5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing End to the Genesis of Shannara Trilogy
Published on 5 Sept. 2008 by Mr. I. P. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Brooks but some flaws.
Published on 4 July 2009 by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Brooks but some flaws., 4 July 2009
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Having been a fan of Terry's work for a number of years I've always wondered how the world evolved into the Shanarra that we've all fallen in love with. (Especially now that Elfstones is about to be released as a major motion picture.) So having enjoyed the previous two novels I really couldn't wait to see how he'd finish this part of the epic. It's written with Terry's usual punch, its also got lots of twists with a bedevilled quest for the heroes to complete. However, that said, the characters weren't as well defined, they felt like they'd taken a step back as if they'd become more wooden as opposed to growing to the roles into which they'd been thrust. A great shame to be honest as I expect more from an established author and felt a tad let down by this drop in attention. Its still a good series, its still several notches above other authors and the twists are going to wow as well as enthral the reader however that one flaw in the book really got to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing End to the Genesis of Shannara Trilogy, 5 Sept. 2008
This review is from: The Gypsy Morph: Genesis of Shannara Book Three (Hardcover)
In my humble opinion, this is the best trilogy that Terry has ever written, which is saying a lot, and the final book was wonderful, best of a great series. Superb character development and interaction, fabulous plot(s), amazing action, inventive story lines etc., etc. OK, you spotted that I am a die hard TB fan, but, even so, I was utterly enthralled with this final instalment. There will be no spoilers here, as you really do need to read this for yourself.

Much as I love and respect Tolkien, I do think that Terry has taken this genre to the next level and is now clearly, in my opinion, leading the field by a long way.

I really hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

Thanks Terry, very, very much.

Regards.

Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars A Typical Modern Brooks Weak Ending, 29 Sept. 2008
B. D. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
"The Gypsy Morph" epitomises what Terry Brooks has consistently done with his last few Shannara series' - they always end poorly, and do not match up to the promise they showed in the earlier books.

The Gypsy Morph is just frightfully dull. We never genuinely get the feeling that this is the end of the world we're dealing with here, and there isn't a single action sequence in the book with any real drive or sense of drama. Brooks has forgotten how to write a good battle scene - the last good ones he wrote were in "First King of Shannara", which was published twelve years ago. These days, he thinks he can write a battle which is three pages long and described only in passing detail and get away with it. Well, he can't.

He also introduces his customary Sucky Assassin Villain. This is the obligatory bad guy he must have who is billed as the most dangerous killer in existence who has never failed at their job - but mysteriously is completely inept once they come into the story. In the "Heritage of Shannara" series it was Pe Ell. In the "High Druid" trilogy it was Aphasia Wye. This time it's the Klee, which was built up in the first two books of this trilogy as an unstoppable killing machine. When we encounter it, it's just useless and bizarrely has to resort to sly tricks when it's supposed to be a lethal brute, and then gets pawned without having done anything befitting its label of the "most dangerous thing ever".

Findo Gask was also a very poor villain. The man does nothing except send others to do his bidding, and scheme and scheme and scheme with no apparent purpose or long-term goal in sight. Brooks or his Internet mouthpiece, Shawn Speakman, would no doubt defend this by suggesting that it represents real "bad guys", such as bin Laden, who sits in a cave and gets others to do his dirty work for him. And that's just great. But it makes for a dreary fantasy story.

If all this sounds pretty harsh for a three-star review, it wouldn't be a surprise. I have great respect for Terry Brooks. I have met him and he's a really nice guy. And it was his books that got me into reading in the first place. And so I always have great hesitation to really slate one of his books. But in my opinion the "Genesis of Shannara" series has not been worth the time he took to write it and the time I took to read it, and this book was a particularly poor representation of a man with much greater talents.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Shannara trilogy. A disappointing book though, 15 Sept. 2008
Kaelidan (Milan, Italy) - See all my reviews
As a fan of all things Brooks I approached the Genesis of Shannara trilogy with more than just a little eagerness. And actually the first two books of the series lived up to my highest expectations: never had I witnessed such a natural blending of the fantasy and post-apocalyptic genres. Mr Brooks made me dream of worlds of magic and epic fights already when I was a kid, and in the pages of said trilogy he is able to make such suggestion even stronger, by drawing up a future which - in its basic outlines - could very well be our own. Needless to say I have been devouring the previous two books page after page and pre-ordered this book months in advance.

...so you can all imagine how bad I feel when confessing it left me with a sour taste in my mouth: the characters the author introduced and painted so well in the previous two books seem just to fade to flat two-dimensional figures: pale ghosts of the "real" persons with feelings, inner struggles, doubts and passions that the author so aptly created in the beginning of the series. The most annoying symptom of this is maybe the love story between two of the main characters (I won't spoil it to you), who just meet and fall in love within the span of a couple of lines. Now, I'm totally in favour of romance as a fundamental part of any novel, but this love story seemed as though it was thrown into the melee at the last moment, without any effort whatsoever to develop it properly (as Mr. Brooks proved to be capable of doing over and over).

In the same way events seem to go on almost randomly, sketched in their essential lines, seemingly happening without a proper reason, with the characters strolling almost aimlessly as badly-motivated actors following the screenplay eager to get it over with.

A shiny example of this is the powers of Hawk, as well as those of another character, which appear and disappear completely on their own, without any explanation at all given or even attempted.

Or the ending of the book, which should have been the link between a world we know well from our everyday life to the world of Shannara we learnt to know from Mr Brooks' books. It's none of that, and if you wanted to know more about what exactly did change or what happened to the powers of the old world (the Word and the Void come to mind) in the Four Lands... well, you will be disappointed (I hope such a transition will be the focus of a new book).

It's like this book was released due to a scheduled deadline, and way before it was properly polished. Don't get me wrong, what I always loved is there: love, drama, interesting plot twists and epic battles (not to mention the fact that I read the whole book in two days)... I just wish there could have been a chance for the author to polish it further in order to make a worthy ending to a spectacular trilogy.

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing end to the trilogy, 28 Mar. 2009
Firstly, I am a BIG fan of Terry Brooks and have read the entire Shannara series...more than once.

This title was a true disappointment and what a shame as it had such potential. It in no way compares to Brooks' earlier Shannara books and was much worse than the Word/Void series.

The main problem seems to be that the final book is just soooo rushed. The characters are not explored in detail, major plots are given barely a page and the story line just felt odd. For example gone are the days when Brooks would bring major battles to life, and yet in this book there were plenty of opportunities to do just that. In the end this was meant to be the book (and series) that makes sense of the whole fantasy world of Shannara and how it all began. Instead what was served up was a weak and very improbable story line, no twists, shalow characters and not much else.

Anyway I could write many more negatives but that might give too much of the story line away so lets just leave it at that. Its up to you to find out!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but the, 25 Feb. 2009
Mr. S. D. Halliday "Assistant Professor of Ec... (Northampton, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
With they Gypsy morph, Brooks concludes the series begun in Armageddon's Children (Genesis of Shannara) and continued in The Elves of Cintra. Brooks resolved the series well, tying up most of the loose ends that would have had most fans wondering how, why and when certain things were going to occur. However, in some instance his portrayal of events seems pat and formulaic. I wanted him to produce more excitement, to make certain battle scenes more memorable, and, frustratingly, some of the battles which we had been waiting two books for just went by more quickly and with less memorability than I would otherwise have liked.

Nevertheless, I raced through The Gypsy Morph and it provided suitable company for 20 hours of flying and stopovers. It is good action fantasy, but sometimes Brooks could have done more. I also felt that the end was a bit dull and could have been more exciting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hoped for great, found only good., 14 Jan. 2009
SonicQuack (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Gypsy Morph seems a little out of kilter with the rest of the series. This final volume contains all the classic requirements of what makes a true Brooks story, the heart-felt challenges, the epic struggles, the fight of good vs evil and a plot which writhes like a snake, however something is amiss. For the first time we have a real sense of exactly what is going to happen and although plenty of new elements are brought in to play, there's no real gasps of surprise. The once fresh scenario of Armageddon's Children is now just the expected background, where more pointers to Shannara would have been welcome. The book is still a good read, guaranteed to be a page-turner, however it lacked the sparkle previous books have created.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant series of books, 28 Jan. 2014
D. Kingsley (UK) - See all my reviews
This is one of the better series the author has written. It is full of magic, adventure and the description of scenery is stunning. I don't have the kindle version yet due to the high price of £5.99, so will wait to it is more reasonably priced. Have noticed that Amazon tend to take one book out of each series and have it at a much higher price than the rest, which are priced much lower at approx £4.00. When your buying a series of books, you tend to buy them all to complete the series, however, as I have the paperback this price tactic does not work on me, so am prepared to wait until the electronic version is priced more appropriately.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic Brooks, 3 Dec. 2010
If you are a fan of the Shannara series of books then this is a must. The last of the 'Genesis' trilogy concludes the story of how the old world came to pass and the world of Shannara started.

If you have never read any of the Shannara books then start with this trilogy and move on to the rest. Or even start with the 'Word and the Void' series which is also excellent and takes place prior to the Genesis trilogy but is not directly linked.

Brooks weaves a great story and immerses the reader in the world he has created. At the height of the action you will have to remember to breath. This is not Tolkien, but it is the next best thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars closure, 4 Aug. 2010
Genesis of Shannara trilogy closure.

One must love the way this book closes down the gaps between many of the characters and ends the chase.

I didn't understand the way Panther and Cat move on tho.Total annihilation or safe heaven ? Hard choice there.
Cat runs back to the world she is running away from in the first place?!?!
There is no consistency here...

For anyone reading this review...Buy this hole trilogy.
Will get you crunching the pages like crazy.
Much more than just an interesting read.

The Gypsy Morph: Genesis of Shannara Book Three
The Gypsy Morph: Genesis of Shannara Book Three by Terry Brooks (Hardcover - 4 Sept. 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01