5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Otherworld books there are!
Published on 23 July 2010 by Claire Mill

2.0 out of 5 stars done in a hurry
Published on 26 Aug 2010 by Mrs. E. Green

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Otherworld books there are!, 23 July 2010
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
This is the 11th book in The Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong. Overall I love this series and it's one of my favourites, but I don't love every narrator. This is the first book told by Savannah and I was looking forward to it. She first appeared in book #2, Stolen, as a 12 or 13 year old witch who's mom had just been murdered. Since then she's appeared on and off as a side character, but now at 21 she's getting her first book. She's always been sassy, smart, determined and just a little dangerous, and I've always liked her, even when she was being a brat. So I figured there was a good chance I'd enjoy her story and I was looking forward to getting to know her better. Turns out, I really love her. This is one of the best Otherworld books of the series to date. For me, it's second only to book #1 Bitten, and possible book #10 Frostbitten, both told by my favourite narrator, Elena.

Savannah's story sucked me in right from the start. She's still the sassy, smart girl she's always been, and hungry to prove herself. Now she wants to take on a case solo and with Paige and Lucas (the people who raised her after her mother's death and also her bosses) on vacation and her associate (and long time crush) Adam away at a conference, now seems like the prefect time. In steps Jesse, a young PI who's worked with Lucas before, and is now looking for some help on a triple homicide case with apparent ritualistic aspects of the supernatural variety. Savannah jumps at the chance and heads to small town Columbus to see if she can solve the case. But it doesn't take long before she's making enemies and with a distinct supernatural possibility Savannah soon realises she may be next on the killers hit list.

All those traits that made her a loud mouth some times bratty kid, she uses to great advantage to work the people she needs information from. She can be brutally honest, but she's also happy to spin some pretty big tales when required. Savannah is a girl who hates to be seen as weak or vulnerable, she won't let it happen, but that doesn't mean she doesn't get scared. And it doesn't mean she doesn't have a softer side, something we've rarely seen until now. I loved getting deeper in to her head and figuring out how she works, how she thinks. She has to make some hard decisions and learns some tough lessons through this book which took their toll on her, maybe more so than we get to see here.

It was also fun getting to know Adam a little better through the eyes of someone who wants a lot more than friendship from him. But he's no the only guy who has Savannah's attention here. There is also Dallas Detective Michael Kennedy. He's the older brother of one of the victims and he arrives in Columbus at the same time as Savannah, hoping to solve the case as well. I loved the way they played off each other, particularly as Savannah's quite often shown great disregard for humans.

The story flows really well, mixing a little police procedural with witchcraft, and throws a few big shocks in along the way. I had a really hard time putting it down. Savannah is a great character to get to know, but like previous books, Kelley does a great job of creating secondary characters to love, or loathe, as well. Another plus point to this book is seeing Savannah's thoughts on some incidents that happened several books ago. She's played some big roles in the series before, despite this being the first book from her perspective, and learning how she's felt and dealt with some of those things adds something to it. There were some surprisingly intense and emotional moments in this book as well, and my heart went out to Savannah on more than one occasion. She's someone who uses a lot of her spunk to cover some pretty big issues at times, more so than I'd first have guessed.

This book has a few firsts for the series in it, but one of the most surprising ones is the ending. It was a great build up and left things completely hanging. None of the previous books have had a cliff hanger ending, but this one sure does! It's very well done and I love it as much as I hate it. The shock and surprise was felt and I'm gutted to have to wait til July next year for book #12, Spell Bound, which is also narrated (thankfully!) by Savannah.

I said it already, but I will repeat myself. This is one of the best Otherworld books to date. Kelley continues to weave great stories with great characters to keep this series fresh. With a series this long it's like settling down with an old friend for a catch up, but there is plenty of new things to keep it really interesting. If you're a fan of the Otherworld books, this is one not to be skipped! If you've yet to try them, I strongly recommend starting with book 1, Bitten, although it's not strictly needed. There is enough explanation given that you don't miss anything big with each new book, only small things, and it doesn't overload readers who've read all the previous books with repeated info. Just enough of a refresher of the most important aspects. A really great read, and I'm very excited for more books from Savannah's point of view.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cliff hanger for Kelley's otherworld series, brilliant!, 3 Aug 2010
Well well well, if you are a fan of this series this will not dissappoint. I realise that some reviewers have not been as pleased with this book, it lacks one of the usual elements that accompany this series. The relationship progression that normally occurs for the narrator, which in this case is Savannah - a character we met in the second book of the series "Stolen" she was 12 in that book and is now aged 21. Although, she seems older than her years due to a highly volatile, supernatural life! Savannah may have fine tuned her supernatural skills early in life but this novel sees her develop maturity on other levels. It's an awakening for her that she only realises her self as she progresses through the challenges set for her by insisting on going solo, for her first case.

This book is setting the scene for Savannah's relationships to build, and bearing in mind that she is only 21, I feel it was appropriate that this element was not expoloited. Savannah grows up in the pages of book 11, this was the more important focus.

Savannah is one of my favourite characters in this series, the cliff hanger definitely suggests there is more to come with her story as the focus. I am eagerly awaiting book 12!

2.0 out of 5 stars done in a hurry, 26 Aug 2010
Mrs. E. Green - See all my reviews
I have read all Of Kelley Armstrong's books and have loved them all. Bar this one. The characters are not given any definition and I truely hate it when authors leave the books on a weak cliff hanger. It just seems a really cheap way to get you to buy the next book. The story was interesting but I spent the majority of the book waiting for "something" to happen, it never really got off the ground.
Savannah is supposed to be a kick ass witch with phenomenal power but again, this is never really explored or exploited.
Overall I just got the impression that this was written in a hurry with a deadline looming, it is much, much shorter than the other books and should, in my opinion, have been marketed as youth fiction. Given the success of her YF trilogy, which I also loved despite being many years away from youth!, this could have been so much better.
Exceptionally disappointing given the 10 previous outstanding successes. I will not be rushing to buy the next installment of this story.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it (4*) but I don't love it (5*) and I really wanted to, 24 Aug 2010
J. Cooper "Jude" (Hove, UK) - See all my reviews
I am slightly in agreement with previous reviewers as I too felt this was far more a normal (rather than paranormal) crime story. Perhaps a Nadia Stafford influence - and I hated the first Nadia S story (didn't bother with the second). The magic used, other than at the denouement, was all rather childish and unnecessary - perhaps that is part of the rationale behind the great cliffhanger? Having said that, I realised at the end that what I wanted to read was THAT story (roll on July 2011) and this one didn't really matter very much to me at all. Which is a shame as I like the Savannah/Paige/Lucas novels and recently Paige and Lucas have been put on the backburner a bit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Aug 2010
Disappointing

I had pre ordered this item and was awaiting the next instalment with great anticipation. I will state that I normally prefer the werewolf stories to the witch stories. I have found Savannah to be a bit whiney in the past. But I though that this situation would have improved with her reaching the great old age of 21.

The most alarming thing lacking in this book is a well thought out plot with loads of twists, tension and turns. (The norm in one of her novels). There just to be too many characters very few of whom are fleshed out and explored. This makes the twist seems a little unconvincing. The normal level of romance /romantic tension in her book is absence. The love interest for Savannah is introduced and then dismissed. You do not really care about that character.

The supernatural part of this book feel like it was tacked on as an afterthought.

In addition it was quiet a short book and only kept me amused for two days.

As a big fan of this series for many years I felt let down by it. I would read it if you are a fan of the series so you are not missing any pieces of the puzzle for subsequent book but I would not buy it in hardback. I would wait for it in your library, borrow from a friends or get it in paperback.

5.0 out of 5 stars KELLEY ARMSTRONGS THE BEST, 10 Jan 2011
Great value for money, Kelley Armstrongs out done herself again. And she's put in a real cliff hanger at the end of this book, I must go now and look when the next books out...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to the series., 4 Jan 2011
I've been a huge fan of the series for a long time now, and feel that one of the strongest features is that you are constantly introduced to new characters point of views. That way the series hasn't got old or boring, and yet you still get to hear how the rest of the gang are getting on as they are usually floating around in the background.

I thought the book was a really new and fresh addition to the series. The plot was really exciting, and left you guessing to very near the end. I really liked Savannah's character - she's quite sassy, independent and dealing with some emotional baggage. Whilst the book does end on somewhat of a cliffhanger - the general plot is more or less wrapped up, but leaves you waiting to see what will happen to certain characters and how they will develop further.

As much as I love the Otherworld series, it's been along time since I thought "WOW, I really need the next one" immediately after finishing reading one. This one however has left me with a rather large want/need for the next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant addition to the story, 2 Oct 2010
The story seems straight forward. Savannah take advantage of Paige and Lucas's absence to prove her worth as an investigator.

But things go everywhich way and savannah thrown into new murders, apparent suicides and cult dealing - aswell as investigating the 3 older murders.

I won't give to much away but as usual Kelley Armstrong gives a brilliant telling of Savannah (one I've been waiting for). Savannah is as good as I expected.

Reading the previous books helps but it's not neccessary in this case. 5 Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 20 Sep 2010
As per usual, Kelley Armstrong has surpassed herself in this latest book in her Otherworld Series. This time, the story is focused on Savannah - a young witch - who finds herself embroiled in a serial witch-hunt murder. She has the help of her friend Adam (a half demon who can incinerate anything)and a human detective, Michael. The plot is fast, but paced extremely well and is incredibly readable. Anyone who enjoys Modern Fantasy, will enjoy this story. The ending has a big twist, and I can't wait for the next one to come out!

1.0 out of 5 stars Gutted - this is not up the usual standard, 12 Aug 2010
M. O'Toole "Avid Reader" (Ardee, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I was so disappointed with this book - it feels like someone read of all of Kelley Armstrong's books, and tried to write a sequel in her absence. Other favoured characters in the series are mentioned briefly, but do not make an appearance as such. The characterisations are weak, the story is weak, and the ending not only should have "To be continued...." written after it, but is so sudden, its as if the author suddenly remembered having something better to do.

In manys the other Otherworld books can be read standalone. This one can too, but the ending appears to be trying to turn the books into a "proper" linked series - but really badly done.

Kelley Armstrong has been on my auto-buy list for years, and this is the first time I have regretted the purchase. Must do better.

Waking The Witch: Number 11 in series (Otherworld)
Waking The Witch: Number 11 in series (Otherworld) by Kelley Armstrong (Paperback - 7 July 2011)
6.39