5.0 out of 5 stars Harry on a learning curve
I must admit that I approached Ghost Story with more than a healthy dose of skepticism. This book had the potential to be as cheesy as that season of Dallas that turned out to be just a dream. Resurrecting your main character from the dead is a tall order. Doing it in a way that stays true to that character and to the Dresden universe that you painstakingly created...
Published on 22 Oct 2011 by J. Prather

1.0 out of 5 stars Harry you should of stayed dead,move over let Molly take the reins
wow..now i love this series but what the hell happened with this one Jim,have you lost interest.i have cold days on my TBR pile but i cannot bring myself to start reading after reading this rubbish i should have left the series at "changes" as was recommended by another review i read a while back.Love you Molly
Published 2 days ago by Mark Dunleavy

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars number 13 unlucky for some, 27 July 2011
Michael Woods "Luddite" (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is the 13th novel of the dresden files series and it has to be the most disappointing to date. The story starts with a great concept, the character is killed in the opening chapter but what follows is formulaic, lacks a coherent narrative and introduces and then either doesn't explore or reverses major changes in the lives of long running characters. It is as if the author still has lots of good ideas but no longer has the energy or time to see these through. Unfortunately this is a trend that has become more pronounced in the last three dresden books. The book is still entertaining and as fan of the series i will still keep buying them but i feel the author has probably been distracted over the last few years in trying to write two separate series of novels at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Butcher's Best, 21 Aug 2011
I love Jim Butcher's ideas and I love his magical Chicago, unfortunately I sometimes find his writing - well - clunky and the last book was certainly not his best using a worn out idea of father rescuing previously unknown daughter that everyone seemed to use at that time. Thankfully Ghost Story is better than any of the other Dresden files. The idea refreshes the series and the writing is, I believe, his best so far.
I always know a book is good if I mourn it when I have finished - the good thing is that the end leaves us well set up for more Dresden Files. When I finished the previous book I was absolutely sure he'd finished the series. I am so glad I was wrong.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pantomime, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: Ghost Story: A Dresden Files novel: 13 (Paperback)
The best thing about this book is that Dresden is a ghost in it, unable to affect the material world directly. That does provide an interesting twist, and means he sometimes thinks before he acts. However, that is not enough to redeem the book. Events are dragged out, there is masses of padding, and the bad guys just aren't scary. I felt I'd wandered into a pantomime where we were meant to hiss the villains without ever being menaced by them. Without giving anything away, I also felt cheated by the events of the final chapter. This book need serious editing; if it were half the length it might be twice as good. "Ghost Story" goes on too long; sadly I feel the Dresden Files have also. It's time Butcher ended the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Death should be a learning experience, after all, or what's the point?", 26 July 2011
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
When we last saw Harry Dresden, he had lost everything... and was dead. Usually it doesn't get worse than that. But Jim Butcher's "Ghost Story" proves that for a meddling wizard, things can get infinitely worse -- and while the book has some bits that should have been trimmed off, it's still a powerful, bleakly vivid experience.

Harry finds himself scooped up by a sort of heavenly police force, who inform him that there were some irregularities with his death. He's being sent back to Chicago as a powerless ghost to find out who killed him.

But Chicago has changed in the last six months. The Red Court's destruction has allowed other powers -- mainly the Fomor -- to rise instead. Hordes of wraiths and lemurs are following a monstrous shade called the Grey Ghost and a Bob lookalike. Molly has become a half-mad magical vigilante, and a guilt-ridden Murphy is leading a ragtag alliance of local powers.

And making contact with his friends is the least of Harry's problems. Without his magic or his physical body, he has to unravel the identity of the Grey Ghost, thwart a small-time sorcerer, stop a flood of murderous ghosts, and figure out who killed him to start with. But even if he works that out, he's still facing the ultimate unknown...

"Changes" ended with the mother of all cliffhangers, and in a way most of "Ghost Story" is also a cliffhanger -- Butcher keeps you wondering what will happen to Harry and if he's truly imitating the Norwegian blue parrot. And if he isn't all-the-way dead, how the heck can he come back from a shooting/drowning six months afterwards?

So there's a heavy grey cloud of suspense over this book, especially as Harry stumbles through the grim, blood-spattered world that has resulted from HIS ACTIONS. But when Harry drifts back into an active role again, the bleakness begins to lift, and the plot revs up into a slam-bang magical war involving ghosts, Star Trek, and some old enemies of Harry's.

Don't worry, humor fans. Butcher hasn't lost his hilarious knack for the snarky and silly ("It was like The Lord of the Rings and All My Children made a baby with the Macho Man Randy Savage and a Whac-A-Mole machine").

Butcher also puts his hero through the emotional grinder -- Harry is forced to see how his questionable actions have hurt the people he cares for, and have thrown the world into turmoil. This is perhaps the most painful part of the story, seeing Harry grapple with all that he's done.. But Butcher doesn't neglect the supporting characters, like Father Forthill, Morty the ectomancer, Bob, the ever-majestic Uriel and the stalwart shade Sir Stuart.

The book's biggest problem? It feels rather loosely edited -- Harry angsts that he shouldn't have brought Molly to Chichen Itza at least three times, and the flashback to Harry's youth would have made a better short story. Also... WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OTHERS?! I can't wait a year to find out!

"Ghost Story" leaves some threads hanging, but the powerful tale of an undead Harry Dresden trying to set his little world aright is also filled with action, pathos, and sharp bleak urban fantasy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnum Opus, 7 Aug 2011
I agree with the reviewer who says it's a "Dresden Epic".

Jim Butcher is developing the characters and each book is better than the last in so many ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars more a dresden epic..., 27 July 2011
than a magnum opus!

well worth the wait,a tremendous effort-everything you expect from jim butcher,and more.
hope everyone enjoys this as much a i did.

5.0 out of 5 stars The end of Harry Dresden, 12 April 2012
I have read all the Harry Dresden books, time and time again, I was determined to establish what happened to him after he fell into the Lake. It has ended for Harry now and having enjoyed the series immensely I will miss the style, interest-holding ability and humour of Jim Butcher and his characters in the Dresden Papers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bobby Ewing Lives, 14 Aug 2011
Quick. Break out the theme tune to Dallas.

I have enjoyed all the Dresden books. However I think the approach with this one screamed the end the of book out loud from the beginning. I actually thought the last book was it. A good ending to a good series.

Don't get me wrong, this book is almost up there with the rest of the Dresden series but for me it just doesn't seem right. Bring Dresen back as a ghost to wrap up some lose ends of and leave it - fine. Bring Dresden back as a ghost to return under Queen Mab's thumb is another. I think Butcher is going to be hard pressed to to continue this series to the standard set with previous books. I suspect far more faerie politics in future books than there has been and much less of Dresden doing his normal wizard thing which I have really enjoyed. I hope I'm wrong.

2.0 out of 5 stars The worst of them all, 1 Aug 2011
Totally disagree with the other reviews, IMO the worst book of all the Dresden series, to much reminiscing and angst, to much going over what had happened in the last books, too much how he had wronged Murphy & Molly, to much description which just felt like padding, loose plot and IMO not a good story line. And what's with all the jibes and jokes.... It really didn't feel like Butcher was taking this book seriously to me and was just having a great deal of fun at his readers expense. I just didn't really care who won or who lived or who died, I just wanted the story to end, and so I raced through the book not because I was enjoying it so much that I couldn't stop reading it I just wanted to see how it finished. I just didn't get this book at all and was very disappointed with it. IMO if this last book is anything to go by and there are going to be 20 books in this series this is way to long for me and I think I'll stop now and make this my last book.

PS I thought His Alera Codex series was brilliant, totally different to Dresden but excellent fantasy nonetheless, highly recommended and well worth 5 stars IMO.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Dresden, 19 Nov 2011
I wait impatiently for the next book to be ready making sure I have enough time set aside from the normal chaos of living and working so I can settle back with my newest book and discover what my 'friends' have been up to since our last meeting. I was so disappointed in Ghost Story I actually FLICKED THROUGH pages - shock, horror, I NEVER do that with a Dresden novel. (I did actually go back and reread those flicked pages on my second reading just in case I had missed anything but nope I didnt!) It was all battle, battle, fight, fight and a lot of blah - if this had been my first time reading a Jim Butcher book I wouldn't have bothered going back for more. So whats next? Is it indeed the author's way of bringing the series to a close? Has Harry been in enough scrapes? Like other readers I've enjoyed the short stories which bring more depth to the other characters; is it now the intention to bring some of these to the fore and leave Harry to the depths of Winter? Dear Mr Butcher, please decide which route you want Harry to take and either let him go to the afterlife in peace (his fans can then mourn for his loss and move on with their reading) or re-read your own works and decide on what kind of life you truly want to prepare him for. The doom and gloom in this book was really more consistent with the ending of a life and a story rather than the anticipation of waiting on the next book. If I want doom and gloom I can listen to the news, I expect enjoyment, friendship, excitement and a fair amount of smiles when I read about Harry not desperation in hoping that the next page will be better.....:(

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

Ghost Story: A Dresden Files novel: 13
Ghost Story: A Dresden Files novel: 13 by Jim Butcher (Paperback - 2 Aug 2012)
7.19