5.0 out of 5 stars Sack the editor, hail the author.
It's always hard writing a review for every book in a trilogy, and normally I'd simply write one for all three books on the final instalment. The Age of the Five however will be an exception in my aim to persuade you to read it. You wont regret it - trust me.

Don't worry though; I won't reveal any spoilers.

In the Priestess of the White, we start in...
Published on 14 Jan 2009 by L. K. Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Gods!
Published on 5 April 2006 by Nick Brett

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Gods!, 5 April 2006
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Priestess Of The White: Book 1 of the Age of the Five (Hardcover)
The start of a new series following the author's success with the Black Magician trilogy. This is set in a world ruled by Gods who have five representatives 'The white' - powerful sorcerers who govern on their behalf. These sorcerers are the good guys (and girls!) and they use their powers and influence for the good of the world. The story is about a young girl elected to The White and how she develops her powers against a backdrop of invasion, evil-doing and 'forbidden love'...
It's not bad although similar in many parts to her previous work. It rattles along at a fair old pace until it ends somewhat abruptly. While the story possibly has more appeal to female readers it certainly kept me engaged and I am a middle aged male (but ageing well, honest!!)
This is solid enough stuff and the proof of the pudding is always whether or not you will buy the next in the series. And I will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sack the editor, hail the author., 14 Jan 2009
L. K. Taylor "Book-Junkie" (England, UK) - See all my reviews

Don't worry though; I won't reveal any spoilers.

In the Priestess of the White, we start in a strange new world both as dissimilar as similar to her "Black Magician" world in many ways. It is all a little overwhelming for the first few chapters and you find yourself wondering where you are as she flits through characters. Later you appreciate her use of this writing tool when she uses it to subtly reveal the intricate details and deviances of her plot throughout all three books. Whilst some characters are used for just one instance, you begin to love those that are used constantly as they're built up gradually throughout their individual journeys, before all merging into one at the end of The Voice Of The Gods.

Trudi Canavan's world contains magic, gods, priests, sorcerers and politicians among others, and they're all intricately woven into a complicatedly wonderful storyline that has just the right amount of mystery. World order is seemingly simple at first, but as we begin to get drawn into the numerous goings on around the main character Auraya, we realise that the world order is not as simple and righteous as it appears. The details of the world, story, characters, history and religions are all gained gradually through the eyes of the characters rather than long winded exposition and descriptive narrative, which adds mystery and the desire to find out more.

As the trilogy progresses, the story lines interweave and becomes more and more complicated, but what's great is that it never gets tiresome or tedious. There is always something new going on, and it always relates to or becomes significant at some point in the future. For this I applaud Trudi Canavan. The light bulb that goes off whenever one puts two and two together when reading a story, or when some seemingly insignificant point becomes significant is always a delight and I haven't seen a series of novels so well planned and consistent since the Harry Potter books.

If you like fantasy you can't go wrong here. If you like something more than a farm boy with hidden powers, you wont be disappointed. If you like a bit of grit and passion in unexpected places with more mature themes, again you can't go wrong and it all makes for a wonderful and entertaining journey that is as colourful and elaborate as it engaging.

Though I did thoroughly enjoy these books, they weren't absolutely perfect. Though their strengths more than make up for these imperfections I feel that I must highlight them for the sake of being fully informative.

First weakness: Auraya is very much like Sonea. This becomes apparent even from the prologue. The only difference is that Auraya is older and in a position of power and acceptance. If Sonea were in the same position, she would be the same as Auraya in my opinion. However I loved Sonea, so I didn't mind. Others might.

Second weakness: Not so much a whiz-bang finale in The Voice of The Gods. All the preparation for the ending was done in the previous chapters and though Canavan tried to give it a bit of tension by flitting to different characters in short bursts, it wasn't quite as exciting as The Black Magician's ending.
The ending was clever and satisfying (as everything fell into place and a certain someone got their comeuppance), but it was subtle. If you want raging battles and thirst for the deaths of half the main characters, you may be left feeling like you missed out.
Do not be deterred by this, there is plenty of tension and excitement throughout the books and the Priestess of the White has a very magical ending.
...Actually, I should correct myself; it IS a satisfying conclusion BEFORE Trudi leaves us with an intriguing epilogue- sequel anyone?

Third Weakness: The editing.
You'd think if you were going to put a book on the shelves, you'd do it properly. For the other two weaknesses, they are more than made up for in other areas, but there is no excuse for bad editing. When Trudi Canavan switched character, in every instance she used a line break before the next paragraph. I was appalled when I found one missing and the characters just switched without warning. If you're going to use a tool, use it right. If missing it out wasn't the author's doing, she should hire better editors/ whoever was responsible. Not only this, but I found accents over letter E's and A's, exclamation points and apostrophes where they shouldn't have been, even words miss spelt or with a letter missing. I ended up correcting things myself and put in the line break with a pencil and ruler.
Sack the editor Trudi.

But I implore you - please don't let this put you off!
It was a joy to read. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found myself theorising story possibilities out loud, I cheered when I felt happy and cried when something bad happened. This was down to Trudi Canavan's excellent story telling skills and her ability to draw you into the emotive storyline in a world rich in detail, settings, races, religion and politics. It was just... great.
The covers were pretty nice to :)
Please read it, you wont be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Compare!, 1 May 2006
NE Ellis - See all my reviews
Yes this book isn't as good as Trudi's BMT, but its only the first of three.(The Magicians Guild wasn't the best of the three in the Black Magicians Trilogy either). Trudi has undoubtedly grown more confident in her writing, and more adventurous. Although there are similarities to her other work, this book is on a much larger scale. The imaginative race of the Siyee and the story of Tryss is yet another great sub-plot. Aurayas life having changed after becoming a white (and immortal)causes emotional problems of her heart and what is right in the eyes of the Gods. The wonderful sub-plot of Emeryl, which later joins up with the main story is also intruging.It is slow to start but once you get into it, it's really hard to put down, leaving you wanting more once its over. My only reservation is how many characters are introduced in it, could potentially be confusing. However, this book is a great new addition to any fantasy book lovers library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 8 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This is an interesting novel that tries to tackle the idea of religion but it is too like her previous trilogy. Auraya is too like Sonea from The Black Magician trilogy and Ithania is too like Kyralia due to the old fashioned customs and how magic works. This book is enjoyable but isn't in the same league as The High Lord which is, in my humble opinion, Canavan's best work.
My advice: read The Black Magician trilogy and then read this for your Canavan fix.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as the Black Magician!, 21 Jan 2007
After reading the reviews and listening to friends telling me this was not as good as the Magician Trilogy, I was reluctant to read these books but then a friend bought me the the Priestess of the White and The Wilds for Christmas and I have to say they are superb, perhaps it's because I read other books in between (after finishing the Magician Trilogy) and wasn't really expecting it to be that good but was I wrong! I have not been able to put them down often missing my stop on the train as I was so engrossed. I also disagree with reviewers who said they were difficult to get in to, I was hooked from the start. If you enjoyed the Magician Trilogy then you will definitely enjoy these books.

4.0 out of 5 stars reader, 19 April 2006
Not the best book I've ever read but good enough to keep me interested in buying the second installment which should be good...its a slow starter but like most triologies the second book is better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Specific Comments, 28 May 2011
Mr. J. Dow "Choobs" (Livingston, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Disclaimer: I'm reviewing the Kindle edition of the book here, and not the content of the book itself.

DO NOT buy this on Kindle. The formatting (or lack thereof) is atrocious. Admittedly, I should have tried a sample first, but knowing the author's work I didn't think that would be necessary. It is. There is NO indentation for speech of new paragraphs. There are no spaces betweens sections. Effectively, the text is just one long and continuous mess.

Given that Amazon don't seem to push updates to Kindle purchases, I guess the only way to see if the formatting is fixed in future is to periodically try a sample. In the meantime, stay clear.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 5 Dec 2005
By A Customer
Worked in Oz a few years back and read the Black Magician Trilogy there. Out a few months before here as I believe Trudi Canavan is an Ozzy. Went back recently for a holiday and was pleased to see this, her new book out in paper back. Consequently have read it before it comes out here in Feb 2006.
Really enjoyed the book. Centres around a priestess, Auraya, who becomes one of the gods five 'chosen'. Given the gift of immortality and various other magicsl gifts, this first book in the series deals with Auraya's transition into her new role and sets the scene in a land filled with interesting characters and scenes.
I thoroughly enjoyed the book and am really looking forward to the next one in the series. If you enjoyed her first trilogy (read it if you haven't yet!) and like me are a fan of David Eddings (Belgariad & Mallorean, not the weaker Elder Gods stuff) and David Gemmel and other decent fantasy, youll enjoy this I hope.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 21 July 2007
This is the first book in a new trilogy. For some reason I had mistakenly thought that this was a continuation of the "Magician's Guild" series, which I read last year and which I rather liked.
However, in this, the first of the "Age of the Five" series, Trudi Canavan presents a completely new world and new characters. Auraya, the main character feels perhaps a little lightweight compared to other heros and heroines of fantasy, but the book is nicely written and quite enjoyable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable reading, 1 April 2006
I was pulled into this book through Canavan's previous work 'The Black Magician Trilogy' and must say that I am a bit let down.
Perhaps it's just because I have read only this, her first in this new series, and so have not properly got to grips with the storyline or characters.
There is little build up to the use of magic and religion and so there is little mysticism about it, it seems very matter of fact. This may have been the authors intention, but it seems to take something away from the world and leaves us with very little intruige. Perhaps a little more easing in to the concepts of what the book aims to explore could have been better.
However, as a read, I enjoyed it and look forward to the next addition.

ARRAY(0xad556e58)

Priestess Of The White: Book 1 of the Age of the Five
Priestess Of The White: Book 1 of the Age of the Five by Trudi Canavan (Hardcover - 2 Feb 2006)
12.99