5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Ending!
Published on 26 July 2012 by ReadWriteReviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Oddly disappointed.
Ive never written a book review before...so excuse me if its a little vaque.

Published 19 months ago by Zoe

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Ending!, 26 July 2012
I'm a huge fan of this series. This has been the series I've grown with. I've been reading them for about four years now. This has been the series that will always stand out in my mind. I think most readers will have that one series that pulled them into the world of reading and to me this is it. The Women of the Otherworld series introduced me to the world of all things paranormal. This series has had such an impact on me personally, and I will never forget it. Why am I telling you this? I want you to understand how much the ending of this journey means to me. I love these characters and I've watched them grow and become unique individuals. This is the world I want to step into to. But with 13, that journey comes to an end.

Yes, I'm upset that my all time favourite series is over but then again I'm not. Kelley Armstrong has brilliantly tied everything up from the series. We see all the characters returning and we find out what the future holds for them. it couldn't have been done better. The series finished on a high and this will make all readers come back again and again. We see the series wrapped up perfectly, every characters gets their ending and I couldn't be happier for them. Yes they are tried and tested throughout the book but that's what it's like to be a supernatural, nothing is easy or normal. It never will be. We've come to the end of the journey and that has left me very emotional. No other series has made me feel this way. This book in one word was perfect.

13 is a very good and strong book. It's one of the best in the series, and you can easily tell. Right from the start the reader is hauled into the middle of the action. This book is full of action, it's the war of the Otherworld after all isn't it? We see characters returning and combining forces to combat the bad guys. I loved how all the different supernatural races came together to save their world. It was brilliant.

I don't want to give too much of the story away as this is book 13. If you haven't read the series, I really recommend it. It will always remain my favourite.

13 joins the Otherworld when a mysterious group of supernaturals are hell bent on revealing their secrets to the rest of the world. In the middle of it all are our favourite characters. Each are drawn in and tangled into the groups plot to reveal the truth of supernaturals. We see Savannah and her friends coming together to find out how to stop this group before things change their world forever. What makes it worse is the leader of this group has created a deadly virus which can turn normal humans into terrifying monsters. As the Otherworld splits into two sides, Savannah and her friends have to put a stop to this before it's too late.

The characters in the Women of the Otherworld are so real and fleshed out. They are the best characters I have ever read about. Each main character is unique and there are a lot of them. Even so Armstrong creates memorable characters that leave a big impression on the reader. We have Savannah the fiery witch. She's brilliant, I've grown with her since we met her in book two. I love watching her grow and learn throughout the series, its a brilliant reflection of real life and what all of us go through. Minus the magic powers. We have Elena and the werewolves. I will always love them. It started with Elena in Bitten and even now she's my favourite. We have so many other important characters I can't list them all but they are all great. Well the good guys anyway! Even the bad guys were creepily real. Oh and the Demons, we got a better look at them in 13 and they were incredible. I won't say more as I don't want to spoil it.

I loved 13, it's that simple. It's a brilliant book that keeps the reader engrossed from start until finish. I didn't want it to end but it had too. The twists and turns were great too, some made me grip the pages harder others made me gasp. I didn't see any coming. Oh, I'm going to really miss this series. I feel like I'm saying goodbye to an old friend and it's heartbreaking. This will forever remain my favourite series, the impact it's had on me as a reader is phenomenal. This book was a brilliant end to the series and it couldn't have been better. The Women Of the Otherworld truly went out with a bang. 13 is the perfect ending to a brilliant series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oddly disappointed., 10 May 2013
Ive never written a book review before...so excuse me if its a little vaque.

I love kelley armstrong, shes one of a my favourite authors but ive found the books in this series getting less 'fleshy' if that makes sense? The last couple of books that centered on Savannah (and the last one about Elena) seem to lack the depth that the others had and thats especially prevalent in 13. I enjoyed reading it and was sad to see the end but it left me feeling like nothing had really been accomplished in the book and that it was rather pointless? I dont know whether thats because ive grown up as these books have been written or something to do with the author. Its a must read for anyone who is a fan of the otherworld though.

4.0 out of 5 stars 13, 28 July 2012
Ali (Scotland) - See all my reviews
And so it ends. A series that has been a mainstay of my late teens to my mid-twenties. I'm sad to know that my summers will not be spent stalking the postman in anticipation of the arrival of a new Otherworld book but also glad that Armstrong decided to end it when she did, with a bang and with some loose ends that hint towards the potential of another visit somewhere in the future. Those loose ends, though, are fitting because this is not the end of these characters lives and Armstrong makes clear in the author notes that, in some ways, this is just the beginning.

This is a very action packed book, probably the most relentless of all of the Otherworld novels, and there is very little in terms of downtime for Savannah and co. Armstrong just kept driving forward the plot that was built up in Spell Bound (Women of the Otherworld), with the Supernatural Liberation Movement continuing with their nefarious plot of outing the supes and unleashing a 'virus' that will turn humans too. But, of course, the characters I have come to know and love are not happy with this and join forces to try and save the day - and all with Savannah's powers still on the fritz.

If I'm being honest, the full on plot is a tad overwhelming in places, not always in a bad way, but it certainly made me slow down when I was reading to keep up with the goings on. Very hard to do when the writing makes you want to keep turning the pages at a speedy rate!

What I particularly enjoyed was how all the characters who narrated a previous instalment also got to narrate a chapter of this. I love multiple POVs and, as much as I've come to like Savannah as a character, particularly in this final book, I'm a little sad that they didn't get a second chapter to themselves. The powers, abilities and personalities that they have are all so different, it would have been nice to spend just a little bit more time with them.

I've had my highs and my lows with this series and 13 (Women of the Otherworld) may not be my favourite but it was so worth sticking with the series right until the very end. An excellent finale.

PS, the short story at the end was a really nice touch that harked back to the series beginnings.

3.0 out of 5 stars Middling, 5 Sep 2014
I was looking forward to this, especially having seen the number of positive reviews and given how much I have liked previous books in the series. However this book suffers from being overhyped. There was not really a great satisfying conclusion, in fact it probably left more loose ends than it tied up. Infuriatingly there was no decent explanation for the demonic interferences in particular; there was a nod in this direction but it wasn't much of one. The final irritation when finishing a book billed as the conclusion of the series was to be told that the author has ideas for other stories.... Enjoyable if not particularly deftly plotted and a vague conclusion. A shame as most of the other books are wonderful,

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 10 Feb 2013
Kelly Armstrong's character's are great but it disappointed me that the book was sold as this great climax which really failed to materialise. The product description says: "Savannah Levine - fiery and unpredictable - stands at the heart of the maelstrom. There is a new, dark magic inside her, granting her the power to summon spells of terrifying strength. But whether this magic is a gift or a curse, no one knows." But this simply isn't true. Savannah barely has any magic until the very end and there is no indication that what she's getting back is new, dark or terrifying. She manages one big spell at the end but even then there is no indication that this could be a curse rather than a gift.
I think this book suffered from bringing too many characters together without the skill to weave a true ensemble piece. Armstrong was more successful focusing on individual characters in her earlier novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic but bittersweet conclusion to one of my favourite series, 28 July 2012
13 takes off exactly where Spellbound ended, Waking the Witch, Spellbound and 13 are actually the only books from the Otherworld series that don't have a big time gap in between them. Savannah and Jaime get "arrested" while trying to get away from the lab explosion, they get taken to a police station but don't get booked or anything so conclude that it's a trap. After fighting off a crazed werewolf and and escaped hellhound, they manage to get away from the station with Eve. Eve and Savannah find out that there's an anti-SLM group as well. They plan to infiltrate the SLM to take it down from the inside but the plan fails when the Nast cabal get involved and take Eve and Savannah into custody. After getting away from the Nast cabal, they team up with the rest of the Otherworld crew minus Antonio & Nick (*sad face*) and through some helpful demon Lords in the shape of Eve and Adam's fathers, they manage to find out exactly what's going on and stop it - with a lot of magic and action.

So yeah that was a very small recap because so much happens in this book that I'd end up just writing the whole damn story here. Anyone who reads my reviews or knows me personally knows how much I LOVE Kelley's books - it's impossible to not love her writing. For me - and any long time Otherworld fan - this book was a bittersweet read, as much as I couldn't wait to read it I also didn't want to read it 'cos as soon as I did then the series would be over.

So some of my favourite bits or my gasp out loud moments ........ (will be hidden due to major spoilers so highlight to read) ....... this part of my original review contains major spoiler so please click the link if you want to read them [ ... ]

So any of my readers know they aren't going to get an unbiased review from me about a Kelley book - there's no such thing when it comes to Kelley. I freaking loved this book - sad to see the series end but Kelley did it justice. We got to see all of our favourite characters again and she tied off some open storylines while still leaving enough open to warrant novellas at a later date - which Kelley has said will happen.

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
Is a very short story purely there for the Alpha hand-off storyline. While 13 was happening, the twins and the rest of the pack were in Russia with the Russian pack so when Elena, Clay, Jeremy and Jaime join them, Jeremy officially hands the pack over to Elena.

I love the way he did it. Traditionally it would be a challenge so Jeremy challenged Elena to a game of chess. Which was already set up so that Elena would win since it was only a formality, everyone but Elena knew what was happening. Then there's a cool little scene with all the pack playing touch football as Elena watches them - and Jeremy is playing - realising they are her pack. As I said, a tiny short but it was only to serve one purpose. Oh and also let us see Xavier one last time.

5.0 out of 5 stars End of an era or a new beginning........., 20 Aug 2014
Great story and nice end-note. Couldn't put this down and didn't want it to end, but has it ended?
The wiggle room for other tales to written from this storyline is immense. Looks like Kelley has left herself many mouth-watering option.
Thanks for this series Kelley, and now to read some other of your other series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Love kelley Armstrong, the whole series is incredible

4.0 out of 5 stars Good finale with potential for follow ups, 9 July 2014
H. Iles (Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 13: Number 13 in series (Otherworld) (Paperback)
I loved this series when it started but it did feel as though it went off the boil a bit, the author had other stories to write. However saying that I rather enjoyed this book and it tied off a few loose ends with a promise of a few short stories to come from Kelley. You do however I feel need to know the characters from reading other books in the series prior to reading this one. The earlier books were more stand alone but then she was introducing a lot of the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Avid reader, 17 Jun 2014
Kelly Armstrong has never been a boring author and does not disappoint with this book as usual her characters hold up and her tale is wonderful

13: Number 13 in series (Otherworld)
13: Number 13 in series (Otherworld) by Kelley Armstrong (Paperback - 2 July 2013)