5.0 out of 5 stars Third in the Mercy Thompson Series, 21 Jan 2008
Iron Kissed has two main plotlines. The first deals with Mercy having to make a choice between the two men in her (love)life. Adam - the Alpha of the local werewolf pack, and Sam her childhood sweetheart (also an Alpha). It's a decision she needs to make soon, before there's bloodshed.

The second plot is the mystery of the book. Several Fae have been murdered out at the Fae reservation and Zee (her old boss) takes Mercy there, to see if her 'coyote' nose can track the murderer. Although it initially seems like everything is resolved, Zee ends up being charged with murder and Mercy feels it's up to her to prove his innocence. Whether he wants her help or not.

Although I don't think it's essential to have read the previous books in the series to follow Iron Kissed. You'd be missing out on two great stories if you didn't read Moon Called (Bk1) and Blood Bound (Bk2). Plus the build up to the Adam/Mercy/Samuel plotline and a lot of the background as to how the Mercy Thompson Universe works and the relationship/family set ups of the various species groups is in those books.

One thing I very much enjoy about the series is how in each book we learn more about the characters and their relationships. One of my favourite things is how the dynamics of the werewolf pack is explored. The scene between Ben and Adam at the end was one of the most powerful in the book, especially when Ben is having trouble expressing himself.

"It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."

For me this quote is at the heart of the book. In a way this has been Mercy's attitude since we first met her in Moon Called, and probably has a lot to do with growing up as a coyote in a werewolf pack. It's a very easy thing to say when you have no way of knowing what the consequences of your actions will be.

Some of Iron Kissed is very difficult to read. Patricia Briggs doesn't pull back, her characters have to deal with the consequences of their actions. There are no get out clauses here. Sometimes there isn't an easy solution and it isn't always easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. Especially when the person you have to forgive is yourself.

The temptation to skip ahead when reading this book to see where the story is going, is almost overwhelming. It's a story that once you start reading you can't stop. The Mercy Thompson series gets better with every book and in my opinion it's one of the best urban fantasy series around at the moment. If you love urban fantasy and you aren't reading the Mercy Thompson series, then I really think you should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read but darker, 19 Aug 2008
This review is from: Iron Kissed: Mercy Thompson, book 3 (Mass Market Paperback)
Following on from the previous Blood books this one seems to conclude Mercedes' relationships, but at an awful price. I don;t really like revealing plots becasue its a real spoiler, so instead let me assure you that the standard of writing is as good as in the other books in the series. Tehy also included somewhat serious themes but this one was in places harrowing to read if you have empathy for the heroine! I suppose this is what separates Briggs form other, softer writers who dabble in the genre - she is a genuine fantasy writer, and its just coincided that everybody now is writing werewolf/ghost/paranormal romance stuff, a lot of which frankly seems to be utter schematic tosh. This book shows that she can write the real deal, which is quite affecting. I mean that I genuinely was surprised by where the plot went, and how it got there. Anyway, this is a really good conclusion to the series! The standard was as high as always and I look forward to her future offerings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb read!!!, 24 Feb 2008
I can't really say much more than the other readers....this book blew me away. This series just gets better and better and I have to say it is one of the best urban fiction around...if you haven't started it, then get going, you won't be disappointed.

The last quarter of this book was so powerful..we have some master story telling here. I was on the edge of my seat! I can't say anymore without giving too much away...just...read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps getting better!, 7 July 2009
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
Mercy is spending a relaxing evening with her friend (and werewolf) Warren and his boyfriend Kyle watching a movie, when she gets a call from her former boss and mentor Zee. He's fae and he needs her nose to sniff out a killer in the fae reservation. Taking Mercy in there isn't all that safe for her, but she agrees to help and soon enough picks up the trail.

But before the killer can be taken care of quietly, someone beats the fae to it, and Zee finds himself behind bars and accused of the murder. A murder too violent for human hands. One Mercy is convinced Zee didn't commit and she's determined to prove it. Not an easy job though. The Grey Lords (rulers of the fae) don't like outside help and they're very dangerous people to deal with. And all the while she's having to fight with her heart of the men in her life, Adam or Samuel. She can't keep bouncing between the two dominant wolves or things are going to get messy.

Iron Kissed is a fantastic follow up to the first two books in the Mercy series, Moon Called and Blood Bound, and the series just keeps getting better. As with Blood Bound, there is a very good balance between the romance and the main plot, even though there is more romance in this than the previous book.

Where the previous book taught us a lot about vampires in Ms. Briggs' world, here we're shown the fae world and get a deeper look at the pack and how it functions again. The extensive world built is engaging and well thought out. There aren't extras added on all the time, just Mercy discovering more of it. And Ms. Briggs doesn't pull any punches. It gets nasty at the end and the killer is revealed. And the conversations near the end, particularly between Ben and Adam, show real sensitivity and strength, and the depth of Ms. Briggs' talent. Little bit of a cliff hanger than left me hungry for much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, moving, thrilling and fabulous!, 1 Sep 2008
Rachel "rachel337" (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I love this series for its fabulous and very clever plots as much as for the super-nature of the subject material. with this new instalment in the Mercy Thompson series, Patricia Briggs excells herself. This book is a must-read for any fan of the genre and for me this hits the hights of the first few Anita Blakes and at points, exceedes them.

The crime at the centre is well plotted and has enough clues to keep you guessing but not solving until close to the end; characters are believeable, complex and interesting and the finale....what can I say...previous reviews are right- make no mistake this is not easy reading. Violence on an exponential scale but told with such a human heart as to make you weep...and weep I did, for about the final 4 chapters...tears coursing down my face as the weight of choices made by Mercy and the attempts to come to terms with violence makes its presence felt.

I think this is where for me, this series is better than many others in the genre...Mercy may be supernatural but she is real, vulnerable and far from indestructable. This is, in my opinion, (withough giving too much away) in Ben's speech of the depiction of the clear body language of the animals the most understanding and compassionate view of exreme violence against women that I have ever read.

The other two books in the series, which must be read first, are fabulous reads of great quality. Iron Kissed is exceptional, through and through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best urban fantasy I've read so far, 5 Dec 2010
Werewolves are usually the underdogs in paranormal fantasy - they take a back seat to the vampires. It's wonderful to see that switched around. Unlike in many vampire-centric novels, where generally the Alpha is a brute with a few goons as his enforcers, the pack relationship is complex in the Mercy Thompson series. It incorporates many aspects of real wolf behaviour - Adam doesn't try to beat his pack into submission with physical force. Instead, he's a strong leader whom the pack trusts and wants to follow, the nuances of their behaviours toward one another. Mercy is a coyote surrounded by wolves, and it's intriguing to watch the drama between them - her love for Adam constantly at war with her desire for independence and the tenuousness of her belonging to the pack. Mercy is a very likeable and believable protagonist.

Patricia Briggs is a great author - a seasoned pro - and it shows in the writing.

Even if you don't consider yourself to be a werewolf fan, you need to read this series, because you will be afterwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Iron Kissed, 2 Jun 2010
AngelGoneMad "Naomi" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Iron Kissed is the third novel in the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. Mercy is one tough nut and it takes a lot to get her down but we see a different side to her in this story. This book is full of action and torment for Mercy, as she tries her hand at detective work and her heart is aching with a question she doesn't know the answer to.

Mercy has a tough time in this book as she faces creatures she has never come across in her walker life. She comes face to face with some fierce fae and they don't take to her very well. All those fairytales won't help you out much against these fae.

This series is one of my favourites. It's more focused on the plot than romance but we see the romance card is being used quite a few times in this book. To me there are three love rivals but we don't see the third at all in this book, makes me wonder where he has gone and if he will be back. The other two, Adam and Samuel, are at the fore front of Mercy's thoughts. She doesn't know who to choose though and continues to debates this throughout the book.

I think my favourite part of this book was at the very end after everything was over and done with (I don't want to give out details in case you haven't read the book/series yet) and Mercy was with a certain someone. It ends on a suggestive note that leaves you wondering what happens next.

I really didn't like reading the last few chapters. Something happens to Mercy and I found it hard to read because trying to imagine what Mercy had gone through was too horrific to even think about. I know it's most likely essential to the plot line but I can't see how yet, that will probably all pan out in the rest of the series. Or was it to show that Mercy can be weakened and that she isn't the super duper heroine we all think she is?

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I have liked the series as a whole so far. I would recommend this book/series for anyone that is a young adult upwards. I wonder what Mercy is going to get up to next in Bone Crossed will have to wait and see.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from the library. I am not paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent third book!, 12 April 2010
This one is actually one of my favorites of the series, much better than the first 2 books. I think this was the book when i realized that i am totally addicted to Mercy Thompson books...

This was much darker and quite painful to read in some parts but I love the fact that Briggs hasn't pulled back and instead had Mercy to actually be a victim. Which is something i find quite rare in most books when they always manage to get out of all kinds of situations and only slightly harmed and having someone else to safe them.

All i can say that i love this series and i wish it would never end!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story that keeps you gripped!, 21 Oct 2009
Pam Dhinsa "Book Girl" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I read this book in one day, and I think it is definitely the best in the series so far. In particular the more harrowing last part of the book was extremely well written and it shocked me, which is rare when most urban fantasy stories are usually written using the same old regurgitated plotlines. The only part of the book that really bugged me was when Mercy keeps describing herself as plain, I don't want to think of her as being plain, in my mind she's got to be stunning for all these guys to be fighting over her! I'm awaiting delivery of the next Mercy book and will hopefully enjoy it just as much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life is no Fairytale, 10 Aug 2009
Mercedes Thompson, mechanic and shapeshifter, lives in a world where the fae were forced to come out to the human population due to the advances in technology: making the secret nature of their species no longer possible. Thus the Gray Lords (the enigmatic leaders of the fae) decided it was time to come out to the humans -- along with the werewolves who revealed their existence recently. Vampires however, remain hidden in shadow fearing what would happen if their existence was discovered.

It's not long before a member of the fae community calls in a favour, needing Mercy's skills for a murder investigation -- Mercy obliges thinking there could be worse ways to pay off her debt to the fae. A number of fae had been murdered in their own homes, prompting Mercy to visit the aptly named fae reservation: Fairyland. A trip Underhill and unfortunately, Mercy is in a tight spot. She appears to know far too much about the fae upon her visit. Just when things couldn't get much worse Zee is landed as the fall guy and charged with murder of which he is innocent... leaving Mercy with no choice but to get her coyote nose into the faes' business. But the Gray Lord's are watching. Meanwhile, Warren tells Mercy that she must make a choice between Adam and Samuel once and for all. The pack is being weakened when a metaphysical void exists.

This book was fantastic, from start to finish. The pacing of the murder mystery was superb, and the story itself was dark, suspenseful, and cleverly written. The characters act rashly at certain points and have to face the consequences to their actions. Brigg's world may be filled with fantastical creatures, but life for Mercy is no fairytale. She suffers traumatically in this book. I was spoiled as to one or two events that happen in this book but that did not in any way lessen the impact of them -- certain things were more horrifying than I imagined. The horror and grief of the situation really came accross in the writing. I even cried a little at the scene at the end with Mercy, Ben and Adam. The writing was just heart wrenching and real and cut through the matter at hand. It can be difficult to really get to the truth of an issue but I felt as if that absolutely ocurred in that scene. I also really like Ben now; he's been developed nicely and in a believable manner.

Mercy's choice between Adam and Samuel was well resolved I thought, as well. It was nice not to be dragged out forever. Although, what with Stefan still out there, I have to wonder if it really is the end of the three sided love triangle in this series. I trust Briggs's vision and look forward to what happens in that area. I'm also excited for Stefan's return and the continuation of the vampire arc which was mentioned throughout 'Iron Kissed' but being left for the next book.

Learning more about fae was really interesting. The descriptions of Underhill were vivid and I'm looking forward to exploring the Gray Lord's in more depth, the small snippets of information about them in this book were very intriguing. I liked seeing more about Zee as well -- I hope we find out more about who he was back in the day at some point.

Overall, utterly enjoyable, emotional, and well written.

Iron Kissed: Mercy Thompson, book 3
Iron Kissed: Mercy Thompson, book 3 by Patricia Briggs (Mass Market Paperback - 7 Aug 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01