4.0 out of 5 stars Sinister goings-on at the TV studio

2.0 out of 5 stars borderline interesting
Published on 15 Nov 2010 by Rebecca

4.0 out of 5 stars Sinister goings-on at the TV studio, 1 July 2004
L O'connor (richmond, surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoke and Shadows (Hardcover)
Tony Foster (from the 'Blood' series) is working as a Production Assistant on a TV show called 'Darkest Night' about - surprise surprise, vampires. The star of the show, Raymond Dark, isn't a very nice man. We know he isn't very nice because he SMOKES, shock horror, and what's worse he smokes INDOORS, could anyone possibly get more depraved? Strange things begin to happen, a minor member of the cast dies in mysterious circumstances, and Tony notices that there are a lot of strange shadows about, shadows that seem to have alife of their own. It all seems to have something to do with special effects expert Arra Prelindrake, a mysterious woman who, as it turns out, is a refugee wizard from a world destroyed by evil. And the shadows are after her. Tony is a little out of his depth but fortunately his old friend Henry Fitzroy, vampire, bodice-ripper writer, and illegitimate son of Henry VIII, is on hand to help out. Tanya Huff always writes a good story, and this one is exciting and gripping enough. The trouble for me was that, although Tony is a nice boy, as a central character I did not find him as enthralling as some of Huff's other characters, I found myself waiting impatiently for the bits where Henry reappears. One of Huff's great strenghts has always been her creation of strong, interesting female characters, but Arra seemed to me somewhat shadowy (sorry). This is a very good book, but in my opinion not one of Tanya Huff's very best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Young gay boy saves the world from evil threat, 28 Nov 2006
Duncan Howorth (Chester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoke And Shadows (Paperback)
I found it odd to read a book with a gay hero - definitely an unusual viewpoint. The story unfolded at a steady pace as more of the "evil shadows try to take over the world" plot is disclosed and you get to watch the tv production process. Completely different from buffy the vampire slayer ! (Not) With a different take on the vampire too - which was interesting - and the relationship between vampire and victim. Easy reading and not too scary or demanding, it had an american light heartedness - no one felt to be really hurt or to really suffer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the Blood series first - good fun though!, 2 Jan 2011
Ray G (North Yorks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoke And Shadows (Paperback)
I would recommend that you read the Blood series by Ms. Huff first (Not the Blood Ties t.v. series as Tony isn't in it but worth watching for it's own sake), the characters and some of the plot will make more sense. This is one of those rare stories where one of the support characters just happens to be a vampire, as opposed to the whole plot revolving around the issue. Let alone the hero being gay.

Tony, originally a street kid from Toronto is working in Vancouver as a production assistant on a bad but popular t.v. show about a vampire detective. Through his experiences with Vicki Nelson (ex-Toronto cop & friend) & Henry Fitzroy (vampire and friend) with supernatural crimes/cases, he is a tad sensitive towards things that go bump in the night. (Lets face it, when you count a vampire as an ex, it's understandable. Puts the age-difference thing into a whole new perspective ha ha.)

Tony starts noticing shadows behaving strangely, and when a colleague is killed, brings this to the attention of Henry (also living in Vancouver, see the Blood series for the story, Blood Pact especially). Henry being Henry can't help but get involved, he's just that loyal. And nosey. More staff start getting killed and possessed (the other way around?). They enlist the reluctant help of Arra, a wizard in the literal sense who knows all about the shadows and where the came from. Unfortunately she isn't interested in helping even though she knows that it is the start of an invasion from the Shadowlord, the bad-guy from her world. They set off to stop the invasion.

As seems to be normal for Tanya Huff books, the humour is very dark and clever. Tony is gay but attracts straight guys who are possessed. The fight scenes make me glad to be female and I love the narcissistic attitude of Mason, the pretend vampire. Also that the whole thing is totally unbelievable, just what you need in a fantasy sci-fi book.

I've already ordered the other books in this series.

2.0 out of 5 stars borderline interesting, 15 Nov 2010
This review is from: Smoke And Shadows (Paperback)
Okay...so the book was written decently and it was borderline interesting, until I realized the enemy was a shadow or shadows, plural. I thought the entire shadow concept as a nemesis was incredibly weak. I honestly lost interest in the book because I thought the shadows were boring. It's slow in parts, but Huff avoids some of her earlier mistakes, like letting the bad guy tell us all about his evil plan and spoil the surprise.
I did, however, LOVE the fact that Huff made Henry Fitzroy a vampire character! I have always been a fan of everything involving the Tudor monarchy. Unfortunately, Fitzroy's character wasn't enough of a draw for me to stick with the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Smoke and Shadows, 27 Mar 2008
Mr. P. Fox "Foxxy" (Kent SE England UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoke And Shadows (Paperback)
A little slow in starting (come on action, please!), over involvement in the his job & co workers (hurry up, move it, like I care) compare to the pace of the Vicki Nelson books(cracking good reads, More Please & sooner). Liked the humour (more please). Outcome ok then so so (back to the day job, sheesh!). Book would not of suffered if trimmed by a third, to much detail on the day job which was not what I bought the book for, still I've bought the next one already so heres hoping (big Smile).

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoke and Shadows by Tania Huff, 7 Mar 2010
Ms. Lorna Barr (edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoke And Shadows (Paperback)
A thrilling adition to Tania Huff's series of books about Henry Fitzroy, mainly dealing with the streetkid, as was, Tony. Scary at times but a great read - I read it in one go because I couln't put it down.

3.0 out of 5 stars was ok, 3 Dec 2011
Lindymck (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoke And Shadows (Paperback)
but didnt keep my attention like the blood ties series did. tony and henry appear together again but they have moved from toronto to vancouver. the weird plotline didnt really do much for me and found the book to be a struggle. hopefully the next one might be better!

Smoke And Shadows
Smoke And Shadows by Tanya Huff (Paperback - 2 Mar 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01