by someone else, but after the decent "Gathering Storm" Brandon Sanderson has really hit his stride here.

I will try and avoid giving spoilers, but a lot of the more tediously dragged out plot aspects are resolved here in a very satisfying manner. Galad and Gawyn both finally get roles beyond a few pages in the prologue and move beyond the two dimensional background characters they'd been relegated to.

The story does an excellent job of setting the scene for the last battle, and Sanderson manages to start pulling together the multiple strands of the story and aims them firmly towards the conclusion.

My only minor criticisms are that Tuon barely gets a look-in, featuring in all of about 5 pages and Mat's story is a little dragged out and then rushed at the end. He spends an inordinate amount of time sitting around in Caemlyn doing nothing when all you want him to do is get off to the Tower of Ghenjei.

All in all though, this is a gripping and satisfying read. Writing in September 2012, January for book 14 seems a very long time away - almost as long and painful as Crossroads of Twilight!
on 10 October 2012
The opening of every other Wheel of Time volume has drawn me into the story; this one did not. This time, the author going through the current situation of the main characters was dreary, and I was past the 10% mark before the book developed any interest for me. I'll probably buy the final volume, because I've too much of my own time and money invested in this series, but if this had been the first book, I wouldn't have bought the second. The use of language is not the same as the previous volumes, for example, 'breastplates' are frequently mentioned, as if they were worn without backplates, and I was actually surprised the only time that the word 'cuirasses' appeared: I didn't think the author knew it. Brandon Sanderson is, regrettably, no Robert Jordan.
on 28 November 2010
Well I've been hooked on this series and stuck with it when Jordan was deviating massively from book 7 onwards.

There is probably more Sanderson in this than Jordan in this book compared to TGS. And in the early chapters it shows quite badly.

Still, I'm probably biased so I've given it 4 stars.

Potential spoilers so look away now:

Rand finds inner peace and commands everyone to ready their armies to go to Shayol Ghul, they start lining up in the last chapter
Egwene goes head to head with Mesana, and deals with Gawyn and the Hall
Elayne is still annoying
Nynaeve takes the test of a hundred weaves
Perrin battles slayer in the wolf dream, and faces the whitecloaks
Mat and Thom go to the Towers of Ghenjei
on 10 April 2011
I read this book in 15 hrs straight the last time I managed such a feat was when I was reading "Deadhouse Gates" by Steven Erikson, I have to be honest and say that I have not really enjoyed a Robert Jordan book since "Path of daggers" many years ago and thought the last 4 books of series were utter dross but could not abandon series and always eagerly awaited for next installment. This book is rearlly remarkable when you see that Jordan is not writing the book but Sanderson is. Perrin's POV was great and now everything is set up for final book which will be a classic am sure, only regert was that they did not do Logain POV as am certain he will have major role in final battle. After long time you see Mat as he used to be. Wish they could have had a chapter on Rand's transformation as that would vave been very exciting am sure.
on 1 February 2011
I was originally sceptical of Mr Sanderson's attempt to finish the Wheel of Time. Notwithstanding the hype, I thought he would not be able to follow Mr Jordan's threads and keep to the true story. I was wrong. He has done better than I could have hoped. Book 13 is fast paced, thrilling and ties up a lot of loose threads that I was sure would remain hanging. He's really got the feel from the original author's epic and has, if anything, improved on the style, if that's possible.

I'll be watching closely for the 14th and final book. It'll be a masterpiece, if this one is anything to measure it by. Definitely worth the effort.
on 14 January 2011
The series started brilliantly and then had a bit of a dip, the last few books have taken them to a whole new level. The writing style from Brandon is fabulous and I am thankful he was chosen to take on Robert Jordans work. I finished the book last night, it was like saying goodbye to an old friend as I loved taking some time out and entering the world Robert created. It has been worth it on so many levels and I am really looking forward to the last of the series. I'm also hoping that it's not the end of the world we love too with maybe further books and stories to capture our attention.
on 8 December 2011
Great read, fabulous series, I've read the whole series and seriously think the last book is taking too long but still the more patience and effort in the book, the better the finale will become. Malazan series ended not long, going off with a huge bang and amazing ending, I hope Brandon can pull it off too, Well I know he can.

Since he starting helping the Wheel of time series to finish it, I started reading his books to get a feeling of what he can bring to the Series, and I believe he was the correct choice. His books are just spectacular to read and enjoy, the highs and lows and surreal images and stories.

With Robert Jordan I had a feel of his books having depth and a strong feeling of religion with the Wheel and the Maker, like Christianity. I didn't mind it at all, with his deep explanations and long passages of detail in some subject alone.
With Brandon I feel that this depth of Religion and long explained passages has gone, you can defiantly see the differences in the two writers.

Brandon loves to write short, exciting turning-pointed stories, whereas Robert was just like the Lord Of The Ring Books by Tolkien.

There were shorter, much shorter passages in the books Brandon wrote, this would explain why it has taken so long to write each book, and now the finale. Not only has he his own books to write and publish but Robert made this Series to have depth for the readers, to put so much into it and give out to its readers so much more.

At first I felt upset and disliked Brandon's style of writing, there was so much unexplained and I hated that he missed so much. This made me feel horrible and defiantly feel he wasn't the right decision, but then I told myself every writer has his own style, and because of such a long way of reading Roberts great amazing in-depth styled writing I felt excluded or a odd one out reading this unrecognizable style to this series.

I suddenly saw many changes in the book with many characters because of Brandon's style, and I also hated that he rarely had one character in the book, for example in this latest book, Not much is said on Rand and the Empress, partially left out to be honest.

I felt that most of the characters haven't had the chance of being able to put their input into this book and felt deeply annoyed and angry.

I miss Robert Jordan, and wished with all my heart and soul he could of finished this fabulous series but wasn't able too, and because of the loss of depth and deep character profile interest seen in earlier series, the chance of this being read and new characters would be un-heard of.

With what Brandon has for the story is great, and he is a great writer I still believe the only one who fits this role of writing this book, will ever always be Robert Jordan - Rest In Peace.
on 31 January 2011
Well, after a very promising start from Brandon Sanderson in "The Gathering Storm" he has seriously dropped the ball with this volume. An unwarranted proportion of the first two-thirds of the book is devoted to Perrin's deliberations, this is OK, but way too slow and dogged (dogged? wolf? Perrin? ;-)): indeed the entire chapter "Shanna'har" is a waste of valuable paper. This kind of thing harks back to the bad old days of the WoT series when large tracts of each volume seemed to be consumed by skirt-straightening nothingness. Rand's appearance in this book is almost a footnote and one of the main arcs of this volume - Mat's entry into the Tower of Ghenjei - well, all the time wasted on Perrin's navel-gazing sees this story shoved inelegantly into the last half centimeter of a very weighty volume. I'm not sure how much of this work is Robert Jordan's and how much Brandon Sanderson has surmised, but there is a long-standing 'mystery' revealed in this book right at the end which to my mind seems, not only incongruous but completely pointless. To cap it all off, the obligatory "- from the Prophecies of ..." this time is "from the Prophecies of the Shadow" well, I can tell you the Dark Lord needs a better writer because this is crass to say the least. The "from the Prophecies..." ending of The Gathering Storm brought me out in goose-bumps, this has brought me out in protest.

Devoted followers of the Wheel of Time will of course still read this, no matter how bad the reviews might be, and I'm no exception, but my hopes for Brandon Sanderson in volume 12 have been scuppered by volume 13. It's a fantastic tale in every sense, but it has suffered oh so much over the years from a lack of good editing. Bring on the final instalment.