4.0 out of 5 stars Neat, tidy. Not bad
Published on 14 Oct 2010 by travelswithadiplomat

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish Series
Published on 12 July 2010 by BookFiend

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat, tidy. Not bad, 14 Oct 2010
This review is from: Goddess: Percheron Book Three (Percheron Series) (Paperback)
This trilogy ends very well with a twist which, whilst not quite on the levels as endings like "The Sixth Sense" go, is not bad at all. Leaves the reader thoroughly satisfied. Not wanting to give any spoilers here but the main events focus tightly on the unravelling of the lies upon lies woven throughout Percheron's anachronistic and limited royal society. Interestingly, it proves that no matter how tightly woven the web, relationships built on intrigue, blackmail and a desire for power are all-consuming but nebulous once the winds of simple truth are blown through the halls of the harem. Of course, as a reader of this trilogy, we know everything. Our omnipotent eye is simply concerned with patiently waiting for the characters to catch up on what we've known for so very long. Which is what makes McIntosh's twist impact so cleverly at the end. We are reminded, at the last, that the author controls the tale here, not the impatient reader.
Lazar, Ana, Razeen, Herezah, Boaz, Pez, Maliz, Tariq and Salmeo (actually, I get the feeling McIntosh likes the letter 'Z') et al fight, cajole, seduce, coerce their way to a rebellion as the Galinsea naval threat arrives at the very gates of the city (Byzantium, anyone?) to sweep all aside and create a new Empire. Friends and foes alike fall and march majestically onwards to an inexorable ending. Every character's motivation are all ultimately revealed as causal, lingering on a foundation of injustice - both perceived and actual.
It's a neat, tidy trilogy. McIntosh writes fantasy that clearly deals with relationships. Fights and battles are limited (it is as far from Brent Weeks as you could get). Intrigue, power and emotional manipulation dominate with gender politics a strong theme throughout all levels of the novel. It is a series that (if you didn't know the author's name) is clearly written by a woman simply by its method, characterisation and focus...and written very well.
Enjoyable. Not earth shattering fantasy but McIntosh deserves her fans admiration and her prolific pen should continue.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Lose Yourself Read, 10 Dec 2013
Was sorry it was a trilogy as this was the last book and I enjoyed reading it as much as the first two. I will have to read more by this writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy at its best, 12 May 2013
A good read, keeps you hooked from the beginning of the series to the end. Fione McIntosh at her best

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish Series, 12 July 2010
I finished the last in this series a few days ago and I've been stewing ever since. This is my first Amazon review and I'm doing this because I want to spare you the grief/rage you might feel once you've read them all. Before I proceed I must say Fiona McIntosh is a great writer. She uses language well and draws you into the story, making you care about the characters. For the most part her characters are fleshed out and at least a few of her villains go beyond being one dimensional. But I suspect she may have been on some kind of medication when she wrote these - medication that makes her want to inflict pain on others. Because by the very end the best phrase I could come up with to describe the experience was "suicide inducing". Yes, it was that depressing.

The first book (obalisque) had a frustratingly retarded ending. The second, (emissary) could have been cut in half. There was just too much of it, with lots of unnecessary bits. The third (goddess) was better than the 2nd simply because you knew she had to finally stop writing now so you were at least assured of some story conclusion.

I wanted to kick her in the shins by the end. I wanted to ask why she made us care about the characters if she was going to demolish them emotionally? All the main characters felt so much pain and had no fulfillment from their lives that at the end I wished someone would have warned me. So that's what I'm doing, warning you. if you end up buying these books (and note, if you want any kind of plot resolution you have to read to the bitter end of the 3rd book) then I throw up my hands, for I cannot be blamed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiona MacIntosh series, 18 Aug 2012
Rereading these series and discovered I had not bought the third book in the Percheron trilogy as it had not been produced when I bought the first two. Thoroughly enjoyed reading all three though some of the torture bits are unpleasant. Does the author have a thing about castrating men? Good ideas and characters throughout.

Re read the Trinity series and comments are much the same. if you like fantasy then these are a good read from this author

2.0 out of 5 stars Goddess, 25 Aug 2010
I fail to see how anyone can give this title a 4 or (gasp) 5 star rating.

McIntosh was one of my favourite writers and her first series, Trinity, was absolutely top notch. This time it was a real slog for me. I only finally made it to Goddess just to see how the whole thing would pan out; my own sense of ennui after Book 2 felt vindicated by the time I reached the conclusion. Turgid writing, endless looping of plots and whole nonsense with Ana and the gods made for an unsatisfying read.
This was a 2 parter at best and had been stretched to 3 books for the sake of marketing I imagine. Shame as I still admire McIntosh and I do hope she gets back to the highs of her earlier works by tightening her plots, presenting properly developed characters one can empathise with, and not spinning matters out where there is little need.

It tends to be too late for some of us to back out at this stage, but to those contemplating this series at the outset be aware that the promise of Book 1 may not be realised for you. Certainly was not for me. Again, shame. Well at least there's still Rothfuss and Weeks et al!

3.0 out of 5 stars very hard reading, 11 Sep 2010
Mr. K. W. Moseley "Drex" (LEICESTER, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
it's hard work reading her books though once you've bought the 1st in a series you have to get the rest to find out what happens in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars fiona godess of magic, 22 Sep 2009
K. M. Cohen (essex county uk) - See all my reviews
you cant beat fiona for this kind of book robin hobb has a real competiter here

Goddess: Percheron Book Three (Percheron Series)
Goddess: Percheron Book Three (Percheron Series) by Fiona McIntosh (Paperback - 5 Jun 2008)
7.62