5.0 out of 5 stars Bakker once again produces brilliance.
Published on 14 Mar 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly disappointing
Being a fan of the Prince of Nothing series I was eagerly awaiting the continuation of the sprawling saga in the war against the No-God. This, however, has almost put me off. It lacks the intensity and verve of the first three novels. The newer characters (especially Mimara) seem forced and un-realistic - a huge departure from the vivid, fleshed out characters in The...
Published on 25 Feb 2009 by The Poisoned Quill

5.0 out of 5 stars Bakker once again produces brilliance., 14 Mar 2009
This is a brilliant book, every bit as good as the first trilogy. Now I have read many reviews that the first trilogy was to difficult to read or at time there was just to much Philosophy. Personally I thought the first three books were spot on but for those who didn't and read the series and are a bit nervous about starting this sequel, fear not The Judging Eye is a bit more mild in those regards.

This however doesn't take away how brilliant the start to this series is, the writing is amazing, I think the only author who bests Bakker with his writing skill is Erikson but the writing styles differ enough to set them apart. The story line has come along a great deal as one would expect based twenty years after the previous books, the main characters are all there plus some amazing new ones and thick and juicy plot lines for them.

I will give one warning however, if you have just noticed this novel here on Amazon and think it sounds great, DO NOT BUY! You really need to read the first trilogy to even Begin to understand The Judging Eye. If you're interested and you should be, I envy you. I would love to go back to when I read the first trilogy just experience the story for the first time again.

Enjoy! You're in for a hell of a ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bakker continues the 'Prince of Nothing' series with this excellent follow-up, 12 Jun 2009
A most entertaining and welcome addition to Scott Bakker's 'Prince of Nothing' trilogy.

This book follows the independent tales of Kellhus and Drusus Achamain (Akka) in a period of time that follows Kellhus becoming the God-like, Aspect-Emperor. In addition, the book focuses some attention on Kellhus's wife Esmenet and, in what appears to be a major developing side story, their son, Kelmomas.

The book is extremely well written and easy to follow, with chapters alternating between the different characters stories. Chapters tend to end leaving you wishing for more and eager to get back to that particular tale.

I enjoyed this book much more that Bakker's trilogy ending 'The Thousandfold Thought', which seemed to me to contain a great deal of philosophical discussions that I personally found somewhat difficult to follow and understand. By comparison this novel was more 'story' and thus easier to understand and a joy to read.

In addition to a well written story with great characters the book features (as per all previous Bakker books) an excellent glossary of character names with a brief description of their roles. It also has a great map of the area involved. And last but not least there is a brief summary of the story of 'Prince of Nothing' trilogy so you won't be totally lost if you don't read the initial trilogy.

Conclusion:

Bakker is back; this is as fine a continuum as I could have hoped for to one of my favorite fantasy/adventure series. I can hardly wait for the next installment. Easily 5 Stars.

Ray Nicholson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Totally Immersive Experience, 9 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Judging Eye: Book 1 of the Aspect-Emperor (Paperback)
There's no mistaking that R. Scott Bakker has talent. In the Prince of Nothing trilogy he created a rich, dark and complex epic fantasy world with enough originality and vision to suck in even the most experienced fantasy readers. Despite the first trilogy seeming to end rather prematurely I decided to revisit his world for a fourth time with The Judging Eye.

Once again the depth and quality of the prose is top notch and combines his obvious literary skill with his philosophical musings, and again the world is bleak and dark and peopled with rich and well imagined characters.

If I had to find fault in anything it would be in his pacing. It seems to take him a long time to actually get anywhere. The ride is undoubtedly rich and incredibly well imagined, but at the end of the book I found myself tallying exactly what had occurred, and felt that in terms of character milestones and events it was somewhat light. It has that second act feeling throughout, which is fine as long as the trilogy ends with a bang.

But all in all a great, totally immersive experience that seems to be building nicely to an apocalyptic climax. Let's hope he gets the finale right this time as it's a story that deserves to end on a high.

5.0 out of 5 stars R. Scott Bakker back on the track, 18 Aug 2010
J.L. Haks (ASSEN, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Judging Eye: Book 1 of the Aspect-Emperor (Paperback)
The Darkness That Comes Before is one of the best fantasy books I ever read. Part 2 and 3 of the series were still enjoyable but not as good.
But now is R. Scott Bakker back on the track. His story is still dark and complex but still very imaginative. I can't wait for the sequel, because this new book is only just the beginning.

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return to the Three Seas, 1 Mar 2010
This is a welcome return to the Three Seas, full of high politics and personal drama. We have the beginnings of an explanation of the mystery that is the Nonmen. We have two interesting new characters - Cleric and Mimara - and an arcane defence against Kellhus' power to read thoughts. Resistance to Kellhus is rising from the strangest corners of his Empire. Achamian's Dreaming takes on fascinating new overtones, whilst a standard element of much fantasy fiction - a journey in the dark through the haunted halls of a vanished race - is here rendered with power and precision and imagination. All this, and much much more, make for an immensely enjoyable read.

Two things undermine what is an otherwise excellent sequel to The Thousandfold Thought. First is Bakker's tendency to load his writing down with significance at every turn. Not a leaf can fall in a forest, not a stone can tumble down a mountain, not a character can blink but that Bakker has to imbue a weight of truth and philosophical musing to it. Some of it is good, but it often tends to bog his prose down. And second, whilst we can understand the personal hurt that Achamian nurses against Kellhus, whatever he might think of him Kellhus is fighting the good fight to bring down the Consult. Bakker doesn't really explain why that should be jeopardised, and presumably a man as learned and wise as Achamian would know that too.

These two elements aside, this is possibly his best work to date. Thoroughly enjoyable, atmospheric, intelligent, and often breathless with its pacing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulled an all nighter., 22 Jun 2009
M. Henderson (Edinburgh, UK.) - See all my reviews
I am just glad I read this while on holiday. Its not quite as polished stylistically as the first trilogy, there are a couple of Americanisms in the dialogue that don't fit, but that's a minor gripe. Obviously the first books were a labour of love. If there is a small reduction in quality to produce a second trilogy quickly I don't have any complaints. I think I read some early reviews which slated the book, so I was vaguely expecting to be disappointed, but I couldn't put it down. And I saw the sunrise getting through the last third. Which I haven't done for many years. I would be amazed if this story arc is concluded in two books. I cant wait for the next one. And am loving Cleric and the Veteran.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite a feast but still delicious, 28 Jan 2014
I found myself wishing the book had more of the philosophy and inner monologue of the previous series but definitely appreciated the fact that Bakker still isn't missing any beats. It's a fantastic start to the series and I couldn't wait to get stuck into the sequel, which is currently giving me everything I want.

His books aren't "perfect" but if you like to gorge yourself on brilliant world building and genuinely disturbing themes then read em all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bakker does it again, 27 Feb 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Being huge fans of the original trilogy that brought the author to our attention we really couldn't wait to see what would happen with a revisit to the world.

What we got was a tale which whilst an introduction for the uninitiated is a tale that really stood out clearer than the original. The descriptive and prose is not only smoother but superior to the original demonstrating that the author not only seeks to improve their work but seeks to perhaps set the fantasy world even more alight with his creativeness. A great offering and whilst the majority of people coming to this are going to be established fans it can be picked up by a complete newbie with no prior knowledge.

That said I did feel that one of the characters was a sad let down (Esmenet) and felt almost as an after thought to back up the superior (Achamian) which whilst will prove their worth in later novels felt almost like a forgetten add shortly prior to deadline. I'm hoping that things will continue in a similar way to the authors original trilogy and whilst had this been a new author I'd have been worried, I'm sure that Bakker has something special planned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic stuff, 13 Aug 2014
An unstoppable continuation of an excellent series.

5.0 out of 5 stars positive surprise, 26 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Judging Eye: Book 1 of the Aspect-Emperor (Paperback)
Having been left with a sour taste in my mouth by the previous instalment in the Aspect-Emperor saga, was a bit of 2 minds as I started this book.

However Bakker goes back to good form and away from the boredom of the previous book, and I got so caught up by the action that didn't really care about all the metaphysical questions that were left unanswered in the last book. So, nothing like an interesting combination of old and new characters & a few good action scenes to keep ones' mind away from the why(s) of the world.

The Judging Eye: Book 1 of the Aspect-Emperor
The Judging Eye: Book 1 of the Aspect-Emperor by R. Scott Bakker (Paperback - 21 Jan 2010)
6.99