4.0 out of 5 stars Damn you Butcher!!!
Oh man was I ready to give this book a slating.

I've read all the Dresden books. I've seen the characters develop, relationships become more and more complex and an entire world taking shape. Then, meh. 3 star books that I enjoyed but didn't necessarily improve on anything.Over the past few releases, I felt the books were becoming tired and stale. Dresden is...
Published on 28 April 2010 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I have for many years been a big fan of Jim Butcher and his books, and have always enjoyed his books and his world filled with suspense, humor and excellent character descriptions.
Published on 13 Sep 2011 by Jim

4.0 out of 5 stars Eeekkk, give us more Jim now, 18 April 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of the Dresden files so you can pretty much guarantee that when it lands I'm going to probably destroy it quicker than Harry on a Red Court Vamp. So when I started this I was pretty flawed by the opening paragraph and what was to unfurl within. I don't want to say to much but I think Jim will get a lot more mail over this release than any other out there. It's great writing, its gripping and above all else it's a title that you'll be sad to finish. The wait for the next release is going to be a long way off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Start of a new era of Dresden, 17 April 2010
This is definitely something new in the Dresden world. It's either a really shocking end to the series or a fantastic launchpad for a whole new direction for Harry Dresden PI.

The book itself is pretty classic Butcher style so its well written and funny and on the whole the only negative was the books brevity. In terms of the story it was really something new and fresh. The series has been getting progressively darker as its progressed and changes really takes this to a new level. We see darker enemies, more intrigue and a much darker Harry.

This book really had two parts to it. The part that said goodbye to the old Harry Dresden that was a pretty laid back if often imperiled wizard PI. And the new more powerful and scarred Harry Dresden who steps up the big stage and fights. There is a lot happening in this book and we see the answers to some old questions and some new questions to replace them. And all that is great and gives me hope the series will go on for another half dozen books at least but it also leads to the only flaw in the book. It was way too short for so much happening it felt a bit rushed and frantic although that may have been intentional as it does keep you off balance and matches the tone of the book to that of the lead character. I can only hope that the next installment follows soon to capitalize on Changes.

All in this is one of the strongest showings of the Dresden series and shows how the series has the promise to last much longer. And with the conclusion of the Codex Alera series I am really looking forward to see what happens with Dresden next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dredsen File ever!, 14 April 2010
Mr. Juan-manuel Vidal (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
It is difficult to review Changes without giving away too much of the plot. However, I can tell you it is a brilliant written book, with events happening at breakneck speed, and with overarching plot points being resolved. There are the usual humorous quips, but this book is darker than its predecessors. My only complaint is the book ends on a cliff-hanger (for the first time ever) and if you are fan like me, you will be counting the days until Side Jobs is released with the novella Aftermath set 45 minutes after Changes to see what exactly happened next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Talk About a descriptive Title - Changes, 10 April 2010
Wow, well the title is very apt. Lost and lots of changes, be warned this book changes the whole nature of the Dresden-verse significnatly. In fact its quite a bold risk cause the next book (And consiering how this ends - there better be a next book) will be radically different from any of the other before it. Only reason I ding it a star is actually cause I think there are a few too many changes/revelations/twists. Could have been paced better and allowed for more of teh off-beat humor that to me is a trademark of the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dresden Dies - Temporarily, 5 Mar 2013
David Coote (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
Harry Dresden, Chicago PI and full-time wizard, takes on the vampire Red Court and wins but sells his services to Mab, Queen of Winter so tries to do something about it by arranging to be shot - and then finds he can't get out of being in her service. Told with the author's usual humour and style.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect title, 4 May 2010
L. J. Roberts (Oakland, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
First Sentence: I answered the phone, and Susan Rodriguez said, "They've taken our daughter."

Seven years' ago, wizard Harry Dresden's love, Susan Rodriguez left after being turned into a half-vampire. Now she calls to tell him that his daughter Maggie, about whom he'd never known, has been kidnapped by the Duchess of the Red Court. Harry learns that Maggie is to be a blood sacrifice in an act that will destroy him and many others. Harry is determined to rescue his daughter.

I am, primarily, a mystery reader. I picked up "Storm Front," the first Harry Dresden book by Jim Butcher thinking it would be interesting to see how he brings mysteries and the paranormal together. While the books are far more paranormal/fantasy than mystery, about half-way into that first book, the genre definition no longer mattered.

Harry Dresden is not the stuff of fairy tales--at least, not the Disney versions--Grimm was, after all, rather grim--but the stuff of nightmares with a wickedly good sense of humor. It is definitely a series to be read in order.

Boy, does Butcher know how to tell a story. He touches every emotion while making us face the monsters in the closet. I thoroughly enjoyed the references to movie, television, literature which have become part of our popular culture.

The world and characters created by Butcher are vividly drawn and often very unpleasant. Much of that is offset by the strong human characters, excellent dialogue and wonderful humor. There is a delightful bit where Harry "said firmly, "I don't do hats." This is a jab to the fact that the cover of every book shows Harry wearing a hat.

Dresden is a classic hero. He is tall, attractive, strong, clever, protects the innocent and weak, destroys the bad buys and isn't overly macho ever. As with each previous book, we continue to learn more of Dresden's background. We also see the extent to which he is willing to go to protect and save others.

In "Changes," Butcher brings together nearly all the characters of previous books for this pivotal story, and some wonderful characters they are. It's thanks to his skill and imagination that we have Bob, the intelligent spirit who love trashy romance novels; Molly, Harry's apprentice; Mouse, the amazing Foo dog, and all the others; human and inhuman.

The story is non-stop with some breath-catching moments, both in terms of pacing and suspense. It is touching, suspenseful, gruesome, emotional, violent and occasionally funny. The book's ending is as much a shock to us as it is to Harry. I'm one who usually abhors cliff-hanger ending, but then realized Butcher did play fair with us by the lead up to the ending.

I am concerned about where the series is going from here, as I know the series is continuing. I'll just have to trust to Butcher's wonderful writing and go along for the adventure.

CHANGES (Para/Mys-Harry Dresden-Chicago-Cont) - VG+
Butcher, Jim - 12th in series
RoC, ©2010, US Hardcover - ISBN: 9780451463173

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 13 Nov 2014
This review is from: Changes: The Dresden Files (Paperback)
Great read

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 Sep 2011
This review is from: Changes: The Dresden Files (Paperback)
Reading his latest book in the Harry Dresden series i must admit that i am very disappointed: I am left with a feeling of silliness and vaguely annoyance, a great world and character is destroyed by a ridiculous story, filled with banalities and annoying character development. He should have left this one in the paper-basket.

I'm sorry Mr. Butcher

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 17 Feb 2011
s hemming (Janesville, WI, US) - See all my reviews
I love the books, but after seeing the love between Harry and Susan end in this way, unless Ghost Story results in not bringing the two of them together again, I think I'm going to be very disappointed.

Susan and Harry were the one true love story in all these books. Murphy and Harry, not a chance they just don't fit together; Elaine and Harry, no way, the others, definitely not.

Susan and Harry had that one spark that was always there, they really meshed together well and now this happened. He had asked her to marry him and they had a daughter together and I am so upset to see this happen. This book actually made me cry which is hard for any book to do.

Bring them together again, come on, Jim, don't let us down here!! I really don't want to read anymore books without the hope that They will one day get married, there are plenty of books left unwritten to be able to achieve that! *sighs*

2.0 out of 5 stars What on earth???, 27 April 2010
Mrs. E. Green - See all my reviews
I have always loved Dresden, have read every book, own every book and await the release of the newest with almost sweaty anticipation. I ordered this book the minute it was released and pounced on the delivery man when it arrived.
I need not have bothered.
While the opening takes your breath away and the surface story is pretty decent, it is not a patch on the others in the series. I won't ruin the ending for people who are still reading this but prepare to be confused and disappointed. If the rumours that this is indeed the last in the series are true then what a truely diabolical and lazy way to end the best supernatural series of this century.
Who/what/why is the Black Council?
Where did all these sudden family ties come from?
We finally hear from Mouse (and honestly, who doesn't want a Mouse) and he is brilliant, laugh out loud funny but he says some fairly cryptic things that are then just subtly brushed under the carpet and never mentioned again. Arrrgh!
While worth reading,if you have followed Dresden from the start, this is the written version of "Lost" - raises more questions than it answers and leaves you frustrated and bewildered wondering if you have wasted your time following the series from the start.

Changes: The Dresden Files
Changes: The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (Paperback - 3 Mar 2011)