4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun escapism

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but ultimately forgettable
Published on 9 Mar 2011 by A. L. Rutter

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun escapism, 1 Aug 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss, Book 3) (Paperback)
The third instalment for Majorie and one that challenges our lead heroine. It's got intrigue, its got some politics and above all else it has left our heroine wondering who she can trust in a situation that she's going to have to work pretty hard to get out of. It's gripping, it's definitely got some moxy and above all else it's a title that leaves the author a whole range of area's to explore if she revisits the world. It's definitely an adventure, it's definitely a tale that the reader will love, and whilst I missed the second part I wasn't left feeling out in the cold as far as the characters were concerned. A great sign but if you've not read at least the first part, put this title down and explore the shelves as otherwise spoilers may well prevent you from enjoying the other titles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hunters Kiss book 3, 26 April 2011
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss, Book 3) (Paperback)
Although I enjoyed the first 2 books in the Hunters Kiss series I think A Wild Light would have to be my favorite so far. I was left a little confused by the ending though, I thought the series was going to be a trilogy but I'm really hoping that this wasn't the final book because I still have questions that need answers! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Marjorie M. Liu has decided to continue the series but I haven't been able to find any information to support that.

I've mentioned in my reviews how much I like Maxine's "boys" and I think I love them even more after this installment. We get to find out more about them and their relationship with Maxine's family and although they would make terrifying enemies I still find them unbearably cute. Although I like the other characters for me they are the highlight of the series.

Maxine has a lot of problems to deal with in A Wild Light, not least of which is her complete loss of memory when it comes to Grant. Waking up next to her grandfather's body covered in blood she has no idea what happened and no idea who Grant is. Her lack of memory make it difficult for her to know who she can trust but she is going to need all the help she can get to discover what happened to Jack and stop the hunter who is chasing after him. She also makes a startling discovery about her past and her abilities that could change everything so she is in for a bumpy ride.

If you haven't discovered this series yet then it is definitely one I would recommend reading in order starting with The Iron Hunt but it is well worth picking up if you're an urban fantasy fan. Marjorie M. Liu has created an interesting and original world and I'm hoping we get to see more of it in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Hunter Kiss" series book 3, 20 Aug 2010
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss, Book 3) (Paperback)
Maxine Kiss is the last Demon Hunter on Earth, a hereditary position passed from mother to daughter when the mother always violently dies. Having believed that she would be alone until bearing her own daughter; who in turn would take over the ownership of the five demons that tattoo her skin, Maxine has in fact found love, family and acceptance. Yet those she loves are as unusual as she is and bring their own dangers; her Grandfather Jack (who is actually just energy that parasitically infests a human host), her lover Grant (who is able to manipulate souls with his voice), Mary (a marijuana addict who happens to be an assassin from another world) and Byron (an immortal fifteen year old boy), plus of course Maxine's own demons; Zee, Raw, Aaz, Dek and Mal.

The story line is clever, exciting, disturbing and moving as at last MML produces a "Hunter Kiss" book on par with her "Dirk and Steele" novels. It has been a jumbled, confusing and somewhat slow start to this series but this book made my motivation to continue on with it just because I like this author well worth it. In "A Wild Light" the reader at last has some answers as to what role Maxine will play when facing the end of the world, her relationship with her demons is more deeply explored and MML actually reveals some personal history of these vicious little demons who love Maxine so much. Additional characters are introduced who have a huge impact on Maxine, whilst some of the situations she faces and the decisions she has to make will hopefully be expanded upon in future books. 4.5 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but ultimately forgettable, 9 Mar 2011
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss, Book 3) (Paperback)
A Wild Light is the third novel in the Hunter's Kiss trilogy by Marjorie M. Liu, and concludes the ongoing story ARC concerning the veil being torn between the world of humans and the demon prison. Maxine Kiss wakes from a world of nightmares to discover the body of her grandfather next to her, covered in blood, and a man she doesn't recognise who tells her they are lovers. What follows takes Maxine to the very limits of her emotional resources as she discovers the secrets of her ancestors and tries to close the veil for good.

Strangely, this was my favourite of the trilogy. After reading the first two books and feeling generally underwhelmed and confused, I was not really looking forward to the third but wished to read it for the sake of completism. I'm glad I did. Although it wasn't great, it tackled some of my issues from the first two novels and presented a much more linear plotline.

My favourite part, by far (and has been my favourite all the way through), are the demons that inhabit Maxine's skin as tattoos during the hours of sunlight and become corporeal when the sun sets. Dek, Mal, Aaz, Raw and Zee are terrifying and cute in the very same moment - fabulously characterful as they hum Bon Jovi hits in Maxine's ears and eat cuddly teddy bears. Maxine's curious relationship with her `boys' is the true highlight of the trilogy, and I was pleased to see more secrets concerning this being revealed in the course of `A Wild Light'.

Marjorie M. Liu also deigned to explain more of the ongoing situation - dealing with Avatars, Wardens, demons and zombies. In The Iron Hunt and Darkness Calls, I found myself struggling to follow the events of the books - I understood that the veil was failing, but much of the detail was lost on me. In A Wild Light Liu recaps in a manner that illuminates many of the characters and situations so that my enjoyment was maintained through the whole novel.

My general impression of this book, and of the trilogy as a whole, is that it is written in stunning fashion but lacks a driving plot or any real tension. The concepts are wonderful - demons that live on the skin, zombie parasites feeding on pain - but they nestle in a trio of books that don't truly go anywhere. It is all style and no substance. Marjorie M. Liu's trilogy is beautiful but ultimately forgettable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wild Light, 28 Sep 2010
This review is from: A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss, Book 3) (Paperback)
I really did enjoy all three books. A fantastic imagination from Ms Liu. The series moved on very quickly with lots of action and if, at times, it was difficult really to understand what manner of creatures they all were, who created whom and why, let's give it over to artistic licence.

We need book number 4 now, please. The story simply cannot end like that. We need to know what the point of Byron really is, what will Jack do next and whether or not Maxine and Grant have a daughter and if Maxine manages somehow to escape her bloodline's inevitable fate. Above all, I need more of the boys. They are true genius. A+++++ all the way

A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss, Book 3)
A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss, Book 3) by Marjorie M. Liu (Paperback - 5 Aug 2010)
6.44