4.0 out of 5 stars I actually don't want to like these books...
...I bought the first one and thought, yeah that was ok so I ordered the second one. Sometimes she aggravates the heck out of me, and other times I am holding my breath wondering how she is going to get out of the mess she is in - whether it be action based, or something to do with Vayl!!

But I just kept thinking - I shouldn't like these books. But when I...
Published on 28 Sep 2008 by Skargasm

2.0 out of 5 stars I wish I didn't have to give this a less than good review.
As the title states, I really wish I didn't have to give this a bad review. I love the Jaz Parks books and 'Once Bitten, Twice Shy' and 'Another One Bites The Dust' were awesome. I loved them from beginning to end. However, 'Biting The Bullet' just didn't work for me.

Published on 8 Oct 2008 by Jessica Simpson

4.0 out of 5 stars I actually don't want to like these books..., 28 Sep 2008
This review is from: Biting The Bullet: Book three in the Jaz Parks sequence (Paperback)

But I just kept thinking - I shouldn't like these books. But when I finished the second one, and saw that the third was already out I ordered it straight away.

The story romps along - you learn more about Dave, Matt, Vayl. You laugh at Cassandra and Dave; cheer for the team members, and generally speaking get swept into the story.

And yes, I have put book 4 into my basket, even though there is part of me thinking 'why do I need to find out what happens to them!?!'

2.0 out of 5 stars I wish I didn't have to give this a less than good review., 8 Oct 2008

It seemed disjointed and lacked fluidity. I had to repeatedly put this book down out of absolute frustration. I just couldn't get into it at all.

Book 3 in the Jaz Parks series see's Jaz and Vayl on a mission to uncover a mole in her brothers military unit who is working for The Wizard. While many of the characters we meet in this book have been touched on previously, they do not come to life as you would expect them too. They are not engaging and downright irritating at times. Even Vayl goes off the deep end and has an out of character experience.

What I liked - The new roadblocks thrown in the way of Jaz and Vayl's very bumpy relationship. Where as previously things have been relatively rosy for them and the growing feelings they have for each other, this time it's not so easy.
What I disliked - The awkward plot which seemed messy and chaotic with no real direction.

There is no way I am giving up on this series though. For the avid Jaz Parks fan I would say it is worth the read as information pertinent to future books is, I'm sure, in this book. I will read the next in the series and I hope I will enjoy that book as much as I enjoyed the first two. I really wish I had liked this one as much.

4.0 out of 5 stars #3 in the Jaz Parks series..., 26 Sep 2009
Biting the Bullet finds Jaz and her vampire boss Vayl, undercover in Iran looking to take out a terrorist known as the Wizard. Vayl and Jaz are working with Jaz's brother Dave and his unit on this assignment, but unbeknownst to Dave there is a mole on his team feeding information back to the Wizard, and part of Jaz's mission is to take this mole out.

If you haven't read the previous books in the series (Once Bitten Twice Shy, Another One Bites the Dust) I'd recommend that you pick them up before starting this one.

I have to admit that unlike the previous two books in the series I didn't settle into this one straight away. It took until page 17. :) Whether or not you love this series will depend for a large part on whether or not you love the protagonist. Jaz can sometimes be a bit annoying, but what saves her (for me) is the fact that she has this incredibly snarky voice and that if you're willing to understand her point of view (and make allowances for when you don't) it's one hell of a ride. What stops her from becoming completely annoying as a character is that as the reader we have the luxury of seeing inside her head and knowing how insecure she is at times.

Along with the Wizard plotline, we have some previous plot threads tied up - we find out how Jaz's gun/crossbow came to be named. Also, to some extent the situation over Vayl's sons is dealt with (he's waiting for them to be reincarnated and whenever there's a possibility they may have turned up his priorities become skewed.)

If this book had a theme it would be - Nothing is as it seems. Jaz has to hide the fact that she knows there's a mole from her brother, Vayl conceals the fact he is still searching for his sons from Jaz - putting the mission in danger. Jaz takes a trip to Hell and has to come to terms with some of the things she sees there, though ultimately that journey will save them all.

The banter between the characters is as good as ever. And Jennifer Rardin has one of the best grips on how to write a believable vampire character. This is one series I don't see me giving up any time soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars worth a second read, 28 Dec 2013
I've read all the Jaz Parks series before but having read them again I find I've got more out of it and 'notice' bits in the story that I hadn't picked up on the first time round. Jaz is certainly one young lady it's best not to get on the wrong side of, she sure knows how to kick butt !

4.0 out of 5 stars Jaz Parks book 3, 24 April 2011
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Jaz and Vayl have a new mission, this time they are going to be working alongside Jaz's brother Dave's special ops team to bring down the Wizard, a terrorist who has been causing trouble for years. Alongside their primary goal they also have to find out who is the mole in Dave's team, someone has been feeding information to the Wizard and they have to find a way to stop them. It isn't going to be easy for Jaz to work alongside Dave given their history but can they put aside their differences long enough to track down the Wizard?

Biting the Bullet is the third book in the Jaz Parks series and I would recommend reading the series in order starting with Once Bitten, Twice Shy. This is a great urban fantasy series that is action packed and has some great characters so I'd definitely recommend giving it a try. This installment sees Jaz, Vayl, Cassandra, Cole & Bergman head to Iran to join with Dave's special ops team as they try to take down the Wizard and is a great addition to the series.

I really enjoyed getting to see more of Dave and his team. Although he has made brief appearances in the earlier books this has mainly been in the form of flashbacks so it was nice to get to "meet" him properly. If you've read the earlier books you'll fully understand how complicated the relationship between him and Jaz is and it was interesting to see them forced into working together. I'm hoping that we'll get to see more of him in the future books because Jaz really needs his help if she is ever going to deal with her very messy past and be able to move forwards with her life.

I also love watching the developing relationship between Jaz and Vayl. Although at times I'm almost screaming at them both to just get together already I actually really like the will they / won't they aspect of their relationship (although I'm definitely hoping that they'll get together sooner rather than later!). Things get quite complicated between them this time around when Vayl's attention is caught by someone else but this helps Jaz finally start to realise just how much he means to her. She has to face her past before she can be ready to move on but will she be able to do it before Vayl gets fed up of waiting for her?

As with the other books the action scenes are well written and make it easy to picture what is happening. There was a great twist when it came to who the mole was but I have to admit I had my suspicions before they were revealed - I hadn't worked it out long before Jaz did though. I'm definitely looking forward to reading the next book in the series and have already ordered my copy.

3.0 out of 5 stars there is something about this series that keeps me reading, 13 Nov 2010
Although there is something about this series that keeps me reading, I find it awkward. The constant flashbacks and tangents are extremely distracting, as is the vagueness of Jaz's powers which include some form of astral projection. The descriptions don't provide enough for me to properly visualize the action.
Also, the relationship between Jaz and Vayl seems based on tenuous circumstances. I don't quite understand the connection between them since Jaz seems so confused herself.
I didn't have as much of an issue with the last book, which tells me that I prefer these characters when they are battling tangible creatures on this plane of existence.
I still feel that Jaz and Vayl are somewhat flat characters, despite the first person voice and Vayl's obviously intense struggle with the loss of his boys. There's something about this series that just doesn't click for me, yet I keep holding out in the hope that answers are forthcoming.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jaz Parks Rocks Again, 4 Mar 2008
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The continuing exciting saga of Special Agent Jaz Parks who this time takes on the terror in the middle east. Action packed, choc full of bullets, action sequences and Jaz's most feared weapon that fires one liners quicker than Grief, her mouth.
Fun for readers of not only the Vampire genre, but also those who love a supernatural action tale, that's skilfully blended with a touch of the hat to those secret agent movies, from Our Man Flint to 007.
Whilst many would wonder how long this can continue before Jaz becomes a formulaic character its her development along with that of her specialist team that keeps these books so engaging as well as the blossoming will she, wont she question of her relationship with Vayl the master vampire assassin.
As addictive as the others in the series and something that really has to become something of a cult classic.

Biting The Bullet: Book three in the Jaz Parks sequence
Biting The Bullet: Book three in the Jaz Parks sequence by Jennifer Rardin (Paperback - 7 Feb 2008)
Usually dispatched within 9 to 13 days