5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute brilliance from a first time author!
Published on 15 Jan 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars complex fantasy
Published on 15 May 2012 by Nick Brett

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute brilliance from a first time author!, 15 Jan 2009
This review is from: Shadow's Edge: Book 2 of the Night Angel (Paperback)
I have to keep pinching myself to remind me that this trilogy is the authors first series he has written. Yes these books are just that good! This book continues on from the war and conquest of the God King and the subsequent terror unleashed by him on the populace of Cenaria. We also see the very difficult realities for people who are under the boot of an occupation army, starvation, murder, rioting and rape are a daily reality for the people. Most affected are the poor of the Warrens who find themselves brutalized on a daily basis, through such adversity they manage to gain the power to stand up and and fight back against the God Kings hoard.

What I do find great is the characterization Weeks has created for his characters. We see the lives of people like Kyler greatly changed as he finds the women he loves and takes her away from a life of a pain and misery and ultimately from Kylers work as a wet boy. But will Kyler be able to leave his exciting life behind? Will he have just one more job to complete? Also we get a glimpse into the like of the ousted King Logan as he tries to survive the hell and misery of the hole. Will this peril be to much for him? Or will he survive to become stronger in himself?

I'm about to start the third and final book in this series, i'm hoping it wll be as good as the first two.

I hope this review was of some help to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great continuation from the first book, 5 May 2009
griff1974 (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadow's Edge: Book 2 of the Night Angel (Paperback)
This is a really good effort at a middle book in a trilogy. It bridges well the gap between building the characters in the first and the big climax in the third. This is the classic 'I'm trying to get out but they keep dragging me back in' part of the storyline, and it's been done in a sympathetic and believable way.

There's always a risk when the action and movement is being ramped-up that characterisation will be lost. The author sometimes teeters on the edge of this, but thankfully never quite tips over. The main characters you've grown to like from the first book actually find a deeper engagement with the reader, drawing you further into the story. The exception for me is Elene who I feel never really gets going as a character - a bit wishy-washy. To put it positively, the author has identified what works and is sticking with it.

Once he's back 'in' Kylar develops well in his power as the Night Angel, but always has the human frailties that give vulnerability where it's needed. The introduction of a broader geography gives him greater scope as a character but also places him in a bigger and more dangerous world. As his power grows, then so does the threat.

It's a big challenge to keep a storyline together when characters spread out across a world, but the author gives it a really good effort. None of them lose the big-picture but all of them also overcome their own back-story to give them greater depth. Whether they're all necessary to the story is another question, but they certainly don't detract.

Overall the book delivers excellently on the promise developed by the first one. If you like Kylar, Durzo, Logan, and Momma K, then don't delay in getting this. It gets stuck on four stars as it's not epic quality, but it's definitely a very very good first effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest, but damn great anyway :), 15 April 2009
Thomas Andersen "Thomas Andersen" (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadow's Edge: Book 2 of the Night Angel (Paperback)
I've read the first book, which I thought was "Pretty good, but not too great.", but the second installment really has me hooked.
It's more gritty, though a lack of Durzo Blint gives it less "edge", more grueling, more gruesome and all at the same time, more compelling and heartfelt.

It's definitely a book worth reading, if you like fantasy and books that are not meant for 10 year olds ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Upping the stakes, 27 Nov 2008
Mr. I. G. Bullough (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadow's Edge: Book 2 of the Night Angel (Paperback)
Following on from the first instalment, Beyond the Shadows, Shadow's Edge continues this trilogy and raises the stakes quite considerably. Having been a little ambivalent about the first book, enjoying the concept and the writing but finding it a little generic and unevenly paced, I genuinely enjoyed this novel and felt it didn't suffer from the difficult 2nd book in a trilogy problem. The characters are more developed and it's a much more consistently paced book that the original (which i had enjoyed as well) and am definitely looking forward to reading the third of the series. I don't think the Night Angel series will be considered one of the genre classics of the future. It may not make it into the read again category either. HOWEVER, don't let this put you off - these books are enjoyable, invigorating and with some troubling concepts especially early on, not to be taken too lightly.

Definitely a pleasureable read - made my 14 hour flight from argentina to London wizz by!

5.0 out of 5 stars I can change, 26 July 2009
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Shadow's Edge: Book 2 of the Night Angel (Paperback)
Second volume in the nights angel trilogy of fantasy novels. If you havent read the first Shadow's Edge (Night Angel Trilogy) then read no further. go and read that instead. Because this volume picks up right from where that left off and makes no concession to those who havent read it.

If you have read it, then read on.

This book runs for 636 pages and contniues the story from the first one, with kylar and elene and uly having left the city and heading off to start a new life elsewhere. Things don't go according to plan and kylar is constantly faced with the temptation to slip back into his old ways.

Meantime back in the city they left as the godking tightens his grip rebellion is brewing. When news gets out that logan has survived the resistance has the figurehead they need. but they need to rescue him. and there's only one man for that job...

and other characters from before and a few new ones have their own quests and agendas to pursue.

so as before we have well drawn characters in a big and engrossing story, with quality prose that makes it a real page turner. There are surprising plot developments along the way, a very big battle, and the whole thing ends on a whopping great cliffhanger. there's a short excerpt from the third and final book in the story right after that. But the quality of the series so far will be enough to make you want to buy it anyhow.

As with the first book it's not for everyone, thanks to gore and violence and strong language, but it's never gratuitous

5.0 out of 5 stars Shadow's Edge, 26 Feb 2009
This review is from: Shadow's Edge: Book 2 of the Night Angel (Paperback)
Even better than the first one!
Brent Weeks is an amazing author who manages to keep so many complex story lines going throughout, without either losing the reader or the overall plot.
Characters are brilliantly developed - so human, so easy to relate to.
Keeps you hooked the whole way through and you can never guess exactly what's going to happen next or why.
All in all a fantastic read =)

5.0 out of 5 stars More than I had hoped for, 21 July 2009
J. Jensen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadow's Edge: Book 2 of the Night Angel (Paperback)
This trilogy is a fantastic read. I went in blind, not having read any reviews or anything else from this author, and was gripped by the series from the first page to the last. I read them over the course of a weekend, so I can safely recommend this trilogy to anyone interested in gritty fantasy reading.
We have a young struggling protagonist, and we follow him through all the books. He is a tortured soul who slowly comes to grips with the power he wields and his morals, while engrossed in politics, power struggles and war. The development of this character is solid and in depth, and somehow the author manages to give all of the peripheral characters real substance as well. I found the female love interest of the main character very annoying, in style with the women of the wheel of time, and hoped for most of the series that our hero would come to his senses and ditch her, but she was the only persona that I didnt feel empathy towards, which is quite a feat considering the many vile characters this series parades in front of the reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding Trilogy, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: Shadow's Edge: Book 2 of the Night Angel (Paperback)
As a reader of fantasy for nearly 30 years, I have to say that this trilogy is really up there with the best! The plot draws you in from the beginning, and the cliché of not wanting to put the book down and just read one more chapter has never been more apt. They are on the darker side of fantasy books, with some graphic descriptions but this only makes the story that more "real" It doesn't hold any punches with the description of war, evil, loss, sacrifice, despair etc... but then this is balanced by the beautiful descriptions of honour, love, hope, fortitude and strength. Yes, this is a fantasy book but I believe the telling of the "human" emotions is some of the most poignantly and expertly written text I've ever read. For anyone into fantasy, you just have to read these books. For anyone who doesn't read fantasy, if you can stand gory descriptions, the depth of the characters and their emotions and struggles are worth the venture into fantasy. Thank you Brent Weeks, I just hope the Lightbringer series live up to this trilogy. Excellent!

3.0 out of 5 stars complex fantasy, 15 May 2012
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shadow's Edge: Book 2 of the Night Angel (Paperback)
First a confession to put my review (and score) into perspective. I read the first book in this trilogy (this is the second) a good couple of years ago and many books (some of a similar nature) have been read since. So I have to admit I did have trouble catching up on this one, but it just might be me. The vast cast of characters and magical elements did really make me focus to try and remember and even to the end, there were one or two elements I never really caught up on. So a warning, don't leave it too long between the books unless you have a far better memory than I do.

Kyler is a "Wetboy" an assassin, but in reality so much more than that. But in the face of an ultimatum from the woman he loves, he tries to put his past behind him and make a living that does not involve killing people. So this book starts off with him just `wet' rather than a `wetboy' as he moves city and tries an honest living. Of course we know his past WILL catch up with him and bring him back into the conflict that has ripped the country apart and could get even worse....
So, I was a tad confused. It was a little...dull....for a while....But then it picks up and takes off. Maybe a bit of a middle book as characters are positioned for the third, but the author has writing talent and plays to quite a dark side, so no light and frothy fantasy here (but then it is about assassination after all).

Maybe let down by too many characters and ideas, certainly let down by making the lead character (and therefore the book) too dull in the beginning, but also redeemed by an eventually good story. A mixed bag, I have better hopes for the third (which I must read soon while the memory of this stays with me!).

3.0 out of 5 stars A solid mid-trilogy filler..., 4 Feb 2011
Wibblah (Westminster, London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadow's Edge: Book 2 of the Night Angel (Paperback)
Set immediately after the first in the trilogy, this book faithfully serves its purpose as a "filler" before presumably the grande finale in the final installation. Rather, that is the way it comes across. Our protagonist, fresh from causing carnage looks to start out a quiet life leaving a war ravaged town behind him. In his defence, he does think that his best friend is dead and torn between the love of his life and his desire to seek retribution he tries to live a nice quiet life.

The other main theme in this book revolves around happenings back in town with Logan trying to survive long enough for the "rebellion" to get its act together. There are numerous subplots within this theme and frankly many of them we could have done without. If anything the sheer number of characters can be bewildering and require the reader to go back at times to review exactly which plot line is being followed. There are however enough interesting developments to keep you pushing through to the end.

Somewhere about 2/3 of the way through the book it really starts picking up without spoiling the end all I can say is that it sets the scene rather nicely for the last book with at least one twist which I really didn't see coming.

Overall this book is absolutely worth a read if you enjoyed the first. It felt a lot darker than the first, but given the scenes set in a war ravaged city and the "pits" its really not that surprising. Certainly not a book for children though with some rather explicit references, all of which are well within context however. I for one will certainly be looking to read the final installment.

Shadow's Edge: Book 2 of the Night Angel
Shadow's Edge: Book 2 of the Night Angel by Brent Weeks (Paperback - 6 Nov 2008)
7.99
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available