5.0 out of 5 stars The Penultimate Book Of The Series
Another great book from Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series. This book is the second of the final 3 books which are narrated by Savannah Levine.

Published on 4 Aug 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better...
Published on 19 Jan 2012 by Sooz

5.0 out of 5 stars The Penultimate Book Of The Series, 4 Aug 2011
Amazon Customer (Oldham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spell Bound: Number 12 in series (Otherworld) (Hardcover)

I wasn't sure I'd enjoy Savannah as a narrator. I loved all the books but the novellas and shorts that have Eve as a narrator are my least favourite. As Savannah is similar to Eve I was apprehensive. Luckily I have really enjoyed them, especially seeing how much Savannah has grown and evolved over the two books. I am looking forward to seeing her develop further in the final story.

At the end of Waking the Witch, Savannah lost her powers. In Spell Bound she is trying to come to terms with this, but is struggling. Her spells are such an essential part of who she is and how she identifies herself that losing them was quite devastating. It doesn't help that trouble keeping coming up, putting her in situations that make her miss the lost spells even more. All the supernaturals are a target for a mysterious group scheming to upset the current status quo. While everyone else meets at the Cortez Cabel in Miami, Savannah and Adam are out on the front lines trying to get to the bottom of things. They'll need to do it quickly or run the risk of their world being drastically changed forever.

The romance between Savannah and Adam was really well written, although I suppose it is technically more romantic tension than actual romance! I loved getting an insight into their relationship with each other that has been growing since Paige's books.

There was plenty of action to keep me turning pages and practically all of the recurring characters from the series play a role in this book. I love how threads from previous books in the series are coming together and am excited to see exactly what is in store for the main characters. I'm just sad that it will be quite a while before I get to find out.

Overall a great addition to a brilliant series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Savannah books and a great continuation of overall theme, 14 Aug 2011
I've written several reviews on Kelley Armstrong's 'Otherworld' series of books and in them have made no secret of the fact that Paige and Lucas remain my all time favourites and Eve and Savannah the two I've so far found hardest to connect with.

Well, this book has moved Savannah way back up the ratings for me. She's less whiny and self-opinionated and far more comfortable in challenging herself. Savannah was never written to be anything at all resembling a normal teen, albeit supernaturally gifted. She was always presented as the raw power and future that a coming together of witchcraft and sorcery, with a dash of demon could ever aspire to be. Armstrong has, over several years of books, cleverly enabled the princess of prima donna's with a chip on her shoulder and sackful of insecurities to grow through all of the teenage angst, impetuosity and cruelty that self-interested youth has above all other considerations. Finally, as we saw energing from her by the end of the last book, Waking the Witch she starts to mature, to think of others as well as herself. Start to realise that the world does not revolve around her, but that others - outside of her immediate family and circle of fellow supes - might well have as much right to life and as they are human might even benefit from a little supernatural help.

Savannah hasn't become another character altogether, the prima donna princess is still there. The girl with all of her insecurities is still there as is the daughter of Eve who has an almost demonic ability to remain dispassionate at the most gruesome and often terminal situations - and Armstrong does a fantastic job in making sure we see that - but Savannah has started to challenge herself. The author cleverly and (occasionally) subliminally uses a whole series of her characters as the supporting cast here to prompt, nudge, cajole and challenge Savannah to dig deeper within herself to find her inner strengths, and to .... grow up.

The plotline is a lead into the next book. So do not expect to have a big reveal at the end of this book. What you will get is the foundations for 'The Big Battle' and it's going to involve not just Savannah, but Elena and Clay, Hope and Karl, Eve and Kristof, Jeremy and Jamie, Cassandre and Aaron, and Savannah and Adam as well as Paige and Lucas. There are cameo's for all in this book, nods to all of their particular relationship idiosyncrasies, and they all feed a dual storyline - supernaturals are looking to 'come out' and the immortality-questers are back!

Running throughout it all is the romantic undercurrent. Everyone knows Savannah has loved Adam since she was twelve. Clay and Cassandra confirm it to her in the book. What we don't get from this book, though, is clarity on Adam's true feelings - no inner Adam soundbites yet *insert dreamy sighs* - but this book ramps up the temperature nicely. So much so, I actually let out a squeal of frustration at the end of the book that Ms Armstrong could leave me hanging on a snog.

This is by far the best Savannah book. It's also truly deserving five stars for the quality of writing, exceptional continuity and intriguing cliffhanger. I'm desperate for more!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 Feb 2012
This review is from: Spell Bound: Number 12 in series (Otherworld) (Hardcover)
I am a very religious book reader and I have read all of the previous books in the women of the otherworld series so I had big expectations for this book and I am very pleased to say that this book does not disappoint. I found that I just couldn't put the book down and it has all of the great aspects that I have come to love from the previous books and I would highly recommend this book to any fans of the previous books and I would recommend to any one that hasn't read them to get them you won't be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better..., 19 Jan 2012
Sooz (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spell Bound: Number 12 in series (Otherworld) (Hardcover)
What's good about Spellbound is that it is quite a gripping story and written at a more cracking pace than Waking the Witch. The overarching plot is developed more, we get interesting insights into the demon world, and the book doesn't end on an actual cliffhanger (though there is clearly more to come). Savannah shows real signs of growing up and her relationship with Adam develops nicely and logically. We also get to see much more of the other characters.

What's not good (and warning: Here Be Spoilers) is a strong sense I have that the book is plot- rather than character-driven, so quite different in tone from KA's earlier Otherworld books. This is shown, in my view, by the changes to one character - Hope. She gets pregnant - unexpected, given the attitude to children both she and Karl had in Personal Demon - she starts having visions independently of being at the site of a violent incident - and we are told that, as an Expisco, she has a short life expectancy and in fact has already lived longer than any other Expisco. All these come out of the blue, and don't seem to fit with previous information. And the visions are used to advance the plot - which is a bit artificial.

So, mixed feelings here. It's gripping enough that I read it in one sitting and am looking forward to Thirteen. And yet ... niggle, niggle...

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost at the end .., 30 Oct 2011
This review is from: Spell Bound: Number 12 in series (Otherworld) (Hardcover)
Another great Kelley Armstrong book!
This series has developed so much since it started - the world in which it takes place is rich and complex and each book takes us closer the end of at least this chapter!
I am looking forward now to the last book .. but with mixed emotions - who will I be saying goodbye to??

The whole series is worth looking at and there is plenty of supporting literature to be found outside of the main story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kelley Armstrong always keeps the pages turning, 21 Oct 2011
This review is from: Spell Bound: Number 12 in series (Otherworld) (Hardcover)
It's hard for me to say anything bad about a Kelley Armstrong book, I love her writing. Kelley's books, for me, are a proper page turner. I read them all in one sitting and Spell Bound was no different.

This is the second to last book in the Otherworld series (nooooooooooooooooooooo) since Kelley plans on taking a break from it to focus on other projects. As much as this saddens me, I know she doesn't want to keep writing and having the series lose it's appeal (like so many other series out there). Also, she has promised it's not an end but a hiatus, she plans on writing short stories and novellas featuring the Otherworld characters so we're not completely losing them.

The 2nd in the Savannah trilogy picks up exactly where Waking The Witch left us with that horrid cliff hanger ending. Good thing is, this book doesn't end on a cliff hanger but Kelley does tease us a little in the last few pages. As is my usual for Kelley's books, I cannot wait to read the next one and I'm pretty sad that it's a whole year away!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 14 Oct 2011
This review is from: Spell Bound: Number 12 in series (Otherworld) (Hardcover)
An excellent new book from Kelley Armstrong. I loved it+had it read in 3 days. I can't wait for the next one

5.0 out of 5 stars SPELLBOUND, 29 Sep 2011
Spell Bound (Women of the Otherworld)This continueing story about savannah after loosing her powers at the end of waking the witch,is fast paced and hard to put down, as you would expect from the otherworld series but I have one complaint,as a dedicated reader of Kelley Armstrongs books I was very disappointed that at the end of this book there was no hints about the next installment, not even a title to wait and look out for, let alone believe that this will be the last in the series - ending with book 13 is that bad luck or what!

5.0 out of 5 stars Build up to the last book, 8 Sep 2011
I love this series, and the books about Savannah. This book is the 2nd of 3 and this one is basically setting the scene for the final book. I must say i can't wait to find out what happens, especially with Savannah and Adam. You must read these in order to get the full story. i don't want to give too much away but the story carries on from the last book where Savannah wishes she could change the outcome of her case and if that means giving up powers then so be it. When she wakes up the next morning her powers are gone, and she realises that witch hunters are after her. Throughout the book she realises, with the help of Adam, that there is more going on and that her power outage has occurred to prepare her for what is coming next.

I love the way Savannah and Adams relationship develops through this book, and i hope that continues in the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kelley on top form again, 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: Spell Bound: Number 12 in series (Otherworld) (Hardcover)
Another book to add to my list of Kelley Armstrong books I've enjoyed. Savannah has lost her powers & how she deals with this is quite compelling. I would recommend this to anyone as a really enjoyable read, and in fact the first night was reading avidly till 3am & finished it the next day.

ARRAY(0xa637d1b0)

Spell Bound: Number 12 in series (Otherworld)
Spell Bound: Number 12 in series (Otherworld) by Kelley Armstrong (Hardcover - 4 Aug 2011)
Used & New from: 0.01