5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely bloody brilliant!!
This is an incredible book. let me start by saying that I am already a fan - I have read the three 'Watcher' books and Saintcrow's otehr two books. I was looking forward to this one, and, not only did she not disappoint me, she exceeded my expections dramatically.

This book is awesome. The almost-didn't-see-it-coming love story and the unexpectedly striking...
Published on 24 July 2006 by Caitlynn

3.0 out of 5 stars Want something new, try this
Having come across Liliths work a while ago, it was with great interest that I picked up her latest offering. Now for most people Lilith is a new author but for fans of old she does have a continuing series that will more that grip you, yet this was the breakthrough novel, would she keep her magical past touches or would she sell out and deliver something that would be...
Published on 27 Aug 2006 by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

5.0 out of 5 stars "Dante Valentine" series book 1, 9 Dec 2010
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine Novels) (Paperback)
In a dark world in which those with supernatural abilities known as "Psions" are recognised, trained and utilised for their skills, there are those whose very rare abilities many may need and most will fear. A Necromance regarded by some as the greatest death talker of her generation, Dante (Danny) Valentine uses her skills of raising the dead to take on nasty cases of espionage and murder in order to pay off her expensive training as quickly as possible.

Gaining a reputation has a down side; when the Devil needs something done he goes to the best. Danny is given no option but to accept a new case; chase down a renegade demon and retrieve an egg. Although she normally works alone, Danny finds herself with a demon familiar. Tierce Japhrimel may be the recognised Right Hand of the Devil, but when tagging along at her heels on her hunt, he better obey her rules.

This hunt is also personal for Danny, as the demon she tracks was responsible for the death of a loved one 5 years earlier. She's got a demon sidekick with his own agenda who can't be trusted, Jace an ex-boyfriend who can't be trusted and a fellow Necromance and friend she's unsure if she can continue to trust; all seemingly willing to go to any lengths to help her take down a demon and keep her alive in the process.

Wow this is a phenomenal start to a dark, urban fantasy series. Danny is one heck of a leading lady, and the dynamics between her, Japhrimel and Jace are really interesting. Danny starts a relationship with one of them, and watching this progress amid the frenzied action that takes place will have tender romantics reaching for tissues. The worlds and societies LS has created are an entertaining mix of magic and science whilst the action is explosive and gritty; injuries sustained by plasma guns, swords and standard bullets are not pretty. There is hardly a calm moment and the twists and turns end in a totally unexpected moving finale. I can't wait to get my hands on the next few books in this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Saintcrow blends sci-fi and fantasy pretty seamlessly, 11 Nov 2010
This review is from: Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine Novels) (Paperback)
Saintcrow blends sci-fi and fantasy pretty seamlessly, creating a world where hover crafts and cyber-age drugs blend with demons, necromancers, and practitioners of magic. The focus is almost always on the action, and while there is romantic interest, Saintcrow, and her main character, Necromance Dante Valentine, are never sentimental or driven by their libidos. It is a particular feat, I think, that the reader is simply thrust into this new world, with back-story trickling in through the plot, but I never felt like I was struggling to keep up or understand terminology and technology.
Working For The Devil's plot introduces POV character Dante Valentine, a bounty hunter gifted with the ability to speak to the dead. Her day job is settling probate questions; her side job, however, is bit more action-packed. The novel opens with Dante receiving a summons from the Prince of Hell, Lucifer himself, who wants her to track down a demon who has escaped Hell with a dangerous artifact. He assigns his Right Hand, Japhrimel, to assist Dante with the task. Both Dante and Japhrimel have personal reasons for wanting to track down Santino, the escapee, and they grudgingly agree to work together. Dante assembles a crack team, including her best friend and fellow Necromance, a male witch, and a shaman. Once the hunt is on, they use all the magic, technology, and physical skill at their disposal- and still discover they might have gotten into a bit more than they bargained for.
I will definitely be reading on into this series. It's rare to find an author with an original idea, a truly kick-ass heroine, and the ability to rough up her characters and her readers to turn out a truly thrilling plot. This book was an excellent blend of action, fantasy, and science fiction that hit all of my buttons

5.0 out of 5 stars So hooked on Dante Valentine!, 8 April 2010
This review is from: Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine Novels) (Paperback)
I didn't know what to expect when i bought this book, only bought it really because i liked the cover and the title...

Straight from the beginning I was totally hooked! I couldn't put this book down and i read all 5 of them in less than a week. What amazing writer lilith Saintcrow. I could so easily picture these books as television series such as Dark Angel or even as a film.

Dante is such amazing character, although her paranoia is somehow annoying from time to time. And then there's Japhrimel.... I love him!
My only wish is that there was more books to this same series but maybe i will just have to read these over and over again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not another Hamilton clone, yay, 14 Dec 2007
This review is from: Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine Novels) (Paperback)
If you're looking for something a bit different in the supernatural / special powers / kickass heroine line, this is it. Danny is a Necromance, a raiser of the dead in a future where psi powers are as real as demons, who gets an offer she can't refuse from His Satanic Majesty, plus her very own demon to spar with in a quest to track down the man who murdered her best friend. Very immediate, sassy style, convincing world with believable technology and best of all it doesn't devolve into sex romps and moral qualms. Unmissable and unputdownable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected surprise, 16 Jun 2007
This review is from: Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine Novels) (Paperback)
I picked this book up after I read the blurb and it seemed interesting. The main reason I went for it I think is because you dont really get so many necromancy books lately, other then the Anita Blake series.

I was not expecting much, but what I got was amazing. I was instantly hooked on to Dante. She has a brilliant personality. I also found her demon protector very funny/cute in many ways.

The ending was heart-wrenching, but deffinately had me looking forward to the next in the series.

I really recommend this book to anyone who loved the earlied Anita Blake books :)

3.0 out of 5 stars What an Irritating"Heroine"!, 30 July 2008
This review is from: Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine Novels) (Paperback)
I've read all 5 of the books in the Dante Valentine series - but not because of a liking for the heroine! I found her annoying, immature, and with no redeeming qualities.

I also found a lot of the linking action between events repetitive and boring, and the continuous re-explanations annoying - how many times do we need to be told that psions don't like reading "normal's" minds for example, or that hover whine makes psion's back teeth ache, or that the scar on her was shoulder getting hot again, or that her rings were sparking, or that her "tat" was crawling (yawn).

So what made me read all five books?

One character who caught my imagination and with whom I was hoping the author would do something spectacular - Tierce Japhrimel. Lucifer's Eldest, his assassin and Right Hand.

He was by far the most engaging and intriguing character as well as having a consistent personality. And, if you will excuse the Miltonesque pun, he had the patience of a saint in dealing with a woman whose main characteristics were more in tune with a spoiled brat than a deadly bounty hunter.

I found myself reading avidly, waiting for Japhrimel to find some way to persuade Dante to grow up. (I skimmed a lot of Book 2 because he is not in it much and so the story was all the poorer for it.)

The author would have done better to have based her stories around the enigmatic demon Japh and consigned "Danny" to a supporting role. There was a fantastic sub-plot to be explored around the nature of sacrifice for love and how such a thing could rock (or wreck!) a planet.

However, it was left hanging in the wake of Dante's mind-numbing continuous gripping about her demon lover's neglect to keep her filled in on every detail of his thoughts. Maybe he didn't want to because he knew she would whinge on even if he did!!

By the time I got to the end of book 2, I had developed the knack of skimming over all the easily predictable padding (endless descriptions of the same sword and how she holds it, crawling "tats", etc) to the next bit of action with Japh in to see what he would do next.

Despite the annoyances, I did however, read to the last gasp of the last book because outside of the silly heroine and the repeated themes, I really cared about how Japh's story ended and so the author got something right - just a shame she did not expand on it and leave Dante behind.

I was rather hoping along the way, he would "fall" for someone else and dump the ungrateful Dante.

I guess Japh had to have one major flaw in his character and that was it....he "loved not wisely, but too well".

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and fast-moving story, 30 Dec 2006
Fren (Northumberland, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine Novels) (Paperback)
This is the first book I have read by this author and I look forward to reading the next Dante Valetine book. I only gave it 3 stars because I found it very difficult to read because of the way the book was bound, I had to choose between bending or breaking the spine or not seeing the last word on each line on the left side pages. Not the authors fault, I know.

Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine Novels)
Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine Novels) by Lilith Saintcrow (Paperback - 1 Jun 2006)
7.07