5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing End to the Genesis of Shannara Trilogy
Published on 5 Sep 2008 by Mr. I. P. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars A Typical Modern Brooks Weak Ending
"The Gypsy Morph" epitomises what Terry Brooks has consistently done with his last few Shannara series' - they always end poorly, and do not match up to the promise they showed in the earlier books.

Published on 29 Sep 2008 by B. D. Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing End to the Genesis of Shannara Trilogy, 5 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Gypsy Morph (Genesis of Shannara) (Hardcover)
In my humble opinion, this is the best trilogy that Terry has ever written, which is saying a lot, and the final book was wonderful, best of a great series. Superb character development and interaction, fabulous plot(s), amazing action, inventive story lines etc., etc. OK, you spotted that I am a die hard TB fan, but, even so, I was utterly enthralled with this final instalment. There will be no spoilers here, as you really do need to read this for yourself.

Much as I love and respect Tolkien, I do think that Terry has taken this genre to the next level and is now clearly, in my opinion, leading the field by a long way.

I really hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

Thanks Terry, very, very much.

Regards.

Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars A Typical Modern Brooks Weak Ending, 29 Sep 2008
B. D. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Gypsy Morph (Genesis of Shannara) (Hardcover)

The Gypsy Morph is just frightfully dull. We never genuinely get the feeling that this is the end of the world we're dealing with here, and there isn't a single action sequence in the book with any real drive or sense of drama. Brooks has forgotten how to write a good battle scene - the last good ones he wrote were in "First King of Shannara", which was published twelve years ago. These days, he thinks he can write a battle which is three pages long and described only in passing detail and get away with it. Well, he can't.

He also introduces his customary Sucky Assassin Villain. This is the obligatory bad guy he must have who is billed as the most dangerous killer in existence who has never failed at their job - but mysteriously is completely inept once they come into the story. In the "Heritage of Shannara" series it was Pe Ell. In the "High Druid" trilogy it was Aphasia Wye. This time it's the Klee, which was built up in the first two books of this trilogy as an unstoppable killing machine. When we encounter it, it's just useless and bizarrely has to resort to sly tricks when it's supposed to be a lethal brute, and then gets pawned without having done anything befitting its label of the "most dangerous thing ever".

Findo Gask was also a very poor villain. The man does nothing except send others to do his bidding, and scheme and scheme and scheme with no apparent purpose or long-term goal in sight. Brooks or his Internet mouthpiece, Shawn Speakman, would no doubt defend this by suggesting that it represents real "bad guys", such as bin Laden, who sits in a cave and gets others to do his dirty work for him. And that's just great. But it makes for a dreary fantasy story.

If all this sounds pretty harsh for a three-star review, it wouldn't be a surprise. I have great respect for Terry Brooks. I have met him and he's a really nice guy. And it was his books that got me into reading in the first place. And so I always have great hesitation to really slate one of his books. But in my opinion the "Genesis of Shannara" series has not been worth the time he took to write it and the time I took to read it, and this book was a particularly poor representation of a man with much greater talents.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Shannara trilogy. A disappointing book though, 15 Sep 2008
Kaelidan (Milan, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gypsy Morph (Genesis of Shannara) (Hardcover)
As a fan of all things Brooks I approached the Genesis of Shannara trilogy with more than just a little eagerness. And actually the first two books of the series lived up to my highest expectations: never had I witnessed such a natural blending of the fantasy and post-apocalyptic genres. Mr Brooks made me dream of worlds of magic and epic fights already when I was a kid, and in the pages of said trilogy he is able to make such suggestion even stronger, by drawing up a future which - in its basic outlines - could very well be our own. Needless to say I have been devouring the previous two books page after page and pre-ordered this book months in advance.

...so you can all imagine how bad I feel when confessing it left me with a sour taste in my mouth: the characters the author introduced and painted so well in the previous two books seem just to fade to flat two-dimensional figures: pale ghosts of the "real" persons with feelings, inner struggles, doubts and passions that the author so aptly created in the beginning of the series. The most annoying symptom of this is maybe the love story between two of the main characters (I won't spoil it to you), who just meet and fall in love within the span of a couple of lines. Now, I'm totally in favour of romance as a fundamental part of any novel, but this love story seemed as though it was thrown into the melee at the last moment, without any effort whatsoever to develop it properly (as Mr. Brooks proved to be capable of doing over and over).

In the same way events seem to go on almost randomly, sketched in their essential lines, seemingly happening without a proper reason, with the characters strolling almost aimlessly as badly-motivated actors following the screenplay eager to get it over with.

A shiny example of this is the powers of Hawk, as well as those of another character, which appear and disappear completely on their own, without any explanation at all given or even attempted.

Or the ending of the book, which should have been the link between a world we know well from our everyday life to the world of Shannara we learnt to know from Mr Brooks' books. It's none of that, and if you wanted to know more about what exactly did change or what happened to the powers of the old world (the Word and the Void come to mind) in the Four Lands... well, you will be disappointed (I hope such a transition will be the focus of a new book).

It's like this book was released due to a scheduled deadline, and way before it was properly polished. Don't get me wrong, what I always loved is there: love, drama, interesting plot twists and epic battles (not to mention the fact that I read the whole book in two days)... I just wish there could have been a chance for the author to polish it further in order to make a worthy ending to a spectacular trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jun 2014
I love Terry Brooks Shannara series

5.0 out of 5 stars Shannara, 11 May 2014
Another kindle book to my collection have bought many of Terry Brooks books in the past and am now building up my fantasy books which I really enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant series of books, 28 Jan 2014
D. Kingsley (UK) - See all my reviews
This is one of the better series the author has written. It is full of magic, adventure and the description of scenery is stunning. I don't have the kindle version yet due to the high price of 5.99, so will wait to it is more reasonably priced. Have noticed that Amazon tend to take one book out of each series and have it at a much higher price than the rest, which are priced much lower at approx 4.00. When your buying a series of books, you tend to buy them all to complete the series, however, as I have the paperback this price tactic does not work on me, so am prepared to wait until the electronic version is priced more appropriately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Oct 2013
Once again Terry Brooks got it spot on. good read, gripping story. Recommend this and others in this series ///////

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastic end to series, 5 Aug 2013
What a fantastic end to the series. In my humble opinion once again showing why terry brooks is a master story teller. Looking forward to the next trilogy

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 19 Jun 2013
Terry Brooks totally rocks :)
Have read all his books now so waiting for more "can't put down stiff" to come out

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 29 May 2013
started off well but ended up being a trailer for his crap elf series which is a rip of lord of the rings

The Gypsy Morph (Genesis of Shannara)
The Gypsy Morph (Genesis of Shannara) by Terry Brooks (Hardcover - 4 Sep 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01