4.0 out of 5 stars Moving the pieces into place
The Rogue is quite definitely a middle of a trilogy book. There's plenty of things happening, but not much that reaches a climax. The sub-plot involving the two female novices mentioned in the blurb anchors the Kyrallain part of the tale, with the larger aspects of the story orbiting around it. The novices are new characters, and interestingly done each showing a...
Published on 30 April 2011 by Andrew Riley

2.0 out of 5 stars I've read all of Trudi Canavan's book but this was a let down
If like me you have read all preceeding books you'll find this one lacking to the extreme. It was beyond predictable and has so much in common with The Black Magician trilogy which were extremely enjoyable to read as it was new take on this genre but now with this new trilogy i feel the magic and captivity that held my attention in all of the preceeding books including...
Published on 7 July 2011 by Ed

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book, but definitely a set up for book three., 29 July 2011
This review is from: The Rogue: Book 2 of the Traitor Spy (Hardcover)
As the title says, this book is really good. At least I think so. Trudi's world is well established, extremely believable, and her writing is as good as ever. There are multiple plot points which are both easy to follow and intriguing, you really want to find out what is going to happen next. My one down point was that I sort of guessed what was going to happen fairly early on, I do not know if everybody has had this same issue, but to me some things were too obvious.

Overall though, a really good book and a good set up to the final book in the trilogy, I just hope I don't have to wait too long to read that final book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing 'The Rogue', 2 July 2011
This review is from: The Rogue: Book 2 of the Traitor Spy (Hardcover)
While this book is good, as with all of Canavan's works (in my opinion), it seemed as if it was trying too hard, which I guess it had to, being the second in a trilogy. The story arcs represented this; they were more something that connects the first and last books, and although necessary, weren't all too exceptionally interesting. There is a side-plot involving a new character, and without spoiling things, this was a nice addition, which made the book much more lively than it would have been. On the downside, it didn't seem necessary, and the back story of the events that take place don't really make much sense. Either the magicians were lying to us about some of the presumed facts throughout the series, or these novices are seriously intelligent. Most of the story is based around Lorkin, with, as seems usual, some side plot from Dannyl, which is the norm for this series, and is pulled off nicely. All around an enjoyable read, but some plot holes and lack of revelations makes it not quite reach the top mark for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous! I want more!, 25 May 2011
This review is from: The Rogue: Book 2 of the Traitor Spy (Hardcover)
The second book in this trilogy is excellent. Having been left rather hungry after the first book and finding there was less story than the pages suggested, there is much more meat on the bones of this course. As always a new book bring new characters along with our old favorites. With a lot of the plot throughout the book it is reasonably predictable, but I found this did not remove any of the enjoyment away.

Unfortunately, as so often happens when reading a Trudi Canavan, I was gutted when I finished and couldn't help feeling like I didn't quite know what to do with my life. I find her characters really imprint themselves on me and when I stop reading I spend a few days missing these lost literary "friends".

Bravo! Roll on the next installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 7 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Rogue: Book 2 of the Traitor Spy (Hardcover)
I was waiting on this book coming out. i took into it and could not put it down. The relationships are sufficiently complicated and have their own twists and turns and there are links to the other books that make the story much more 'real'. I love the books and cannot fault it!! One of the best series i have read and the thrills just keep on coming! it has tonnes of magic and loads of plot which makes this one a real page turner, instead of just a middle filler book like some series.

EXCELLENT READ!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Fantasy Series, 17 May 2011
Ellie (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
I've read all the Magicians Guild series and the opening books in the Traitor Spy Trilogy, and I absolutely adored this latest book. I was itching to read it, and I wasn't disappointed at all when I did. Another great book from Trudi Canavan!

The novel and series are full of magic and mystery in a fantasy realm. In this book really I enjoyed the journey back to the Magicians and Theives guilds, with some favourite characters like Cery popping up along the way.

If you're new to the series, I'd recommend reading the first book in the Magicians series and following the series to this book in the later Traitor Spy series, or you won't get the full effect of this book. Just like most series, reading a middle book without reading the initial ones won't give you a great read. You could just read Book 1 in the Traitor Spy Trilogy, but I'd recommend starting at Book 1 in the Magicians Guild series and working your way to this book, for a full enjoyment of all the books.

If however you have already followed both series, and enjoyed them. Then you'll probably love this book too, it may cause you to shout, "I want to know what happens next!" at the end, but what series doesn't? It's a great book and I can't wait to find out what happens next!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 1 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Rogue: Book 2 of the Traitor Spy (Hardcover)
Even allowing for the fact that this book is the middle one of a trilogy, I didn't feel it needed to be quite so excuciatingly dull. I found myself turning the pages in order to get to the end rather than because I wanted to know what happened next - because nothing exciting was happening at all. The story line is predictable; the characters are wooden; the dialogue is mediocre; at times the command of English leaves a lot be to desired. Finally, why oh why are half the characters gay? Surely the 3 guys were enough without throwing in a couple of girls as well? If this added something to the novel, it completely eluded me.

1.0 out of 5 stars BORING!!!!!, 21 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Rogue: Book 2 of the Traitor Spy (Hardcover)
so glad I got this book from the library and didn't waste my hard earned cash buying it. so slow, so dull, 495 pages that could easily have been covered in 150. her annoying habit of jumping too quickly between story lines has gotten worse and character development was nill. barely anything happened and to be honest I'm not bothered when the 3rd book arrives. Hard to believe this is the same author who produced the 'Age of the Five' trilogy - such an amazing series, as well as the previous black magician books - all of which I own. writing for the sake of fulling the pages. such a pity. I see from the other reviews on the net I'm not the only person who felt she put more focus on the homosexual/ lesbian relationships rather than an actual storyline

3.0 out of 5 stars The Rogue : book 2 of the traitor spy, 13 July 2014
Just as you would expect with a middle book there is a lot of stories that are just starting to get put together and hopefully the third book will sort it all out, it's an OK read and now I have finished it I can understand why two of my favourite characters from the first three books had to be killed off otherwise the story that is in these books could not happen. Still not happy that that had to happen but understand the writers thinking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Trudi Canavan, 1 July 2014
Miss K. Harding "30 something geek gamer" (Coventry, West Midlands, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed the Black Magician Trilogy and the Traitor Spy Trilogy continues to be gripping in this instalment. Well worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice filler book, tying up loose ends, 12 Jun 2014
Warning may contain spoilers :(

The second book was a bit harsh on the reader, having three sub-plots which eventually concluded at the end, it was the in-between book which I thought it would be.

although the story was well continued from book 1, it had some nice action but it was a bit of a drag to read at times.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

The Rogue: Book 2 of the Traitor Spy
The Rogue: Book 2 of the Traitor Spy by Trudi Canavan (Hardcover - 5 May 2011)
17.99