5.0 out of 5 stars The end of an epic fantasy trilogy.
What can I really say about this last trilogy that I haven't already said about the previous two novels? Honestly not much! These books are just that good, for a first time author Weeks has created a masterful debut Fantasy series. As with the previous two novels this book is written brilliantly with Great in depth characterization and a beautifully set back drop...
Published on 27 Jan 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Average fantasy
Some great ideas here, some really nice writing spoiled by jarring dialogue, lack of explanation regarding past legends that seem to have massive bearing on the storyline and anti heros that aren't all that anti or all that heroic.
I reckon that in 3 or 4 books time Weeks will be an author to read. This trilogy however relies heavily on Deus Ex Machina to the degree...
Published 13 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars The end of an epic fantasy trilogy., 27 Jan 2009
This review is from: Beyond The Shadows: Book 3 of the Night Angel: Night Angel Trilogy Book 3 (Paperback)

The story has progressed a great deal from the second novel, there is a new Queen in Cenaria, alas for her nation she proves to be a corrupt incompetent who only cares for her own power. The true King Logan is off hunting the last of the God Kings armies while his friend Kyler tries to warn him that he is marching into an ambush that could destroy him and any hope for the future of Cenaria. As for Kyler he will learn the bitter truth of his immortality he must also figure out a way to save a nation and restore a King to his throne, along the way he will meet old friends and older enemies.

All in all I can honestly say this is one of the best debut Fantasy trilogies i've ever read, if you're stuck for something to read then this will definitely make you sit up and think. Brilliant trilogy!

I hope this review was of some help to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant!, 21 April 2009
I saw a review for this book on Amazon so bought all three. Glad I did. Very refreshing to read an author who doesn't stick to the safe passages of other authors but is willing to write a story that includes taboo subjuects and proper swearing as you would expect from the class of characters. Literally couldn't put the books down and had all three finished in a mateer of four days. Blown away! The only disappontment I had was that there was no more at the end of book 3. Told my brother how good they were so I showed them and when I made him a drink he stole them. Now I am thinking of asking a wetboy to do me a favour! Fast pasced, excellantly written, truly enjoyable. Out of all my books in my collection with over 50 authors Brent Weeks eased into my top ten favourites with this trilogy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ending to a very good trilogy., 17 Dec 2008
I liked the cover and the blurb sounded interesting so I picked the first book of this series up in a bookshop a few weeks ago. It was good but nothing out of the ordinary, however, I enjoyed it enough that I did want to read more to find out what happened to all the characters and how it would all work out. I picked up books two and three at the weekend and I was so engrosed in the story that I ended up reading long long into the night and have been half asleep at work for the last two days. The glimmer of promise shown in the first novel has developed into competent and very enjoyable fantasy writing.

Without giving away too much of the plot and spoiling the story Book 1 - The Way of Shadows (Night Angel Trilogy) sets the scene and introduces the stories of Azoth, a boy from the underbelly of society who ends up training as apprentice to Durzo Blint a wetboy (magical assassin extrordinaire), Logan Gyre the son of a Duke and several other more minor characters who become more major characters as the story progresses. When this book ends Azoth has become Kylar Stern, has killed Durzo Blint and has gained mastery of a magic which means that death is only another injury to be recovered from. Logan has become King, but has lost his kingdom and is thought to be dead along with his wife Janine, and the Khalidoran enemy has captured Cenaria.

Book 2 - Shadow's Edge (Night Angel Trilogy) begins with Kylar Stern turning his back on being a wetboy and trying to start a new life with Elene, but when he hears that Logan is not dead but captive in The Hole he must return to save his friend, and ends with Kylar inevitably (but not predictably) saving the day.

In Book 3 - Beyond the Shadows, Terah Graesin has usurped Logan Gyre's throne and enemies threaten the country from all sides. Khalidor is in chaos and Neph Dada is trying to raise the Goddess Khali. Kylar must do what Logan will not to secure his throne and he must defeat a Godddess herself.

As a writer Brent Weeks has improved in each book. There is more depth both to the world and to all of his characters as the trilogy progresses and the storyline is original and inventive. The first book held promise but book two and book three most certainly deliver on that promise. I'm looking forward to reading more from this author in the future and although this is the final book in a trilogy I'm sure this is not the last book that will be set within this world featuring Kylar Stern. Definitely worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Page turner, 13 Dec 2008
Enjoyed the first book in this series, found the second book was more about setting the scene for the third book, but still an enjoyable read...if slightly darker than the first book.
But wow, this the third book, was spectacular, I couldn't put it down, a real page turner...though this book was released one month after the second book, I very much doubt it is the work of one month, it is beautifully written, drawing all the plots and characters previously introduced into a clever and well thought out ending.
It is rare to see the progression of all the smaller plots and characters wound up so cleverly into the main plot...Well done the author:)

4.0 out of 5 stars can't wait for the next series... there will be one.. right????, 27 July 2009
This is the last instalment of the Night Angel Trilogy, and the culmination of all the small stories coming together. I admired the way that Weeks brought it all together, but the ending left me with the distinct feeling that... theres another series in the pipeline.. I hope so, as there still seems to be story-lines opened that weren't concluded.. such as... the twins of Logan and the Princess.. what will be the outcome of Kylar and Vi. I'm waiting. The trilogy is good all on its own, but I'd still like to see what is coming next.

I found some of the story a little too emotional, but that's just me. a good stroy all round. Read the other 2 parts though, or you will definitely feel as though you missed something.

5.0 out of 5 stars A just shy of fantastic conclusion to the trilogy, 18 Mar 2009
I love Brent Weeks' style as it reminds me of some of the books of my old time favorite Michael A.Stackpole. The characters stay interesting, the plot twists and turns as in the two previous books... My only beef with the book is that there should have been a fourth part. Suddenly, half way in the book it feels as if the autor realized that he had only half a book left to finish the story. Interesting plot paths fade away or are abruptly cut off. It stays interesting but it could have been so much better. Still, the whole trilogy is among the best series i have read in a long long time. Highly recommended. And on the off chance Brent Weeks reads this: I WANT MORE!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great characterisation, weaker worldbuilding. Nonetheless very good!, 27 May 2010
End of the journey.
Good and fitting final. Touching, moving with powerful emotions.
My deepest admiration is for Elena. Hat's off.
Kylar, Durzo, Count Drake are my favourites. Even the Wolf.

However, there a few glaring drawbacks that I cannot dismiss.
First of all, the whole trilogy was a bit short on history of Midcyru. Brent Weeks has probably realised it and attempted to force feed us large chunks of it in the last book but it didn't go very smoothly.
Second, too much was squeezed into one book. Too many events, too much info. It all felt a bit rushed. Not the ending, but the whole Beyond the Shadows.
A few questions were left unanswered or unclear? Such as, why Kylar could not defeat magic of wedding rings with black ka'kari if it was devouring any other type of magic, or how did Elena come up with the idea/knowledge that Khali was a disembodied spirit who needed a willing person to sacrifice her body?

I would say that Brent Weeks has created superb characters but world building was a weak side of the Night Angel trilogy. All in all it is a very good story (7 out of 10), page turner.
I believe the ending is open enough to write more in Midcyru's world, maybe with some familiar characters. Who knows? I am looking forward to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 26 Oct 2009
J. Charlton "J C" (Somerset England) - See all my reviews
This was the first book I had read by Brent Weeks, but I managed to buy all threee books in the trilogy and I am very pleased I did.

A thoroughly good read, exiting, fast moving, brilliant and inovative ideas and good characterisations which do not detract from the speed of the story.

I would buy anything else written by this author.

I cannot recomend this trilogy anough!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very readable and absorbing fantasy, 12 Oct 2009
A Reader (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Other readers have described the story, which draws you in from page one of book one and keeps you hooked. Just one gripe - if the black kakari is THE devourer of magic, why couldn't it devour the magic of the earrings?

Anyone who likes these books will also enjoy Carol Berg, Michelle Sagara, Patricia Briggs, Patricia Bray, Michael Stackpole and Raymond E Feist, inter alia (and vice versa!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldnt put it down, 13 Sep 2009
I bought the first book in the series, really out of not seeing anytyhing else I wanted to try at the moment, and pretty much after about page 20 I was hooked. I got through the first 2 books in a couple of days and then had to order the third. I wasnt disappointed. I enjoyed it, and whilst it may be the end of the night angel trilogy, I can only hope its not the last we see of the fnatastically written characters given to us in this series of books.

Give the series a go, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

ARRAY(0xa7623780)