Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 October 2010
Tom Holt has written in the the area of comic fantasy for years and he's one of those authors that I occasionally find myself picking up in order to read something slightly different. The last few books he's written has combined a boring, normal job in a world where magic can happen, your boss can be a goblin and at any point you might be trapped in a repeating loop. This books follows a similar theme with the `hero' Chris a salesman trying to flog rubbish magical items to real magic shops. I use the inverted marks over hero as Tom Holt's heroes tend to be less heroic than just lazy, useless or just plain ordinary. It's this ordinariness that tends to make Holt's book sparkle as anyone can relate to the boring office job with repetitive tasks. This time though something was a little lacking for me. Some of the observations were spot on, while a lot failed to hit the mark for me. What kept me reading was the intriguing stop involving continual demon attacks and how Chris was involved. The separate points didn't make a complete picture and I felt slightly cheated that the plot was a bit incoherent. Overall, this was a different read but not one I'll remember in a few weeks
on 18 April 2012
I bought this one due to a review by another purchaser based on their statement if you like Terry Pratchett you will like Tom Holt.
It was a pleasant enough read but liking Terry Pratchett didn't make this book as good as his and unfortunately I was a little dissapointed.
on 13 May 2010
Hi there. Well, first of all I'm French and that doesn't make the most suitable person to critic a British novelist.
I bought that book because I enjoyed another one from him 'The portable door'
Tom Holt is brilliant in the way that he mixes magic with reality in a unique clever and humoristic style.
This book is great to start with for many reasons (story line, characters, set up etc ...) and it carries on like that for a long while. The only reason why I was a little bit disappointed was that it became too complicated for me in the end and I don't think that was necessary, like trying to be too clever. Also few inconstancies cropped up and that's not something I forgive easily (I'm a bit of a maniac...).

Anyway, I will still buy books from Tom Holt because he sees things nobody else sees and it's pretty refreshing in a fantasy world where uniqueness is becoming rare.
on 12 July 2011
Excellent book, wasn't sure which way it was heading, exciting all the way through. Tom Holt is a great author, wish they were a bit cheaper though, £6.99 is a bit pricey for an electronic download. If they were £1.99 I would buy the lot.
on 23 April 2013
I love Tom Holt's world! I wish real life could be full of demons,gods and fairies! (Maybe it is?)
This was a rattling good story that kept me guessing and laughing!
My Sat Nav is even more special to me now! Bonus!
on 15 February 2015
I really enjoyed this book!! Especially the relationships between the main character, Jill, Karen and of course SatNav! Although fiction there was a truth in the love triangle with the main character at the centre of it.
on 19 February 2014
A clever, twisty tale (and possibly twisted also). Highly recommended. If you are a Pratchett fan, you will enjoy this for its surreal sense of humour.
on 6 December 2012
A sequel to the previous books which started with the Folding Door. It's worth reading them in order but each does stand in it's own right
on 2 January 2015
If you havent read tom holt before,you should definately get your nose in this.very funny ,magic myths and mayhem.extrordinarily silly
on 29 January 2013
An excellent example of the genre. Tom Holt, in my opinion, is right up there with Robert Rankin when it comes to story telling.