5.0 out of 5 stars Whimsical storytelling
Published on 16 Jun 2010 by A. L. Rutter

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but went on a bit
Having read the first book, I decided to purchase the second in the series, but maybe that was just a little too much of the blue electric angels?
Published 11 months ago by maria birch

5.0 out of 5 stars Whimsical storytelling, 16 Jun 2010
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Midnight Mayor: A Matthew Swift Novel: Bk. 2 (Matthew Swift Novels) (Paperback)
The magical wards of London are being systematically destroyed -- the ravens at the Tower of London are dead, the London Wall is defiled. Before the very fabric of London is sucked into chaos, Matthew Swift must solve the riddle of where Mo has gone, and who is scrawling the slogan `Give Me Back My Hat' across the walls of his city. In The Midnight Mayor, Kate Griffin takes the reader on a scorching tour around the city of London, introducing the Midnight Mayor and the extremely creepy Mr Pinner, Death of Cities.

If you liked A Madness of Angels, you'll enjoy The Midnight Mayor. Kate Griffin employs the same writing style, imbues the pages with the character of London, and builds on many of the concepts introduced in her first novel about Matthew Swift.

I did like A Madness of Angels -- very much. I loved the dense writing, the beautiful descriptions, and the way that Griffin was able to turn the mundane into the magical. I thoroughly enjoyed the mystical characters and reveled in the mystery of the blue electric angels.

The Midnight Mayor was very similar, and that comprises one of my complaints about it. There were so many echoes of the first novel that it felt as though I was still reading A Madness of Angels. Once more, the novel opens with Matthew Swift in a state of confusion. He then tackles a creature from the depths of nightmare. In the first book this was the litter-bug; in The Midnight Mayor he comes up against spectres that can be slowed down by the recitation of ASBOs. Then, as last time, we spend the majority of the story travelling around London and trying to use the rules of the Underground to prevent the villain from capturing Swift and Oda. Again, the finale is a breathless adventure tackling the dark soul that has been terrorising Swift -- in A Madness of Angels it is Hunger, and here it is the Death of Cities. I loved the first book, so it was no hardship to follow more adventures of Swift, but I would have liked to see more departure from the formula.

One way in which The Midnight Mayor departed in a grand fashion from A Madness of Angels was in the development of Matthew Swift's character. In this novel he truly came alive, stepping to the fore and taking charge in a way that he failed to do last time. This character development was handled deftly by Griffin, to the extent that it was only really at the end of the novel that you realised how far Swift had come from his first confused moments. I also want to mention the scene where Swift and the blue electric angels found their wings -- this was a real `punch the air' moment and it left me truly agape.

I also appreciated the little flashes of dark deadpan humour that Griffin has added to Matthew Swift's character. This added pathos and allows the reader to identify more easily with him:

"...It's like quests. You get told `go forth and seek the travelcard of destiny' and you know, I mean, you seriously know that it won't have just been left down the back of the sofa. You read -- seen -- Lord of the Rings?"
"Yessss..."
"Ever wondered why they didn't just get the damn eagles to go drop the One Ring into the volcano, since they seemed so damn nifty at getting into Mordor anyway?"

Griffin also successfully fleshes out some existing secondary characters -- such as Oda -- and brings in some intriguing new characters -- here the Aldermen were a highlight. This all helped to give The Midnight Mayor warmth that was missing in A Madness of Angels.

Altogether, The Midnight Mayor is another triumph of imagination and whimsical storytelling from Kate Griffin. I thoroughly enjoyed working my way through the stunning prose. The effort it takes to immerse yourself in the world of Matthew Swift is definitely repaid in full.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great second book in this urban fantasy series, 6 Aug 2011
When sorcerer Matthew Swift finds himself attacked down a phone line and subsequently being blamed for the death of the mythical Midnight Mayor his world is about to change in strange ways he could never have expected as the city of London comes under supernatural attack. I've found myself really enjoying this urban fantasy series. The magic is imaginative and original and Matthew Swift the main character in the book is both likeable and interesting and totally unique. I'm honestly surprised this series isn't better known, but it's one I'll be recommending to friends. I'm now really looking forward to reading the next installment The Neon Court: A Matthew Swift Novel (Matthew Swift 3).

4.0 out of 5 stars Similar to original but still fun, 9 May 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Having been glued by the original offering by Kate I really had to get my hands on this hot little number upon its release. Why? Well Kate has taken a touch of Neverwhere, blended it with a modern Urban Fantasy and topped it with a liberal splattering of that good ol Constantine magic that the reader can't help but enjoy. Whilst the first offering took a little bit to get into, this one really does hit the spot from the first page.

Whilst the arc may seem a little similar to the original offering, A Madness of Angels, this one really does take a different tack and exploration due to the differences with protagonist that really adds a touch of freshness to the outline. A great offering and one that the reader can jump into without having read the previous although personally I think you'll be missing a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chapters?, 22 April 2010
simon211175 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book reads very much like the first one (A Madness of Angels (Matthew Swift 1)) - you're dropped in to the action right at the start and spend the rest of it unravelling the mystery. The style of writing is very fast-paced, the action never seeming to stop long enough to catch your breath. I enjoyed this book slightly more than the first one, which took me a while to get used to the writing style. I'd recommend this to anyone - especially those who've read the Night Watch (The Night Watch) series.

I think my only gripe with this (and the first book) is the lack of chapters. The books are split into parts, which is fine - but sometimes it's not possible to read 150 odd pages in one go, and I like to finish a chapter when I stop reading. Perhaps it's just me though - and I did still enjoy the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another really good story, 22 Aug 2013
I like Matthew Swift he's. (They are) an enjoyable protagonist, the Aldermen, whilst necessary, are so irritating in a way that Oda (for me) isn't. I knew (or rather, suspected) I wasn't going to experience the sheer unputdownable magic of Bk. 1 and thoroughly enjoyed the tale but.............

There was something, maybe just the premise of Penny being able to bring about as much as she did with no knowledge. That didn't sit right with me and so only 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely hooked on these - am trying to ration the next books, 26 July 2013
Great to find a new series of books, the interplay of London with the story is fantastic. They rival my last obsession with Jasper Fforde and I'm desperate for a friend to read them so we can compare notes

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 23 July 2013
P. Marron "frazzled" (N Ireland) - See all my reviews
Sooooo descriptive, pace of a snail and frankly boring. I just couldn't bring myself to care- a real shame as I enjoyed the first book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solo much better than the first one, 5 May 2013
V. Dodd "Vicky Lee" (Warrington , Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
I really disliked the first book vehemently and it is one of only 2 1 stars I have ever rated. It was a struggle to read and I thought it badly written and too disjointed.
But there was a sample chapter of this one in another book I read and I got straight in to it. Much more cohesive than number and and a fantastic read. The only reason it gets 4 not 5 stars is I still think the angels go on a little to much and since time was of the essence why they wax lyrical is beyond me.
That said I will be getting the next one on the strength of this as I think as the author grows into writing adult fiction she has the potential to create a series as good as the Dresden files. Very impressed

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but went on a bit, 3 May 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars couldn't beat the 1st but comes very close! makes u eager for more!, 23 Feb 2013
The 1st book was awesome so the 2nd book must have been hard to write but KG succeeded. Initially took time to find its feet and in some places read so, but ultimately the succession has been achieved with an opening for so many more Swift adventures! WooHoo!! :) Can't wait! Gives a beautiful insight to the hidden/open sides of London :)

ARRAY(0xadaceeac)

The Midnight Mayor: A Matthew Swift Novel: Bk. 2 (Matthew Swift Novels)
6.99