4.0 out of 5 stars Revelations you just can't miss
As a fan of Patricia's Mercy Hautman (Nee Thompson) series I really couldn't wait to get my paws on this title. Whilst other series by Patty don't quite thrill me (Alpha and Omega) there's something gripping about this shapeshifter Coyote that strikes a chord (whether its her street smarts or perhaps her quips, I'm not sure) and keeps me glued as each adventure takes her...
Published on 27 Feb 2011 by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a Let Down
I sadly have to agree with most of the other reviews- this latest installment was a disappointment.

I think it's safe to say that I, like most other fans of the series, was really looking forward to this book and expecting great things from it. In the end, it didn't *feel* like all the other Mercy books and couldn't keep my attention.

I felt the book...
Published on 20 Mar 2011 by Amy Connolly

4.0 out of 5 stars Coyote brings chaos and change, 2 Mar 2011
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: River Marked (Mercy Thompson) (Paperback)
Mercy Thompson is one of the few urban fantasy heroines who isn't all lily-white -- she's half Amerindian, from whence her coyote shapechanging comes.

And Patricia Briggs' sixth urban fantasy "River Marked" delves into that oft-neglected side of her heroine. The plot is patchy and rather meandering at times, but Briggs keeps it moving with her strong earthy prose, likable characters, and some new insights into the world of shapeshifters. It's nice to get away from the Tri-Cities area!

When her mother starts overplanning her wedding to Adam (doves! Balloons! BUTTERFLIES!), Mercy decides to have a small, intimate ceremony instead. And they immediately embark on an idyllic honeymoon in a remote canyon on the Columbia River. But Mercy soon stumbles across some connections to her long-dead father -- other Amerindian shapechangers, ghosts, and true dreams.

As she searches for connections to others of her kind, Mercy stumbles across something much nastier, when she is "river marked" while rescuing a wounded man (who was bitten by something barracudaesque). The secret to dealing with the river creature will send Mercy back through ancient lore -- and the discovery of her father's true identity...

The previous five Mercy Thompson books all took place in the same general area, so it's a little refreshing to get out of town in "River Marked." Oh, the regular supporting cast makes appearances -- from the mopey Stefan to Mercy's cutthroat mama -- but most of the action takes place in the rugged canyons and murky rivers.

The biggest problem is that that the plot is pretty patchy. The main focus is on Mercy's search for her roots, so the river-monster and otterkin subplots sometimes get shoved to the sidelines. But Briggs' prose is strong and earthy, with some warmly snarky moments ("You stop baiting him -- or I'll call my mom") and some otherworldly ones (Mercy's talks with Coyote).

And it's good to see more exploration of Mercy's roots -- we know she was raised by werewolves, but Briggs really delves into her mystical, mysterious heritage here, and it adds a new dimension to her without seeming Mary-Suesque. Almost as important: she and Adam are now a full-fledged couple in every sense of the word, but they still have some wrinkles to iron out.

Patricia Briggs' "River Marked" is light on plot, but heavy on atmosphere, characterization, and a suitably monstrous magical foe. It's not the best of the series, but it's a powerful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a different type, 3 April 2011
This review is from: River Marked (Mercy Thompson) (Paperback)
I loved this book and had been looking forward to the publication for months. I do agree with some of the other reviewers about missing some of the regular secondary characters, as I love Warren, Ben, Zee and Stefan, and I think we could have learned a bit more about the menagerie. However I thought it was refreshing to explore native evils and Mercy's native origins. I loved Coyote and enjoyed the parts where Mercy and Adam discovered more about their mating bond. There were incidents which I loved, for instance, Walmart, Jessie's phonecall and the antics of the walking stick. I didn't find the book at all boring, but the pace is different from some of the other books. I highly recommend the whole series, for anyone wishing to enter the world of the most fiesty independent and intelligent heroine in urban fantasy fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Buy!, 5 May 2014
This review is from: River Marked (Mercy Thompson) (Paperback)
OMG!!! Very good book! I laughed through out this book & cried just as much. Such a good read it's a must buy book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mercy Thompson book 6, 21 Mar 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: River Marked (Mercy Thompson) (Paperback)
I've recently reread all the previous books in both the Mercy Thompson and the Alpha & Omega series and I've loved them all as much, if not more, than the first time I read them. I can't tell you how much I love the world that Patricia Briggs has created and it's been like taking the time to catch up with old friends. As much as I've enjoyed rereading the earlier books I was excited to get to River Marked though, I never got this far when I read the series for the first time so I was looking forward to that exciting first read where everything is new to you and I have to say the author didn't let me down and this is another fab instalment in the series.

I have loved watching Mercy and Adam's relationship grow throughout the series, I just love the way Adam totally gets Mercy and has never once tried to change anything about her. She might drive him crazy with the way she always manages to get into trouble because his instincts are to protect her and keep her safe but he understands her need to take care of the people she loves and he supports her in that which is something I really respect him for. He's also been so incredibly patient and supportive of her as she recovers from the ordeal she went through in Iron Kissed, it's not something she'll ever completely forget but she has come a long way down the road to recovery and that is in part because of Adam. Anyway, I don't want to say too much about what happens between them in this book but I will tell you that the first few chapters were so good that I had tears of happiness in my eyes as I read them. In fact, they were so good that I had to reread them before I could continue with the rest of the book! It's absolutely fantastic to look back at how far they've come as a couple but I also loved seeing Mercy realise how many other people love and care for her. She's always felt like she was alone and didn't quite fit in anywhere so it's wonderful to see her look at her friends in a new light.

A lot of this book is spent with Mercy and Adam away from their home and I have to admit that I did miss spending time with the side characters I've grown to love. It wasn't quite the same without Samuel, Warren and Kyle or even Zee and Stephan but we do get to meet some interesting new characters and we get to find out more about Mercy's Walker heritage which I really enjoyed. There is one new character in particular that I really hope we're going to end up seeing a lot more of as the series continues - he has the potential to become a new favourite! As much as I missed the other characters I did really appreciate getting to spend more time with Mercy and Adam, seeing them grow more comfortable as a couple and start to really figure out how to communicate properly, in fact just seeing how much they mean to each other was brilliant.

Only Mercy could go on holiday to the middle of nowhere and find herself facing an enemy that not even Adam can help her with so of course it's not long before she's up to her eyes in trouble. She may have found some new allies but she's got to face this one alone to a certain extent and it's not going to be an easy task. There are some brilliant fight scenes towards the end of the book and what turns out to be quite an epic battle which had me on the edge of my seat. River Marked had a slightly different feel to it compared to the previous books but it made a nice change and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars As always, 23 Feb 2014
I love Mercy, she's a very well written and fleshed out heroine. And unlike Anita Blake, she can kick ass without having to be the object of every sexual fantasy going.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best so far, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: River Marked (Mercy Thompson) (Paperback)
Loved this one!!! Put some great background into everything and I was starting to find her books following the same format, highly recommend!

2.0 out of 5 stars A near miss, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: River Marked (Mercy Thompson) (Paperback)
There were some elements to the story very satisfying but overall this is the weakest book in the series. You have to read all though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read!, 7 Jan 2014
I read the first five books not realizing there was more till I searched my kindle. Kind of addicted to the stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 27 Oct 2013
M. Olden "Michael Olden" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: River Marked (Mercy Thompson) (Paperback)
I won't write a huge amount, all you want to know is, is this a good book. Well written, interesting characters, well thought out plots and a great idea for the supernatural fan. A very good series. I love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 22 Jun 2013
Absolutely obsessed with this author! Always excited to see what else she is going to come up with. Love the realtionship between Adam and Mercy.

River Marked (Mercy Thompson)
River Marked (Mercy Thompson) by Patricia Briggs (Paperback - 3 Mar 2011)
6.69