4.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch sad to see it end, 31 Jan 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Dead Body: A Joe Pitt Novel (Paperback)
The fifth and final novel in the Joe Pitt series and one that I was pretty sad to finish. As a huge fan of Charlie's Pitt series its been a real roller coaster of a ride and one that really goes to bring the best of Film Noir into the Urban Fantasy genre. What perhaps made this even harder to finish was the way that the novel really didn't feel like it lasted any time upon my commencement of the first page. That by the way can be construed as a good thing as Joe's writing really does hook you in and keep you there for a guaranteed late night. Whilst you could start your journey with Charlie here, you really will have missed out on a hell of a lot of back story as well as the chance to get to know Joe as well as many of the fans have. Personally, I'd advise you to start at the beginning as I did again for the full pleasure of series.

Well written with great character scope alongside growth and you're going to have a real treat with a Charlie Huston novel, plus any author that makes it a must have for a guilt free reread of a series prior to commencement of the final piece really does deserve the readers respect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Resolution time, 3 Sep 2010
I love this series!
Huston's writing picks you up and carries you along with it right to the end. in this book you get more of the same kinds of writing and convoluted relationships that you find in the previous Joe Pitt novels. I thought that the author was perhaps tying off all the endings a little too neatly - there is certainly nothing left hanging over for another novel - but I found the resolution of some of the story lines too contrived. That being said, there was no way I was not going to read this book, and i still enjoyed rooting for Joe to come out OK in the end. I think it is interesting how the author still manages to imbue the main character with some sense of humanity. Despite the terrible, violent things he does, you're still (probably) on his side, becasue Joe still somehow has a sense of morality that works in his world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great body of work, 13 Jan 2010
This review is from: My Dead Body: A Joe Pitt Novel (Paperback)
What to say , this is a great book , and a nice way to end this series, shame its over so soon , however sometimes its better not to have to much of a good thing .
For those of you who have just came across Joe Pitt , theres no point reading this book , go back to the start as you wont get a great deal of whats going on or why .
Joe is back after the revelations at the end of the last book , the war seems to be in full flow, Manhattan is at breaking point , and joe , slightly the worse for ware is back and is sent right back to the front lines of battle. Many of the story archs are dispatched deftly. the characters are all by this stage pretty well known and fleshed out. The story really generally follows on direclty from the last book, some aspects of it feel slightly rushed but on the whole really cant complain. I reckon this series would make a great set of Graphic novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best author of 21st Century, 11 Mar 2010
This review is from: My Dead Body: A Joe Pitt Novel (Paperback)
OK...so it's a vampire book. I don't read vampire books...but I do read Charlie Huston. I read everything he's written that I can lay my hands on. His style is unique. The quality of his writing is amazing. It doesn't matter what the theme of the novel is.....he makes other writers look totally second-rate. Read this man's work - you must!!

My Dead Body: A Joe Pitt Novel
My Dead Body: A Joe Pitt Novel by Charlie Huston (Paperback - 3 Dec 2009)
7.80