5.0 out of 5 stars Great continuation of the Mercy Thompson world
I love the Mercy Thompson books, and this one is a continuation/spin-off of that world. It is about Samuel's brother, Charles, and his newly found mate, Anna.

Since Charles lives in Aspen Creek, Montana, we get to learn a lot more about the Marrok, his home and his pack. I really enjoyed this, and look forward to reading more in the future...
Published on 13 Sept. 2009 by Emma

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but have read better in the were-wolf end of paranormal romance...
As werewolf novels go this one is a good solid read but it is by no means the best out there. The plot is well planned and well carried out but I was left feeling that it could have been so much more with just a little more effort. As the first Patricia Briggs novel I have read, the world she has created here is easy to pick up and you are not left feeling as if you are...
Published on 8 Oct. 2008 by Jessica Simpson

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome story, 8 July 2011
This review is from: Cry Wolf: Alpha and Omega: Book 1 (Paperback)
I wish I'd read these books before I read the Mercy Thompson series because the Alphas don't seen as bad in this, or maybe it was just Adam I didn't like. I don't know ... anyway Cry Wolf. Definitely worth a read, I like the Omega aspect and how everyone reacts to Anna, also how that reaction makes Brother Wolf (Charles' wolf) react to them.
Anna had a bad start as a werewolf and it takes her a while to trust Charles but Patricia Briggs writes amazingly well and with really lets you get into their heads. It's great getting both their thoughts on the matters and you can't help (well I couldn't) shouting at them in your mind that they're both thinking the same things and if they just spoke to one another they'd move forward so much quicker. But, that's why we read books, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun if the whole story was sorted out in the first chapter. Anna meets someone who knows more about Omegas and helps him, in turn he helps them with the big showdown.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read for beginning of paranormal series, 14 Mar. 2012
Dobsew (Colchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Cry Wolf is the beginning of Charles and Anna's relationship in Montana. Following the novella where Charles found his mate Anna in Chicago and discovering that she is an Omega, they start to get to know each other in wolf and human form. This story is about their developing relationship whilst they are on a mission to protect their father and the pack from an evil black witch who wants to control all the werewolves.

Ms. Briggs' writing style makes reading this book and easy read and there is enough story to keep the reader intrigued to see how it develops as well as seeing the relationships within the Montana pack grow. I would have liked more intense scenes between Anna and Charles as their love for each other develops but I will definitely be continuing the Alpha & Omega series to see where it leads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 13 April 2010
I'm so happy that this book turned out to be another great start for a new series. After falling in love with Mercy Thompson books i was very exited about reading more from Patricia Briggs and she hasn't let me down! I was a bit worried though before reading the book as i'm an absolute Mercy fan that this book wouldn't live up to my expectations but i'm glad it did.

I was lucky that i found out from other people's reviews to read the short novel first in On the prowl because without reading it first i would have been totally lost. To be honest i think it's quite silly that this series starts off as a short story in another book as from reading other reviews not everyone knows about this...
Luckily i knew this though!

Absolutely brilliant start of series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most enjoyable read, 13 July 2014
clever Ms Briggs I loved the Mercy Thompson books,but Charles and his Anna tugged at the heart strings.Write some more stories of them please,I really want to know how they grow and develop and hopefully thrive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Start to Spin Off, 11 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Cry Wolf: Alpha and Omega: Book 1 (Paperback)
I've read all the mercy Thompson books and wasn't too sure about trying this because I wasn't certain how this would play out. I've been pleasantly surprised. I was confused by the start because it seemed something was missing and that's clarified by other reviewers. However if you're coming to this book cold without having read the Mercy Thompson series then I don't think it's much of a problem.

The story starts after the killing of the Chicago Alpha for his actions endagering werewolves by the Marrok pack. The marrok are run by the Alpha of all werevolves. These are challenging times because it has been recognised the werewolves will ahve to come out in the near future like some of teh fae already have. A problem occurs in the "backyard" of the Marrok area which could be werewolf politics trying to distract the Marrok alpha from his intention at a future planned meeting of putting on the agenda the coming out of werewolves. Charles, the Marrok hitman, is sent out barely recovered from his wounds with his not quite mate (Anna) to track down the source of the attacks in the wilderness. It becomes clear whilst they are chasing down the cause that all is not what it seems and that the attacks tie into something which happened 200 plus years ago to one of the Marrok members. A black witch is loose looking for revenge.

We also introduced to a new type of werewolf in this story. I'm sure we're all aware of alphas and pack heirarchy. In this book we are shown a rare type of werewolf - an Omega. Read the book if you want to know more!

The book made for a good read. It was fun, entertaining and passed the time well which is what, in my view, a good book should do. It's not heavy going just light stuff. If you're into werewolf books then I think you should enjoy ths one.

3.0 out of 5 stars The next series to come from Mercy Thompsons' world, 29 Oct. 2008
klynn - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I was desperate for the next Mercy Thompson installment and realised Briggs had brought out another sort of 'spin off' story about Charles; Son of the Marrok and younger brother to Samuel Cornick.

I'll have to admit, i loved all the characters very much but i just couldn't love Charles like i do Samuel. Ok, as a reader i've know Samuel Cornick for three books now and this is Charles' first shot but i felt either too much of the character was hidden or he just wasn't my kind of guy!

Anyway, the story starts by immediately throwing us into the belief Charles found his Mate while on a mission for his father in Chicago. Anna, his new mate, is from the Chicago Pack and despite being formmerly abused by said Pack is the rarest and most intriguing form of werewolf- an Omega.

Charles is injured after his mission in Chicago and the two travel home to the safety of the Marroks territory. Not long after their return, a rogue stirs up trouble by murdering hikers in the nearby mountains and Charles (with Anna by his side) are sent out to deal with it.

The introduction of a new and very old charater means this small errand for Charles isn't quite what it seems...

I'm sorry, but i feel i've missed a book out here. I feel a little duped. The most interesting issues are missed- how Charles got injured, how he met anna, why anna so readily leaves her home town, how and why Charles killed her former Alpha... the list goes on. I feel a little stupid here 'cause i hope i haven't missed out a book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not this author's best, 21 Aug. 2008
Rebecca Taylor "Bex" (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
I recently ordered three books from Amazon: this was the one I was looking forward to the most and, ultimately, enjoyed the least. Maybe my expectations were too high? I'm a huge fan of Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thomson series of books (Moon Called, Blood Bound, Iron Kissed), and couldn't wait to start what seems to be a new series set in the same world. Unfortunately I was disappointed. I won't recap the plot, as that has already been done very efficiently by another reviewer, but for me it had a number of weak points. Anna is a very meek heroine, and for those more used to the feisty Mercy the danger is that her timidity will rapidly pall. Charles, who has always seemed to be an intriguing character, was reduced to little more than a Mills & Boon style hero, and the novel as a whole reminded me strongly of the Lori Handeland werewolf novels - fun enough is you're in the mood for romance with claws but unsatisfying if you were hoping for something meatier. Moreover, we join Anna and Charles in the middle of their story, and what's gone before, which we only get in bits and pieces, sounds a lot more interesting than where we come in. If, like me, you haven't read 'On the Prowl' this is very irritating!

It says a lot that I enjoyed the sneak preview of Bone Crossed we get at the back of the book more than the main feature. For fans of Briggs' Mercy Thomson series this book is worth reading if you would like to know more about some of that series' secondary characters, or as something to fill in the time until Bone Crossed is published. For newbies, I would suggest starting with Moon Called to give you a real example of what this author can do.

5.0 out of 5 stars more of Charles and Anna., 22 April 2014
this series is more of Charles and Anna and in this book we see them out on a mission to find out about a possible Rogue Wolf attacking and killing people. As always there's more to the story, and what seems like a simple excercise ends up being a dangerous one, involving people thought long dead and a very evil witch. There's real danger here and even Bran is brought to the edge...
We see more of Bran's misfit pack and I enjoyed that too. We hear and make assumptions about them when references occur in other books, but its great to learn more about some of the individuals that make up the pack.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 31 Oct. 2008
Silver (Banstead, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This book delivers a story from a female werewolf perspective in a pack, unlike the Mercy Thompson series, which mainly discusses werewolves and pack from a male view.

I will not describe what the story is about, as you can read synopsis in the product description. The only thing I would point out is that the book does not describe what an omega is in too much detail. You kinda have to piece it together yourself.

That aside, I thought the book was a really good read, with a good pace and storyline. If you enjoyed the Mercy Thompson series, you will enjoy this book for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cry Wolf, 20 April 2012
Sharon Locke (Wales) - See all my reviews
If you enjoyed the Mercy Thompson series of Patricia Briggs books this new series will be enjoyable reading. I enjoyed the book and found it easy reading and knowing some of the characters felt like I was going home. Unfortunately for me I was in the wrong home - I wanted more from Mercy! I'm hoping that I will love the series more as I carry on with the Alpha and Omega titles. The first in the series is always the slowest as you have to be introduced to the characters and relationships but that said the book was enjoyable and I didn't get distracted by other books while reading it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Cry Wolf: Alpha and Omega: Book 1
Cry Wolf: Alpha and Omega: Book 1 by Patricia Briggs (Paperback - 3 Sept. 2009)