4.0 out of 5 stars Damn you Butcher!!!
Oh man was I ready to give this book a slating.

Published on 28 April 2010 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I have for many years been a big fan of Jim Butcher and his books, and have always enjoyed his books and his world filled with suspense, humor and excellent character descriptions.
Reading his latest book in the Harry Dresden series i must admit that i am very disappointed: I am left with a feeling of silliness and vaguely annoyance, a great world and character is...
Published on 13 Sept. 2011 by Jim

4.0 out of 5 stars Damn you Butcher!!!, 28 April 2010
Oh man was I ready to give this book a slating.

I've read all the Dresden books. I've seen the characters develop, relationships become more and more complex and an entire world taking shape. Then, meh. 3 star books that I enjoyed but didn't necessarily improve on anything.Over the past few releases, I felt the books were becoming tired and stale. Dresden is now becoming an undefeatable superhero who faces the giant, evil henchman around the middle of the book, nearly gets killed, then comes good as the final quarter is reached. Over the past few releases. Plot threads seemed to drift ever onwards with minimal reservation. Dialogue became too familiar, repetitive and unlikely.

In many ways this book suffers that same fate - at least the first part of it does. It seems to amble through very familiar (albeit likeable) territory.

Butcher was losing interest it seemed.

Then the ending. The last 60 pages.

Jeez he packs stuff in doesn't he? Butcher - whilst never purporting to be the most sure of writers - is an intricate plotter. What he lacks in prose (which isn't a slight but more an observation on his casual style) knows exactly where this series is heading.

And then the final page - almost a Deus ex Machina moment insofar as you can't see THAT coming.

Now I can't wait for the next one and it's a year away.

I'm not getting any younger and if something happens to me in the next 12 months, I know who's getting my death curse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow....., 24 Dec. 2010
M. Yon - See all my reviews
OK. I realise now that it has taken me five years to get to this point, and for the series itself, ten. And it's been an interesting and entertaining journey for me. But here is, as the title would suggest, where everything changes. This is the Dresden equivalent of Holmes and Moriarty at the Reichenbach Falls, or of the Battle of Minas Tirith.

Here things really become different. This is one where Jim rips up what has gone before, and makes, in many ways, a fresh start. Many of our reference points are removed here, leaving a feeling that this book really does change things about.

Having said that, there are some things that don't change. The series, as I've noted before, has a reputation of starting with a bang. Turn Coat did, but this one is a new shock.

"I answered the phone, no big deal, until I heard the message: 'They've taken our daughter.'"

The phone call is from Susan Rodriguez, his ex-girlfriend who was turned into a vampire by the Red Court back in Book Five, Death Masks. He is told about something he didn't know - he has a daughter, Maggie, kept in secret from Harry for her protection. And that Arianna Ortega, Duchess of the Red Court, has found out, kidnapped her and plans to use Maggie against Harry as revenge for the death of her husband, an action precipitated by Harry.

Over the next three days Harry's task, with Susan and half-vampire Martin, is to find his daughter and save her from the evil vampires. Whilst she initiates the kidnapping, Queen Arianna also manoeuvres towards a proposed peace settlement between the Red Court and the Wizards: something that would be greatly desired by the Council. Thus given a choice of saving Harry's daughter or ending the war, the Wizard's actions seem restricted - exactly Arianna's point. The actions are further limited when a serious and mysterious illness dehabilitates many of the Council who remain at the Council Centre in Edinburgh.

Further help is denied when newly appointed Gregori Cristos (in Turn Coat) has many of the Senior Wardens arrested, including Captain Anastasia Luccio, who was involved with Harry in Turn Coat. Harry is pretty much on his own here, with only his closest friends to help. Them and Queen Mab, who for reasons of her own is enlisted to help in a pact made with Harry.

To do that, Harry has to pay back some old debts, all at a cost. He also uncovers secrets and makes serious sacrifices that will affect him, and those around him, forever.

So: we finally see a resolution of sorts of the Vampire Wizard War, though perhaps not the way it what was expected to be initially. I must admit, considering that Susan is now a half-vampire why the Court hasn't considered using her against Harry before, particularly if they are as ruthless as we are led to believe. However she has kept Maggie a secret from Harry (and everyone else) for that reason, though I'm not sure it would be that easy to do.

In terms of overall plot development, the arrival of Maggie now means that we're into what I jokingly referred to as Dresden: the Next Generation in an earlier review, though this is not developed here. However some of our regulars do have their star moments - the training of Molly as an apprentice finally comes to fruition, Mouse has an interesting development and Karrin excels herself as a friend of Harry.

There are some new elements. We have some new characters: Esteban and Esmeralda Bastiste, collectively known as `the Ebs', are sent as hired assassins to kill Harry. Though rather deranged, I did think they were a little bit underwhelming.

Less disappointing was the fact that, as you might expect from previous Dresden's, Jim does do epic battles well. Here there is an epic battle at Chichen Itza, where Maggie is to be sacrificed, between Harry and his friends and the might of the Red Court. We discover that Arianna's aim is to sacrifice Maggie in a blood ritual which would release a death curse which would travel up the family tree from the sacrificial victim to all her siblings, then to her parents, then to all their siblings (like Harry's half brother, Thomas), to the grandparents, to the grandparent's siblings, ad infinitum.

What works best here is that the book has jaw-dropping moment after jaw-dropping moment. We have the appearance of an ancient God, the emergence of the Red King, and Harry visits the domain of the ErlKing. Most importantly, here's where a lot of those plot lines previously told comes together: Harry's past, Harry's responsibilities, the Vampire-Wizard War, Harry's friendships.

And just when you think the tale's been wrung out as much as it can, the ending is a stunner, which, in a page, changes things again.

In summary, those readers who have made the journey, as I have, to this point are going to be shocked and horrified by some of the things that happen here. There are characters that come to the fore and unexpected betrayals. This book is life-changing for Harry and many of the key characters we have got to know, in both positive and negative ways.

This, for me, puts Harry above the genre competition by a mile. If I may have felt that there were previous books that treaded water a little in places, this one definitely doesn't. This is where everything that has gone before counts and for the reader makes what happens here have an emotional punch that makes reading all the books up to this point pay off. Big time.

The thirteenth novel, I understand, will be called Ghost Story and is due out March 2011 (though we have short story collection, Side Jobs, already out in the US and due later this year in the UK.)

I can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another turning point in the life of Harry Dresden, 24 April 2010
This review is from: Changes (Dresden Files) (Audio CD)
Harry Dresden, over the span of the series (much beloved by me from its very start, for who can resist the gruff, self-deprecating humor of Chicago's only practising wizard - no love-potions!- and his plethora of assorted friends and foes?) has come a long way. In the beginning, we had this cock-sure P.I. with a dark past and a chip on his shoulder the size of Texas...but events and heartache and the influence of his trusted circle of friends have helped him cope and stay sane.

Now, author Jim Butcher has his main character come full circle, mainly in the form of Susan Rodriguez, half-vampire, full guerilla. "They have our daughter."

"They" being the Red Court, a background story on the sidelines for some time now while Harry dealt with conspiracies, Denarians, family (mainly Thomas) and wizard-only stuff.

This revelation sets off a story that never allows for a breath of relief, only a sip of cold water, then the race is on again.

Characters and stabilizing influences from the previous books (and it's a bittersweet joy to see how the development/radical shifts in the past two books sets the scene for this one) are not present, Jim Butcher makes sure, in a credible way, that Harry is on his own, and there's hardly anyone who he can call on in his rage and despair. Emotions and inner turmoil rule this novel, the Harry who had been so happy about *finally* being a little more Zen...gone. He'll stop at nothing, politics be damned, calls in old debts, browses his Demon Green Pages, and even pitches in, after being denied help from other sources, with Johnny Marcone and the CEO of Monoc Security, aka Sigrun's dad, aka Odin, before his daughter is used in a ritual of blood-magic of devestating proportions!

After this, nothing remains the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know whether to laugh or cry., 14 May 2010
I'm not going to cover the ground that everyone else has covered. I'm simply going to add that this book was fantastic, if a little bit rushed, and whilst it's a sign that there's plenty more to come, the year long wait seems almost interminable... Particularly as I bought and finished the book yesterday, despite a busy medical degree. Need I say any more to those casual shoppers who are reading this and haven't already been convinced to read the series?

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is amazing!!!, 12 May 2010
Mr. R. Young - See all my reviews
I've been a massive fan of Jim Butcher ever since I first discovered the Dresden Files just after the tv show first came out, and I have loved each and every one of his books. The latest book is the best one so far, something that i've said after each book, I honesly could not put this down - and I couldnt afford to do this when I should have been working on my degree! (Which is in creative writing so i should know what makes a good book by now... "Should" being the word...)
This book is truly excellent, with all of the twists and turns we've come to expect from Jim Butcher by now but these are all the more effective as we've come to love the characters over the last 13 books or so. Unmissable, though i would advise you familiarise yourself with the series if you want to get the full effect before reading this book.
The best book so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story but not perfect..., 30 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Changes: The Dresden Files: 12 (Paperback)
I seem to have flown through the last six or so books in The Dresden Files in the past year they're that addictive. This one follows on nicely from Turn Coat and all the fallout from that story is still prevalent in Changes.

In a lot of ways, Changes is fairly predictable. You largely know how its going to play out and what choices Harry is going to make along the way. That doesn't make it any less fun to read. There's some nice resolutions to a few small plot threads that have been lingering for a while (some frustratingly so!) with Murphy getting her fair share of time in this one. I'd have liked to have seen The Alphas in there somewhere but their absence is neatly explained in the short novella epilogue in the Side Jobs book.

There's similarly resolutions to some of the major plot points in the series, though there's already signs of some serious repercussions to come, hinted at in the last couple of chapters and backed up by the Side Jobs epilogue.

If I've sounded very positive so far and you're wondering why only 4 out of 5, its largely down to a single plot point that so far as I can tell was never explained and I sort of get the feeling that maybe the story had been written one way (which would make sense with how the main story is resolved) and then amended later leaving a stray plot point somewhere in the middle of the book (I'll refer you to the hitman who tries to take a shot at Harry in the church and who he says he was hired by).

Overall though, thoroughly enjoyable. Sort of curious about how the series will progress from here!

One final note. Do not, whatever you do, read the synopsis for Ghost Story (the subsequent book in the series) before you've read Changes. Unfortunately, I did as I was trying to work out which one was Book 12 of series and it literally ruined the last 2 pages of Changes for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Messy Progression, 30 May 2010
C. Green "happily low brow" (Quenington, Glos, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Since the first novel in the series, Storm Front (Dresden Case Files), the Dresden Files have gone from being relatively straight forward supernatural detective stories to far more epic, fantasy adventures. Harry Dresden, his friends, enemies and the worlds they inhabit have developed with every book. Complex subplots and back stories, some spanning multiple novels, have grown out of events on and off the page. The Black Council, the war between the Red Court and the White Council, Queen Mab's pursuit of Harry, Harry's relationship with Susan, Harry's relationship with Murphy; these subplots and many others have continued, unresolved, in some cases since the very beginning.

With Changes, as the title would suggest, Jim Butcher seems intent on finally wrapping up of few of this myriad of plot threads. Not all of them; there are still plenty of ongoing mysteries left over at the end of the book, but Changes purpose is definitely to thin the herd. In my opinion this is no bad thing. After so many books introducing so many stories that were left wholly or partially unresolved Harry's adventures had threatened at times to drown in their own complexity. Tying up some of the loose ends would allow the books to regain some of the focus and streamlining that had been so appealing in the early Dresden adventures.

Unfortunately it would appear that Jim Butcher couldn't come up with endings for the subplots that would fill an entire book by themselves. Its not that there is anything wrong with the any of the resolutions he has come up with, simply that they could easily be told in the space of 100 pages without sacrificing anything, rather than the 400 of the average Dresden File. In order to make up the difference therefore, the author has to resort to including quite a lot of padding.

The result is a book that feels messy and flabby compared to the intricate plotting of previous Dresden Files. During the first three quarters of the book there are too many extraneous scenes that fail to add anything to proceedings. I'm thinking specifically of the fight against the giant centipede, the attack on Detective Rudolph's House and the attack on the FBI Building. All three are exciting and action packed but also completely unnecessary and they fail to really move the story forward. Its as if the author is throwing action sequences at the reader in an attempt to disguise how thin the main plot actually is.

All this means that the first two thirds of Changes doesn't grip the attention quite as well as previous Dresden novels. There are some nice elements in amongst the meandering storylines, including some significant & permanent changes to Harry's living quarters and transportation arrangements and the introduction of some new and probably recurring characters (Agent Tilly shows particular promise), but welcome as these developments are they don't make up for the lack of narrative drive.

Then suddenly, around Chapter 38, the book suddenly becomes far more focused, things start moving a lot more rapidly and the quality level rises appreciably. The final 100+ pages, although OTT in places, are a tour-de-force as different stories intersect, are resolved and questions are answered. Its all done with real pace and verve and the book suddenly becomes un-put-down-able. Its classic Dresden, will delight fans who have waited years for some stories to resolve themselves and elevates the book from a humdrum three stars to a solid four.

Then comes the ending, which will infuriate those who hate cliffhangers and delight those who do. Personally I didn't mind it. I'm so used to Jim Butcher leaving plot threads unresolved at the end of past adventures that such an open ending, even though it comes out of nowhere, seems quite normal. I'm also sure that the next volume of the Dresden Files will resolve it quite satisfactorilly.

I'm looking forward to that next adventure. By shaking up the Dresden-verse in so many ways with Changes Jim Butcher has given himself the opportunity to refresh the series. He can give more focus to other longstanding plot strands and take characters off in new and unexpected directions. He has new characters and settings to create and develop. It makes what comes next feel unpredictable and exciting. Its just a pity that he took such such a messy route to get there.

5.0 out of 5 stars What now for Harry Dresden - Wizard?, 3 July 2010
I was really lucky when I discovered the Dresden series, White Night had just been released into paperback and I was able to read them all from Storm Front through to White Night virtually back to back... (including the novelette which was more about Thomas and also the prequel to Storm Front) So for me therefore it wasn't a question of would Harry survive? More - how did he survive? As I knew he made it to the next book..

After White Night however, like all other fans - I then had to wait impatiently for each new book to come through in hardback to see what happened next..

Changes.. Parenthood changes you without a doubt and the gentleman that is Harry (opens doors, holds coats for ladies - even if it does drive Murphy mad and rescues damsels in distress) is about to be suddenly hit full on with the lengths that he would go to as a parent to keep his child safe.. No matter what the cost.

In Macs pub, there are 13 tables, 13 bar stools, 13 carved pillars and 13 ceiling fans.. The question is though - will Harry make it beyond book 13 (I count 12 + the prequel) or is the cost this time just too high for Harry Dresden - Wizard to pay..?

I really enjoyed this book and I've easily fallen in love with the books as a series. I have a suspicion and my own thoughts for the last handful of pages in the book Changes on who, what, why and when.. but you'll have to read them yourself and make your own decisions.

Claralisa

4.0 out of 5 stars Not easy to put down, 10 May 2010
Ray G (North Yorks) - See all my reviews
Like the other reviewers, I've read the other books in the series. Whilst agreeing that some of the plots are predictable (thats what keeps us coming back), this is the darkest book in the series, along with the saddest. Saying that, the humour is very good, even if Mouse does act like the grown-up of the dastardly pair more often than not. This book is either an excellent ending to the current books or a new beginning, depending on Mr Butcher's offerings next year. Me, I'm just glad that the series is continuing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but not the best, 29 April 2010
This book was excellent, as i have found everything jim butcher has ever written to be, but i think not his best book. The writing seems a little rushed, lacking some of the subtle tension that the other books had, and is also a little predictable, some of the solutions that Harry came up with were easily foreseen. It also makes use of a cliffhanger at the end, the first of the series, normally Butcher leaves subtle questions at the end which leave you satisfied but thirsty for more, the ending of this book does not satisfy and seems a bit unfinished. This book is also one of the only ones in the series that cannot stand on its own, it concentrates too much on previous books but that cannot be helped as it seems that Butcher is winding up the story. In all, an excellent read, a definite page turner and the series is my favorite of all time, Butcher is a fantasy master and I would recommend the series to anyone but this particular book, however, is not my favorite of the series.

Changes: The Dresden Files: 12
Changes: The Dresden Files: 12 by Jim Butcher (Paperback - 3 Mar. 2011)