5.0 out of 5 stars Being summoned was never more fun
The Summoning is an excellent addition to the Kelley Armstrong powerhouse and fans will not be disappointed. I finished the book in almost a single sitting and had to be prised from the house to go to the shops or would have spent all day in the chair. How much bigger a recommendation can I give you?

Chloe is a disturbed and at times disturbing teenager who...
Published on 1 July 2008 by Kilo Cameron

3.0 out of 5 stars Too slow paced
THE SUMMONING is the first book by Armstrong that I have read. Looking at the synopsis and reading reviews on Amazon.com, I thought I was going to be in for a treat. Unfortunately, I found it to be a disappointment.

Published on 16 Aug 2008 by Brida

5.0 out of 5 stars Being summoned was never more fun, 1 July 2008
This review is from: The Summoning: Number 1 in series: 1/3 (Darkest Powers) (Paperback)

Chloe is a disturbed and at times disturbing teenager who often seems older than her years yet retains an innocence that makes her absolutely charming. This is her story and boy does it herald an excellent series if the opening is anything to go by.

Buy this book and enjoy that 'star in the sky' moment that heralds another great series to be anticipated and enjoyed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to the Otherworld series, 2 July 2008
Joanne K. Pilsworth (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Initially, the story of Chloe Saunders unfolds as that of a teenager with the ability to see ghosts. Having read all the other Otherworld books, I did wonder initially how this book fitted in with the others.

At the same time, I was thinking that various incidents pointed to similarities with well-known characters from the other books. Were some of these kids half-demons? Then Chloe is introduced to the word 'necromancer', and the story snowballs from there.

As with all her other books, this one is well-written, with a good plot. Certainly, I did not guess who the 'bad guy' would actually turn out to be, and I won't ruin the story by spilling that little gem of information.

Can't wait for the other two books in this trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The younger years of the `Women Of The Otherworld' characters., 11 July 2008
AyJay (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've read & loved every book Kelley Armstrong has wrote to date, so naturally I had to have her first young adult novel as well. It's a great book for adult fans to get a glimpse into how the younger years of `Women Of The Otherworld' characters might have been. I especially love the character Jamie Vegas, so needless to say, I love this.

15 year old Chloe Saunders wakes up one day & starts to see dead people. Yep, just like that. Of course, everyone thinks she's nuts, so she's sent to `recover from her breakdown' at Lyle House, a home for mentally disturbed teens. She's soon diagnosed as a schizophrenic, but we know better. She is a necromancer.
Soon it becomes clear that the other patients aren't what they seem either... What's going on with Lyle House?

`Young adult novel'. That phrase did make me nervous. I was half expecting to read about Daddy issues, the latest fashion & cute boys, but I can thankfully confirm that isn't the case here. Chloe - the narrator - is not spoiled, whiny or controlled by her hormones. When she is in arguments she think about how she's coming across before answering, she doesn't avenge someone when she has cause to & she says boys are low on her list of concerns. She doesn't make my blood pressure shoot up to a dangerous level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabtastic :), 27 July 2009
I picked this book up at my local bookstore and don't regret it! This is the first I've read of Armstrong's work and I'm now a fan. Her writing style flows and is clear and in a way very to the point-no page long descriptions on the appearance of a room, although there's still description. I'd reccomend this book to teenage girls and think the reason some are giving it low review is because they've read her adult novels and have decided to read this without baring in mind it's for YOUNG ADULTS. As a young adult (14 year old girl) I'd recommend this to anyone my age :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Too slow paced, 16 Aug 2008
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

THE SUMMONING is about Chloe Saunders, a teenage girl who begins seeing ghosts. When she is chased by a badly burnt janitor through her school, her fear causes her to thrash out at her teachers. The violence and Chloe's insistence that there is a man there which they cannot see, result in her being taken off to a hospital before ending up in Lyle House, a home for mentally disturbed children.
Within her first couple of days there, Chloe is diagnosed by the staff as having schizophrenia. But Chloe is unsure that this correct - is she ill or are her visions for real? And as Chloe spends more time at Lyle House, she begins to suspect that the home is not all that it seems.

That is the basic plot. Sounds impressive. Armstrong's writing is quite good - the way that she discusses mental illness and being 'normal' is convincing; it throws up areas of debate and consideration. However, as I got further into this book, I felt as though the writing lacked any true suspense or driving force. The pace seemed incredibly slow, to me, with very little really happening upto well into pages 200+. Also, the repetitive way that Armstrong had other characters, especially a boy called Derek, suddenly appear from seemingly nowhere got very infuriating. It made the novel seem lazy to me, which is a shame.

Although I know that Armstrong has written books for adults, I will not be choosing to read them following this. Even as a YA book, THE SUMMONING was left under-par by my standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Armstrong writes brilliantly. Again, 6 Aug 2012
I've been a fan of Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series for a while, and whilst I have enjoyed it I have often wondered what it must be like for the young supernaturals growing up and coming into their powers. And this shows me just that.

The book centres around Chloe, who one day at school is chased by the ghost of a school janitor whose face just happens to be melting off. Naturally Chloe is freaked and tries to run away. This ends up in a struggle with some teachers who obviously think she's gone crazy and a trip to the hospital. When Chloe wakes up she is told she needs to go to a group home for observation before she will be allowed back in school due to her violent outburst. So off to Lyle House she goes.

Once there Chloe finds out from another teen with 'mental issues' that she is in fact a necromancer, and that other supernaturals exist. Soon they discover things are not what they seem at Lyle house.

This book has it all in the way of supernaturals, a necromancer, werewolf, sorcery and a possible fire demon.. and along with that you have those who would want to stop them. After all, Supernaturals are always in danger.

I have put off reading this series for a while now, and i had in fact forgotten I had it until a friend reminded me. Having finished the first book I honestly cant believe I waited so long to read it. Logging off now to go read the second instalment The Awakening

4.0 out of 5 stars I have fallen in love with another Kelley Armstrong Series!, 24 Nov 2011
Marie Malyon "Rie Reviews" (England) - See all my reviews
I have been wanting to read the Darkest Powers trilogy for a while now, and after downloading the first chapter onto my Kindle and giving it a quick read, I made the investment to my sanity by downloading all three at once. I know how difficult it can be to wait for new books to be released in a series so I thought I would just bite the bullet and buy them all, and I am so glad I did!

With a much younger protagonist than the books of the Women of the Otherworld series, I had my reservations if I would enjoy it as much. But they were defiantly not founded. Armstrong has a talent for creating well rounded characters, and this was no exception. It encapsulates a confused teenage mind in such a well articulated way it was a pleasure to read.

At times I did find myself guessing what made each character unique within the book, and 99% of the time my guesses were correct. Without giving too much away, Armstrong is a fantasy writer and she doesn't fail to provide that familiar supernatural flair.

This book really does get better towards the middle, the first half can be a little tedious with Chloe, the protagonist, explaining her predicament and her surroundings. Yet as I always, after a few too many late nights thanks to not being able to prise my Kindle from my hands, the book came to a gob-smacking conclusion.

I want to be able to say I saw it coming, and it was predictable, but to be honest it was a really nice surprise ending.

Rie xx

Read the full review here: <...>

5.0 out of 5 stars The Summoning, 18 Oct 2011
From the moment I picked this booked up I was hooked. It is descriptive, fascinating, holds the reader captivated and I cannot wait to read the remaining books in the trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars YA series from my favourite author, 8 July 2011
So this is actually a re-read and I'm slightly biased since I love Kelley Armstrong's writing. This is the first in her YA trilogy, Darkest Powers. We meet Chloe and the other Lyle House inmates and we learn why they're all there.

The friendships that are made are interesting. Right off, you're routing for the underdog since they're all kind of underdogs and, as is usual for me with Kelley's books, you get sucked in and don't want to put the books down. Luckily, since it's a YA it's a nice quick read and easily done in one sitting.

The story is a nice intro to the trilogy and by the end you're dying to read the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 10 Jun 2011
Chloe Saunders life changes from one second to another when she sees a ghost at her high school and get's a panic attack because of it. Because of this incident Chloe is sent to Lyle House, a special home for troubled teens, where she is told that she has schizophrenia. But Chloe soon begins to question the diagnosis because weird things are going on in Lyle House. She realizes that all of the teens there are special in a supernatural way and that the adults that work at Lyle House can't be trusted.
Will Chloe be able to discover what's going on with her and will she be able to get out of Lyle House before it's too late?

I bought "The Summoning" spontaneously when I saw a good deal for it at a bookstore and it was the first book I ever read by Kelley Armstrong. Before starting the book I didn't know a lot about the story and expected a light-hearted book with some paranormal elements - I couldn't have been more wrong.
The book has paranormal elements but it's definitely not light-hearted. The longer I read the darker and more complicated the story got, towards the end I wasn't sure whom Chloe could trust and what would happen with her. However I was definitely not disappointed that the story was different from what I expected. In contrary, I loved the story, the characters and even the cliffhanger at the end of the book.

I enjoyed everything I learned of Chloe. Reading about her struggle with the new developments in her life was fascinating and I admired that she never gave up. She is intelligent, quiet and all in all a pretty normal teenager. She cares about what happens to others and I can't wait to learn more about her, her abilities and her future.
I also enjoyed that even though there is the possibility of a relationship between a boy and Chloe, that's not the main focus of the story. This relationship will have more time to develop slowly in the next two books and that's something I like.
At the end of "The Summoning" it's unclear what Lyle House really is and the reader can only speculate about what happened there in the past. But one thing is sure, if a teenager doesn't act as he /she is supposed to, then it can end deadly.
The book ends with a cliffhanger and even though I normally hate these, this time it fit to the story and I'm excited to learn what will happen next. I will definitely go on with reading this mesmerizing series, Kelley Armstrong has a new fan.

cover
I like the cover, it's pretty and looks a bit mysterious.

final appraisal
Kelley Armstrong has created a thrilling story that makes me want to read the two other books in the Darkest Powers series as soon as possible. Don't expect a light paranormal story, get ready to be amazed by a dark, complicated world.
I would recommend this book to all readers (adult and young adult) who enjoy stories with paranormal elements.

Darkest Powers series
1. The Summoning (2008)
2. The Awakening (2009)
3. The Reckoning (2010)

The Summoning: Number 1 in series: 1/3 (Darkest Powers)
The Summoning: Number 1 in series: 1/3 (Darkest Powers) by Kelley Armstrong (Paperback - 3 July 2008)
5.79
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available